BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Shifter Ball Joint (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/33693-shifter-ball-joint.html)

NascaLT Mar 18th, 2008 3:31 pm

Shifter Ball Joint
 
Yesterday I was riding on US 441 from Gainesville (FL) to Ocala. There I was going to get on Interstate 75, take that to the Turnpike and head home here to the southeast coast, planned to be about a 4 hour ride. As I enter the southbound on ramp to Interstate 75 I began to upshift. Get in to 2nd gear OK. Now, the shifter doesn't seem to be shifting. I look down and the shifter was looking pretty limp. I get off the interstate at the next exit, pull in to a gas station and remove the side cover of the LT. Shift linkage ball joint sheared at its connection. No roadside repairs here. I call BMW of Daytona Beach (they were the closest as 78 miles away); they had the part(s) and gave me directions to their shop. I did enjoy a leisurely 35mph ride in second gear through the Ocala National Forest and arrived in Daytona 2 1/2 hrs. later. Kudos to Daytona BMW. Fixed my LT quickly and I was on my way home. The ball joint was $4.50. And about 700 miles ago I did my 24k service; checked the linkage as part of it and all was well. Always have a BMW dealership (or two) telephone number programmed in to your cell phone!!

STARFIGHTER Mar 18th, 2008 4:33 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Get the new, improved, and beefier linkage.
I forget whoi bought it from.....a member of this site..................
someone else will remember or do a search................................
A much stronger product than BMW

DanDiver Mar 18th, 2008 4:40 pm

Beefier is maybe not a real cure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Get the new, improved, and beefier linkage.
I forget whoi bought it from.....a member of this site..................
someone else will remember or do a search................................
A much stronger product than BMW

~~~~~~~~~~~
My concern with a beefier linkage is possible damage to the transmission. Several people, including BMW shop people have alluded to the fact that our shifter is sort of like a fuse. I carry spare parts, but have hesitated to go with anything stronger than stock.

zippy_gg Mar 18th, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Get the new, improved, and beefier linkage.
I forget whoi bought it from.....a member of this site..................
someone else will remember or do a search................................
A much stronger product than BMW

[email protected] I bought 3 of these kits and love them!

STARFIGHTER Mar 18th, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
yes,....philjohn
great product...but don't forget the locktite.

Ted Mar 18th, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Beefier is maybe not a real cure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandiver
~~~~~~~~~~~
My concern with a beefier linkage is possible damage to the transmission. Several people, including BMW shop people have alluded to the fact that our shifter is sort of like a fuse. I carry spare parts, but have hesitated to go with anything stronger than stock.

I'm w/ Dan on this one - have to believe that the BMW engineers designed the shift linkage the way they did for a reason.

KIC Mar 18th, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Beefier is maybe not a real cure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandiver
~~~~~~~~~~~
My concern with a beefier linkage is possible damage to the transmission. Several people, including BMW shop people have alluded to the fact that our shifter is sort of like a fuse.

I'm w/ Dan on this one - have to believe that the BMW engineers designed the shift linkage the way they did for a reason.

THAT'S IT !!! You guys are geniuses !! :eek:

The BMW Engineers designed the Final Drive to disintegrate in order to save wear and tear on the rear tire !!!!! :D

I just knew there was an unknown reason for the Final Drive issue !

ltride Mar 18th, 2008 7:09 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Yes they did design it for a reason it is called cost saving. As one engineer told me if it does not break then it is build to heavy make it lighter until it breaks then add as little as possible.

Ted Mar 18th, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Beefier is maybe not a real cure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KIC
THAT'S IT !!! You guys are geniuses !! :eek:

That's right - and don't forget where you heard it first!

Tallyho Mar 18th, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Beefier is maybe not a real cure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandiver
~~~~~~~~~~~
My concern with a beefier linkage is possible damage to the transmission. Several people, including BMW shop people have alluded to the fact that our shifter is sort of like a fuse. I carry spare parts, but have hesitated to go with anything stronger than stock.

Be careful not to void your warranty(if you still have one) with the beefier part. It's considered aftermarket, not BMW recommended, and if nothing else is an excuse to deny a claim. You can also get charged up to an hour of labor if service has to disconnect the aftermarket unit from the tranny. I waited until my warranty expired to put on the beefier model. My original OEM linkage broke under warranty. I carry the second OEM as a spare. :rolleyes:

meese Mar 18th, 2008 9:02 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NascaLT
And about 700 miles ago I did my 24k service; checked the linkage as part of it and all was well.

I'm curious: exactly how did you "check the linkage"?

At every 12K service, I would pull the foot peg plate, remove all the linkages, tighten all the ball studs, grease everything, then put it all back together. I was already in there doing the service so the extra work was minimal, and I never had any problems after that.

JPSpen Mar 18th, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
I agree with Ken.

Service the linkage regularly and you'll not be having any issues with it.

I do mine about every time I change the oil. 6K.

Now, If you shift it with your entire leg/foot then it's going to break anyway.

Shifting the LT is like a little dance. If done correctly it takes MINIMAL force.

You should almost never have to bang on it. Only in a panic situation have I ever beat on the shifter. Just a slight toe lift and a quick tweak of the clutch and she shifts like butter...

John

wacolt Mar 19th, 2008 1:19 am

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
[email protected] I bought 3 of these kits and love them!

You mean these from PowerGrid? Linkage kit

ebay link clicky here

browad Mar 19th, 2008 8:51 am

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Wow, another LT rider in my neck of the woods. When my ball joint broke off the remaining threads were a bear to get out, and had to get a new ball and receiver-thingee (technical term I know). Was tooling around in 2nd for a couple of weeks while a BMW shop did warranty work via the post office.

If you're going to be stuck in a gear, second is the best one. You can't use your center stand that easily, but can go from a red light up to 60 or so.

Reid Mar 19th, 2008 1:08 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy_gg
[email protected] I bought 3 of these kits and love them!

Although I don't have one yet, I think and have heard from others these are a good upgrade to the OEM. However, not much help when the bolt from the shift pedal to the tranny linkage shears...which is what happened to me. Add a cordless drill, EZ Out, and another bolt to the tool kit!
PIA!:mad:

zippy_gg Mar 19th, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reid
Although I don't have one yet, I think and have heard from others these are a good upgrade to the OEM. However, not much help when the bolt from the shift pedal to the tranny linkage shears...which is what happened to me. Add a cordless drill, EZ Out, and another bolt to the tool kit!
PIA!:mad:

Actually a reverse drill bit and an EZ-Out are included with Phil's kit. This is not intended to be a roadside repair kit, it is a shop repair kit, or a proactive upgrade kit, depending on when you use it.

zippy_gg Mar 19th, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wacolt
You mean these from PowerGrid? Linkage kit

ebay link clicky here

I don't have a picture of mine with me, but I'll try to post later tonight. Phil's kit is a bit different and only includes the longer linkage as it is the one that tends to break.

yeoman_kp Mar 20th, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Why not manually shift the linkage into at least 3rd until you can get in for service. Carry a spare ball stud (takes up very little room) and a couple of tools in your kit for a roadside repair the next time it happens.

PhantomK12LT Mar 20th, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Beefier is maybe not a real cure
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted
I'm w/ Dan on this one - have to believe that the BMW engineers designed the shift linkage the way they did for a reason.


CAn you say the same thing about the F/D unit? ;)

Reid Mar 21st, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Shifter Ball Joint
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeoman_kp
Why not manually shift the linkage into at least 3rd until you can get in for service. Carry a spare ball stud (takes up very little room) and a couple of tools in your kit for a roadside repair the next time it happens.

I tried that when my bolt sheared...was finally able to get it into second and crip home.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 am.

BMW Luxury Touring is powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
VerticalScope Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome