Road Side Assistance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Road Side Assistance

I just purchased a 2001 1200LT. I am wondering about getting road side assistance for it. I have GEICO insurance. Any suggestions?

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Re: Road Side Assistance

Roadside assistance is included with my factory warranty, extended warranty, and insurance (21st century). If you do not have a warranty, maybe you should change insurance.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 3:47 pm

This is a recent thread that I found helpful:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ide+assistance

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Does your insurance include towing in the event of breakdown/crash? If not, get MoTow. Should support AMA anyway :-) I've had good experience with CrossCountry, but always with new bike, then extended when factory warranty expired.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Post Re: Road Side Assistance

The roadside assistance offered by your insurance may cover towing to the nearest facility, and I am sure there is a mileage restriction.

I have AAA Premium with RV?Motorcycle. Among other things it includes 1 towing up to 200 miles during the year.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 5:01 pm

We have Good Sam. It protects any vehicle I am driving even if it isn't mine and has unlimited mileage. I haven't used it but I know people that have with their bikes and RVs and they are all very happy with it.
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 5:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I use Progressive. They tow to the nearest qualified repair facility. They did really well by me last year. Over $1000 in cost for a tow/overnight storage/tow to a qualified dealer, and they raised my rate from $146 to $158 / year. I think I'll stick with them.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I use Progressive. They tow to the nearest qualified repair facility. They did really well by me last year. Over $1000 in cost for a tow/overnight storage/tow to a qualified dealer, and they raised my rate from $146 to $158 / year. I think I'll stick with them.

Jer
That is an awesome rate.... Do you have uninsured motorist with your policy? I feel like I'm getting hosed by State Farm. No towing... Never had an accident, last performance citation was 15 years ago and I'm paying about $1,000 per vehicle a year. Maybe it's just Florida!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 8:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
That is an awesome rate.... Do you have uninsured motorist with your policy? I feel like I'm getting hosed by State Farm. No towing... Never had an accident, last performance citation was 15 years ago and I'm paying about $1,000 per vehicle a year. Maybe it's just Florida!
That's just for the MC. Now my cages on State Farm is a whole other ball game. I started with a MC quote from S.F., but they ended up over twice what Progressive quoted. I don't know about uninsured motorists on the MC. When I get home today I'll check the policy.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 8:59 am

One of my issues (amongst many) is that it's great to get the bike towed to a the nearest qualified repair facility (in my case about 120 miles). The sticking point comes up as to how that bike gets back, especially if the shop needs the bike for an extended period.

Most of the towing benefits that insurances offer only tow one way, or have a mileage/cost cap that applies to round trip which kills it for me.

I had heard about Good Sam before but forgotten the name, so thanks for refreshing it. For ~$90 a year it is tempting to get that unlimited towing. I wonder if you upgrade to the Platinum membership if you can get two bikes towed at once?

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 4:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
That's just for the MC. Now my cages on State Farm is a whole other ball game. I started with a MC quote from S.F., but they ended up over twice what Progressive quoted. I don't know about uninsured motorists on the MC. When I get home today I'll check the policy.

Jer
I looked: Uninsured/Underinsured for $20k each person/$40k each accident. Certainly not full coverage.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #12 of 16 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:10 am

Thanks... That's not too bad, just means, I think, that if someone hits you and they don't have insurance ( I think about 1 in 4 in Florida are either without insurance or are very under insured) you are limited to that amount. About one day in the ER!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:41 am

You know that in Florida you do not have to have insurance on your motorcycle. Stupid, but true.

About roadside. I just got the Allstate KOA. Can not remember, some m/c forum was saying good things with this service.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:28 am

Thanks John,

Didn't know that about insurance in Florida, but I don't think I'd risk it! Been very lucky so far, but seen way too many accidents to drop it. My agent keeps coming back to "what if?" Seems the most expensive part of the insurance is the liability and uninsured motorist. If you needed it and didn't have it, you'd be in trouble.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I went with Allstate/KOA. I liked their towing the best.

George
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:12 pm

I also have a great rate with Progressive on the motorcycle - just $141 per year. Have CrossCountry for the RA. Had one "opportunity" to call them when I had a rear tire issue a couple of years ago. The first thing the operator asked me was "do you have a spare?" Just about lost it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in