Revealing My Ignorance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 5:51 pm Thread Starter
Gene

Revealing My Ignorance

O.K. guys, I'm just ignorant not stupid and not having an owners manual doesn't help. But where is the engine oil filler cap located?

Thanks

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 5:56 pm

Oil fill cap and sight glass

Right side of bike down low looking through an opening in the right side plastic.
You need a funnel to get oil in and a flashlight to see the oil sight glass.
HTH
post #3 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 6:03 pm

fill level

Fill to about 1/2 to 2/3 covering the sight glass. 1/2 is fine but I run mine at about 2/3.. it's a 2005.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 6:16 pm

BTW, check the oil on the centerstand, fill the fuel on the sidestand.
post #5 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:27 pm

Have you found the rear trunk mirror yet?

One day I noticed the funny lookin bolt, discovered it was loose, and went to tighten it.

Vuala! A hidden mirror!

It took a while before I learned that the fluid behind the glass in my saddle bake was for the cooling system.

Merry Christmas from sunny Tucson
Bob
post #6 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:48 pm Thread Starter
Gene

Thanks everyone. Found the mirror right away, and the filler for the antifreeze, but I was looking all over the bike today for a traditional oil cap. If I hadn't broke down and revealed my ignorance, I'd still be looking.

Gene
post #7 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawkfe
If I hadn't broke down and revealed my ignorance, I'd still be looking.

Gene
Don't worry, you've joined a bunch of ignorant folks here! I lead the Central East Coast Ignoramous Chapter Ya can't learn without asking questions. Welcome to the zoo!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 8:46 pm

Exclamation

!!!!! DO NOT OVER FILL!!!!!!!! ........Regards Pete
post #9 of 22 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:04 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Ya just gotta ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Don't worry, you've joined a bunch of ignorant folks here! I lead the Central East Coast Ignoramous Chapter Ya can't learn without asking questions. Welcome to the zoo!
Ask a stupid question, and appear a fool for one minute.
Don't ask and remain one forever. ( Always liked that saying )

The collective wisdom on this site is awesome !!!!
And dispensed by some of the best folks I've met.
Cheers and enjoy the ride.
post #10 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 6:52 am

Smile

The collective wisdom on this site is awesome !!!!
And dispensed by some of the best folks I've met.

That's easy for you to say!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 7:25 am

Hey Gene, How much tupperware do you have to remove to find a oil filler cap on a H-60??

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:46 am

My wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Fill to about 1/2 to 2/3 covering the sight glass. 1/2 is fine but I run mine at about 2/3.. it's a 2005.
Ok guys this thread was started by a newbie. In my soap box.

Wonder how you can measure how much oil goes into your motorcycle via the sight glass? 1/2? 2/3?.

The "manufacturer" of this motorcyle design, built, tested this engine to run with 4 quarts of oil. Done, That's it, I don't care how cooler, hotter, lighter, heavier the bike will run with .71 or .69, or even .00000003 quarts less in the engine. When telling someone new how much oil to put in would it not be safer, easier and a lot less 1/2? 2/3? measuring of a sight glass you can't even reach, if they just put what the "manufacturer" tells them to.

And ride safe.

Out of my soap box.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #13 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
Wonder how you can measure how much oil goes into your motorcycle via the sight glass? 1/2? 2/3?.

The "manufacturer" of this motorcyle design, built, tested this engine to run with 4 quarts of oil. Done, That's it, I don't care how cooler, hotter, lighter, heavier the bike will run with .71 or .69, or even .00000003 quarts less in the engine. When telling someone new how much oil to put in would it not be safer, easier and a lot less 1/2? 2/3? measuring of a sight glass you can't even reach, if they just put what the "manufacturer" tells them to.
Ah, if life were always so simple.

BMW didn't design this bike around the concept of 4.0000 qts of oil in the crankcase (and if they did design for a specific oil quantity, wouldn't you expect it to be in liters, as in 4.0000 L)?). Besides, after the initial fill, you'd never know how much is in the crankcase, even if you put 4.0000 qts in, due to the residual left behind when the cranckcase has drained. People attach far too much significance to specific numbers without considering either the objective or the tolerance range surrounding the specified quantity. In fact, "just put in 4 qts" during an oil change will, on many (most?) bikes result in the oil level being out-of-sight high.

A far better indication of what BMW "designed" the engine for is built into the side of the engine -- a sight glass that includes BMW's desired oil level within its indicating range. You won't find much better proof that BMW doesn't want a specific volumetric quantity thrown in without regard to the actual engine needs. Instead, they want you to ensure the oil level is within a specific range, defined by the sight glass, i.e., within a +/- tolerance represented by the top and bottom of the circle in the sight glass.

So, the original suggestion of 1/2-2/3 of the sight glass remains good newbie guidance (particularly for new engines, which will burn off a bit of oil during the first 10-15K miles of break-in -- 2/3 provides a bit more "buffer" in case the newbie doesn't check the level often).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #14 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:43 am

Wink

And remember, There is no sense in being dumb if you can't let it show!!

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #15 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 2:35 pm

And remember, There is no sense in being dumb if you can't let it show!!

Now that's funny!
post #16 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 4:51 pm

Ignorance isn't not asking the question ignorance is not even knowing the question exists. Now stupidity, that may be not asking the question and for sure is another whole can of worms!!!!!!!

Earl J. Reber

2005 K1200LT Ocean Metalic Blue
1998 Honda Shadow Aero
1949 Cessna 195
1966 Citabria 7ECA
post #17 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 5:33 pm

Holding my breath here as this is coming purdy close to becoming an oil thread. (am I purple yet?)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Purple is as purple does

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Holding my breath here as this is coming purdy close to becoming an oil thread. (am I purple yet?)
Let your breath out. Now count to 10. Now take a deep breath and hold it.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #19 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 9:01 pm Thread Starter
Gene

Oil in an H-60

Hey Gene, How much tupperware do you have to remove to find a oil filler cap on a H-60??

Steve,

Easy. Open the engine cowling door and there is a big yellow oil filter cap marked 7.6 quarts. Believe it or not there is even a sight guage on each side of the oil tank reservior. If only the LT was as simple as the H-60.

Gene
post #20 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 9:58 pm

Thumbs up Cool

Quote:

Steve,

Easy. Open the engine cowling door and there is a big yellow oil filter cap marked 7.6 quarts. Believe it or not there is even a sight guage on each side of the oil tank reservior. If only the LT was as simple as the H-60.

Gene
I have to remind myself everytime I go to the LT where the site glass is. Keep on training our trrops. BTW, Pavehawk is the Air Force Air Rescue Unit right?? Or at least that's the only one I remember being called "Pavehawk".

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #21 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:08 pm Thread Starter
Gene

Pavehawk

Steve,

The Pavehawk is the Air Force version of the Army Blackhawk. Primary differences are in-flight refueling, hoist capability and upgraded avionics. Up until about 2 years or so ago you had Rescue Units and Special Ops units. Now all Air Force helicopters come under Special Ops(even though they still perform rescue). I'm an instructor at Kirtland AFB, NM which is the "schoohouse" for the helicopters and the 130 fixed wing. I am strictly an H-60 instructor. Previously have flown on the Huey (H-1), Super Jolly Green (H-53) and the Jolly Green (H-3). H-3 and H-60 being my favorite. Hope I didn't ramble too much in answering your question.

Gene
post #22 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Thanks!!

Quote:
Hope I didn't ramble too much in answering your question.

Gene
No Sir! Being an Air Force Retired Dependent and Air Force myself, '71 to '76, I appreciate the extra info. Train them well!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in