Stiff Throttle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Question Stiff Throttle

I own an '02 LT which has stiff throttle action. Searching this forum has led me to lots of info on this problem including a number for the BMW service bulletin about stiff throttle action. I have spoken to my service guy and he talked about a replacement throttle opening cable and throttle closing cable which will solve the problem. The threads I have read refer to a repair kit, a throttle cable and an acc. cable. Why the difference between the service bulletin and wisdom of this forum?

Wilson High
'02 LT
Killarney, Manitoba, Canada (yes it's cold and snowy here)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Thumbs up

Wilson, Just have your shop install the new style cables, I did the change huge improvement. The new style is the same as the 05-06 LT.
Pete Murray
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02lt
I own an '02 LT which has stiff throttle action. Searching this forum has led me to lots of info on this problem including a number for the BMW service bulletin about stiff throttle action. I have spoken to my service guy and he talked about a replacement throttle opening cable and throttle closing cable which will solve the problem. The threads I have read refer to a repair kit, a throttle cable and an acc. cable. Why the difference between the service bulletin and wisdom of this forum?

Wilson High
'02 LT
Killarney, Manitoba, Canada (yes it's cold and snowy here)
The replacement kit is a recent development.

The replacement cables came out a few years ago, and for most, provided satisfactory feel (or at least eliminated the cable's contribution to throttle stiffness; the springs on the throttle rail are *real* stiff).

Late in the '05 production, BMW introduced a new arrangement at the handgrip which lessens the bends at the handlebar. New cable housing at the grip, and a new lower handlebar cover with a hole part-way down the cover for the cables to enter (previously they exited all the way at the top end of the lower cover in a tight radius).

Definitely an upgrade, but it's not clear to me that it's necessary for all cases. My '05 has the old arrangement, and I couldn't detect any difference between it and a new '05 on the dealer's floor. So, you may want to consider just upgrading the cables, rather than spending the money for the kit and the effort to install it and modify your lower handlebar cover.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Now the long wait until spring.

Wilson.
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 5:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The '05 replacement cables and repair kit are described in this thread from the old site. There are part numbers and detailed pictures of the new setup. The replacement parts cost just over $100. You don't need to buy a new lower handlebar cover, as you can just cut a hole in the old one. Besides, if you have a bike older than '05, the cover is a slightly different color.

We did this on a friend's bike and it made a big improvement for him. My '02 had the cables changed out in '03 to the latest upgraded parts at that time, which was an improvement over my original parts.

If I was buying the parts now, I'd go with the '05 improvements, but my '03 upgraded cables also work better than the original ones.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:10 pm

Stiff Throttle

My 03 had the stiff throttle problem at around 29K miles. I ordered the new throttle cables through the dealer and it was then that I (and the dealer parts people as well) found out that the cables aren't sold any longer by the part numbers that were required for my bike. They could only be procured in kit form.

That was back in June of this year. The result of the cable replacement was like night and day. The throttle went from being a real pain to operate to being like new again. Well worth the effort. Made the bike much more fun to ride.

An added bonus was that the dealer replace the heated grip assembly as a warranty no charge situation.

What ever it takes. Get rid of the stiff cables.

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 6:19 am

I went a totally different route. I went against BMW's recommendations and lubricated my old cables. I used CRC heavy duty spray silicone. I disconnected the cables at the twist-grip and removed the right lower handlebar cover. I sprayed the opening cable and worked it in by just pulling on the cable with my hand. After about 5 minutes of doing this the cable was working freely. The closing cable worked freely without any lube but I worked some into it anyway. I put everything back together and couldn't be any happier. It took all of about 15 minutes from start to finish. That was 3 months and about 2000 miles ago. I'm still amazed at the difference every time I ride. The way I see it, I saved about $98 and at least a couple of hours work and a great deal of frustration over going with the replacement cables. A friend went the replacement cable route on his LT and his is no better than mine now.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 7:13 am

Proper maintenance...

I haven't found much in life as exciting as a stuck throttle cable...

Pre-vention.... Lube. I use LPS1. You can find it at most industrial supply houses. Also excellent for other "light" oil requirements such as trigger mechanisms... and it's moisture repellant, too. Never had a broken or stuck cable or other application in 30 years of use on HD, Remington, S&W, Winchester, Springfield Armory, Ruger....etc..

Peace.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 20 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 2:37 am

Re: Stiff Throttle

Any recommendations on where to get the best price on the cables and mod kit. Local dealer is $189, best online is $159. thanks in advance.
post #10 of 20 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 8:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferg
Any recommendations on where to get the best price on the cables and mod kit. Local dealer is $189, best online is $159. thanks in advance.
I have an 02 with almost 50,000 miles and it seems like I have one of the K1200LT's without the stiff throttle problem. If I did, I would try the lubricant that several have mentioned first to see if this solves the problem. Seems a lot easier and quicker.

For me, looking at the pictures and reading about what it takes to remove the old throttle cables, leads me to believe that this would not be an easy project. I'd hate to get it all apart and then find that I could not get it back together.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 20 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I have already tried the Silicone spray injection on my cables with no improvement. Its not horrible just fatiguing. I could remove the cables for clean and lube but I'm probably at the point where I've done most of the work to replace them. I'm no stranger to tearing down bikes, I have several which I have torn down repaired and repainted. Just looking for the best deal on parts. thanks
post #12 of 20 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 4:47 pm

You could try Chicago BMW. I believe they give a 20% discount on parts. May be a little slow to ship, however.

You could ask your local dealer how much of a discount he will offer. Couldn't hurt.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #13 of 20 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:12 am

Just came home fri. with the new cables hoping for the same result as you all have had. Wish me luck.

99 K1200 LTC

00' VT 750 Shadow ACE sold

77' Yam XS750 DCrashed
/
post #14 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 9:26 pm

I thought I'd update my post since I have been able to significantly improve my stiff throttle without a cable replacement. I lubed the throttle twist grip on one of my other bikes that was slow to return to idle, specifically the plastic guide that funnels the cables to/from the twist grip. I was riding today and decided that the current situation on the LT was unacceptable so I came back home and pulled the cables out of the throttle grip housing and lubricated the plastic guide and throttle grip internals with NAPA SIL-Glyde silicone gel lube like I did the other bike. It made a huge difference, so much so that I won't need to replace those cables, at least for now and for as long as it stays that way. If your want another option before forking out $185 you may want to give this a try.
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 6:23 am

Here is an easy solution.

Ride over to your nearest hardware store and buy yourself a can of "toughen up". Easy hey.

Come on, you aren't serious are you?

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
AU.

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #16 of 20 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 8:06 am

bmw reccommends new cables at 36000 miles. I changed mine at 53000, new style plus some preventative maintenance. i had throttle cables break on my old yamaha 5 hours from home, so i was anxious to put new ones on my beemer.
post #17 of 20 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 1:16 pm

I'm absolutely serious . My wrists just don't get the "exercise" that others may get so they are kind of weak.
post #18 of 20 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:18 pm

Wilson:

I had this problem with my 2000 LT some years ago. It was a throttle cabling problem....it had to be replaced. I don't recall the details but I seem to recall they replaced it at no cost to me.

Tom Talleur
Coastal Georgia
IBA # 30573

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red with Unigo
2005 R1200 RT Red

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM (Radisson Santa Fe)
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN (Park Vista Resort)
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO (Beaver Run Resort)
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY (Grand Teton National Park)
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA (Chateau Elan and Winery)
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD (Ramkota Hotel)
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 30th, 2011, 8:14 pm

My throttle on my '01 LT felt pretty stiff, especially compared to my previous bike (Honda VTX1300C). So, I did a search on the word "stiff" hoping that I would find something about the throttle and not something else and sure enough found this thread.

So, I just went out and took the cover off of the bottom of the right hand grip assembly and spayed teflon lubricant in the cable guides and that made a noticeable difference. It definitely felt easier to twist than before. So I took it for a quick spin and the throttle was a lot easier and smoother. It was easier to twist, that's what I noticed.

So, I'll see how it holds up.

Troy

2001 K1200LT-I
75,000+ miles
Grip Puppies
RAM mount for iPhone
RAM mount cupholder
DODK64 Floorboards (driver & passenger)
Alaska Leathers Sheepskin covers
Avon Storm II Ultras
ScalaRider G4 Powerset
NGK Iridium IX DCPR7EIX spark plugs
Spiegler SS Brake lines (fronts only installed so far)
Creative Concepts extended rear brake pedal
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 17th, 2011, 2:37 pm

I'm a total klutz: I can't even get the cable cover off on my '03. I unscrewed the screw on the side, but nothing would move and I was afraid to pry. To my untrained eye, it looked like the plastic cable guides were a single piece with the cover.

Was there a preliminary step I should have taken that wasn't explicitly stated in the section of the Clymer dealing with the throttle cable (w/cruise control)?

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in