Valve adjustment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 5:58 am Thread Starter

Valve adjustment

Another interesting find with following links
http://www.gunsmoke.com/scot/k12/valve_adjustment.html

and i have attached it in pdf as well
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200RS Valve Adjustment.pdf (105.5 KB, 297 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:47 am

That has been my bible for valve adjustments, but doesn't say anythang about cat hair, nor is there a warning/admonishment/hey stoopid to keep all measurements metric (the reason I had to do the 1st valve adjustment 3 times!)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
(the reason I had to do the 1st valve adjustment 3 times!)
DOH!!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 3:45 pm

Dez, Scot Marburger's valve adjustment article on www.gunsmoke.com is in the HOW on this board. For anyone looking at it for the first time, note that it addresses the engine in the K12RS, but valve-adjustment-wise, the procedure and specs are exactly the same as for our LT engine.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:17 pm

Calculations? What calculations?

The first time I used all that mathematix to calculate what I needed for bucket thickness I got it wrong and had to do it agin.
Then I got smarter in a stoopid sorta way.... I don't calculate nothing, metric or otherwise. If a gap is too tight I put in the next thinner bucket, too loose the next thicker one. Let's see, they come in increments of 0.05, or is it 0.005? In any case this method has always worked just fine since I have never found a gap that far off.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:45 pm

They are in increments of 0.05MM, which is 0.002". (actually 0.0019685, but who can measure that?)

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:55 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
The first time I used all that mathematix to calculate what I needed for bucket thickness I got it wrong and had to do it agin.
Then I got smarter in a stoopid sorta way.... I don't calculate nothing, metric or otherwise. If a gap is too tight I put in the next thinner bucket, too loose the next thicker one. Let's see, they come in increments of 0.05, or is it 0.005? In any case this method has always worked just fine since I have never found a gap that far off.
You da man Sir Charlie! Where's there's simplicity you'll find elegance...'cause Grif said so!

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceHarrisJr
You da man Sir Charlie! Where's there's simplicity you'll find elegance...'cause Grif said so!
Surely you're joking, Bruce (I know - "Don't call me surely"). I've met Grif. "Elegance" is NOT a word that comes to mind in thinking of Grif!

And Charlie, I don't mean to pick on ya, but I wouldn't want folks to get prematurely turned away from BMW LT valve adjustment because they think they're going to run into advanced calculus. The advanced mathematix that has you confused in the valve adjustment procedure is called something else by most other folks: arithmetic. It's adding and subtracting a few numbers. Can you balance a checkbook?

Oops - I guess some folks can't. OK, Charlie, let's put it this way: if you can balance a checkbook, you can do the calculations required to adjust your LT's valves.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:00 pm

Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
And Charlie, I don't mean to pick on ya, but I wouldn't want folks to get prematurely turned away from BMW LT valve adjustment because they think they're going to run into advanced calculus. The advanced mathematix that has you confused in the valve adjustment procedure is called something else by most other folks: arithmetic. It's adding and subtracting a few numbers. Can you balance a checkbook?
Oops - I guess some folks can't. OK, Charlie, let's put it this way: if you can balance a checkbook, you can do the calculations required to adjust your LT's valves.

- Bob
My main point was that I have never found the valve clearances to be far off and having done the valves on this bike several times I realized that I didn't need to fill out a sheet with measurements; for me it has proved to be a time saver.
I didn't think my post would be a deterrent to anyone considering doing their own valves.
I was trying to be a little funny and a little helpful, maybe I failed on both counts.
And I certainly wasn't trying to be insulting.
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 8:39 pm

The more I do the valve clearance check/adjustment the more I find my buckets, intake and exhaust, are ending up being 2.90mm. My milage is around 40K. And the check and adjustment are not hard to do at all. Just follow the directions in the article mentioned. It does help to have an assistant to rotate the rear wheel to advance the cams. Even a 14 year old can do it.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:00 am

Quote:
And I certainly wasn't trying to be insulting.
And neither was I, Charlie - but when someone contemplating doing a valve adjustment for the first time reads ... "The first time I used all that mathematix to calculate what I needed for bucket thickness I got it wrong and had to do it agin." ... with no smiley faces to indicate you were joking ... well, I can see some newbies being turned off from trying a valve adjustment by reading your statement.

Or not. If not, sorry I posted as I did.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 8:14 am

Quote:
So, you are more than just a purdy face after all!

The elegance of the solution has just made you an honorary Texan.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in