Misc. shift lever pics - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Misc. shift lever pics

In the FWIW category, attached is a Word doc with a few comments on/pics of the shift linkage which I snapped while doing a bit of work on the lever. I believe you'll have to do "print preview" or print out the doc. to see the pics.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Shift Linkage Tidbits.doc (354.5 KB, 1219 views)

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 11:54 pm

Excellent photos Mark. Thanks for posting them.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:20 am

Thumbs up Excellent description

Well Mark, you have done it again! Excellent description and photo's of the shifter linkage. Even though I don't have "da Couch" any longer, I find your examinations of the K1200LT most fascinating.

Thanks for the photo essay.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
In the FWIW category, attached is a Word doc with a few comments on/pics of the shift linkage which I snapped while doing a bit of work on the lever. I believe you'll have to do "print preview" or print out the doc. to see the pics.
What's more fun? The pins or the 10mm nut to the tranny linkage? Though I've got that pin thang down now, I've not been able to make a living at it

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:43 am

Thanks Mark, excellent, I saved that on my HD for future reference1

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:47 am

Mark: A little off the subject, but what kind of camera do you use to get those closeups?

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
What's more fun? The pins or the 10mm nut to the tranny linkage? Though I've got that pin thang down now, I've not been able to make a living at it
Oh, no question -- with my fat fingers, its the pins My problem really isn't removing them, it's keeping them -- as soon as they're out *poof!* they're gone to some deep, dark corner of the garage.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
Mark: A little off the subject, but what kind of camera do you use to get those closeups?
I have a now-several-years-old Casio 3.3 megapixel Casio QV-3000EX. One of the reasons I bought it was that unlike most digital cameras at the time, it had a much better lens, with macro capability.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:35 pm

Question What snapped...

Quote:
Nice writeup Mark. But, you mentioned you "snapped" the linkage.

Which piece, where and how? Did you replace it with OEM bits or David's super threaded rod?

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #10 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 1:05 pm

Great job Mark!

I bought a replacement 'arm' (#9 in the diagram) last January, but I haven't installed it yet because I can't get #3 out!

At least now I have a better idea of what things look like without laying on a cold garage floor!

Reminds me, I need to order a couple spare clips next time I call Chicago BMW...
post #11 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Nice writeup Mark. But, you mentioned you "snapped" the linkage.

Which piece, where and how? Did you replace it with OEM bits or David's super threaded rod?
Actooly, I "snapped" some pics The linkage is still intact. I went in there because it seemed to have an unusual amount of slack, and I wanted to see if there had been any hidden damage from the tourist taking me out last May (I fell over on the left side after the hit that snapped the forks). No detectable damage, so no replacements.

FWIW, I've carried a spare ball stud and threaded rod in my tool kit for years, just in case. Why? Because I'm not convinced that strengthening the shift linkage is the way to go.

While the BMW engineers have made some famous mistakes, usually there's a reason for their design choices. In this case, I wonder if the shift linkage isn't designed to give way before internal tranny damage is done to, for example, the relatively soft shift drum. With this in mind, I've decided I'd rather have the shift linkage break and have the likely-to-break pieces with me for roadside replacement, than to take a chance on being immobilized by tranny damage. Probably not very likely that I wouldn't have at least one usable gear, but why take a chance on even an unlikely scenario if I can avoid it altogether?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Dec 11th, 2005 at 2:30 pm.
post #12 of 20 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Actooly, I "snapped" some pics The linkage is still intact.
Thanks for the clarification.

I also carry a complete set of replacement parts... including a SS link from D.S. (as yet uninstalled) for the reasons you mention.

However, I do believe I have become oblivious to the sloppy shifter... Hmmm. Have to check that out.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #13 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 8:19 am

Quote:
Oh, no question -- with my fat fingers, its the pins My problem really isn't removing them, it's keeping them -- as soon as they're out *poof!* they're gone to some deep, dark corner of the garage.
Twixt having a finger sewn back on and the damage the nun's did, I fully comprehend. Also, keeping extra stock grocks, though the poof thang doesn't exactly equivocate with the accidental drop kick of the leetle bucket I throw parts in.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 8:42 am

Magnets.. =)

Grif,
Magnets my friend, magnets. Will hold those pesky things in your "parts bucket"...

Merry Christmas!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Twixt having a finger sewn back on and the damage the nun's did, I fully comprehend. Also, keeping extra stock grocks, though the poof thang doesn't exactly equivocate with the accidental drop kick of the leetle bucket I throw parts in.
Off-topic -- I hadn't noticed the finger thang -- must been a good seamstress

That compares to my step-father's finger, which he came within the proverbial hair of taking off with a circular saw. They sewed it back on after a helo flight up to Johns Hopkins, but he could never bend it again. It really didn't bother him much, though, as it was his middle finger -- a real conversation-starter, that was

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Re: Misc. shift lever pics

Quote:
I know that I'm resurrecting this post from the great beyond, but I just had to comment that the write up and the Word doc with pictures was outstanding.

I really appreciate you folks that are willing to take your time to share your expertise with the rest of us.

Matt
Derry, PA
2004 K1200LT Black (the fastest and most reliable color, I'm told)
1998 Vulcan 800 Classic
2007 KTM 250 XCF-W
post #17 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyder01
I know that I'm resurrecting this post from the great beyond, but I just had to comment that the write up and the Word doc with pictures was outstanding.

I really appreciate you folks that are willing to take your time to share your expertise with the rest of us.
+1 Matt. Just used this printout this morning in a leetle mini-tech session with a coupla good friends. I remarked that I've had it printed for a long time, and didn't know who the author wuz. Your current post to this thread gave me the answer.

Other than fat fingers and restricted room to operate, the process went pretty smooth. Gotta tell ya tho - if removing one of the bent keeper pins for retaining a ball in a socket, and it appears nowhere to be found after you just know it went 'sproiiiiing', take a look at the sidestand's spring windings!! Can't believe that's where one of ole Toad's keeper pins found a landing place after escaping the ball. Thanks to 1jusbill1 for finding it. I doubt I'da ever looked there!!
post #18 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 7:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

FWIW it has been in the "Files" "Technical" area for some time now. Lots of other good stuff there as well.

Mark's Article

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyder01

I have to agree with Matt on the excellent information on this foam;I probaly would of never greased all four of my ball joints on my shifter if wasn;t for this forum;;but I just did a few days ago and goes in gear so smooth;take tupperware;put new radio in;service and more because of forum
Gary Emelander
2003 LT 1200
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 7th, 2012, 7:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
FWIW it has been in the "Files" "Technical" area for some time now. Lots of other good stuff there as well.

Mark's Article
True that! There's also great stuff in users posts as well. For example, cfell (Channing?) mentioned magnets. So when I was ready to pull the clips out, I got a big speaker magnet and kept it right below where I was working. When I inevitably dropped a clip, it went right on to the magnet. That probably saved me an hour of hunting for it on my garage floor!

Matt
Derry, PA
2004 K1200LT Black (the fastest and most reliable color, I'm told)
1998 Vulcan 800 Classic
2007 KTM 250 XCF-W

Last edited by jmsnyder01; Dec 7th, 2012 at 7:38 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in