I found this kicking round the web, might be usefull for some

http://www.driveawaymat.co.uk/7.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

this might be better as the lt is heavier then 300 kilogram

http://www.cyoma.com/
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 8:40 pm

Regarding the "mat" (turntable): What a great idea -- would save backing out of a garage, for example.

One problem, though: at a max. capacity of 350kg, our LTs are too heavy for it. 350kg = 774# (approximately).

The Tail Swinger seems the better way to go.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:00 am

No turntable needed

Last week I had my LT at the local dealer for an autocom issue. After a quick fix the service manager (not a big guy) grabbed the luggage rack and much to my amazement spun the LT 180 degrees on the centerstand with little effort. I guess it just takes confidence and rearward pressure to keep the centerstand locked down.
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:01 am

And also knowing you can get parts at cost if it falls over !

I don't think I would like to try and turn my bike using the rear wheel system, looks too unstable to me.
I have e-mailed the turntable people to enquire whether they have sold to other LT owners.

This is also a possibility. I like the Teflon idea.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ search "turntable"

Last edited by simoncharles; Dec 11th, 2005 at 10:14 am.
post #6 of 19 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:52 am

Hmmmmmmm..... Convert to US Dollars from British Pounds, and you find it's $85 for the small mat, and $125 for the larger one (Plus shipping from Europe). How about going to your friendly local woodworking supply store and buying a lazy susan bearing for less than $7.00 and putting a piece of sheet steel on top of it. Same effect, for a whole lot less money...

A good mail order source for the lazy susan bearing is:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family.aspx..._susan_bearing

Note Part #02Z51 is metal, 12" around and has a 1000 lb capacity for $6.50.
post #7 of 19 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:56 am

The motorcycle turntable mat that Dezrae refers to needs to be used on an absolutely smooth surface, so if your garage floor aint as smooth as a babies bum, then forget it. I bought one when I had a CBR1000F and it just did the job and no more on the first use. After that the rubber matting on the top just twisted in protest and peeled off, so it now lies in the corner of the garage unused. Waste of money IMHO, unless you have a glass smooth floor. No way I'd even think about using it with an LT.
The Tail Swinger is exactly the same, got to be a smooooth surface or it does not work, your more likely to tip the bike than move it.
I like the idea of the Lazy Susan, but built into the garage floor, got me thinking now
post #8 of 19 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:08 pm

I was considering a basic automobile wheel dolly from Harbor Freight. Drop the front/rear wheel into the dolly and have lots of movement.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #9 of 19 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 3:46 pm

Homebrew turn table

I can pivot my bikes on the center stand although the LT is a bit of a heft.
A turntable can be fashioned from a couple of pieces of sheet metal or a couple of pieces of floor tile. Put a bit of grease between the sheets and there is the turntable. A thin piece of plywood on top of the "turntable" will keep the centerstand "feet" from digging in too much and will raise the bike a little to provide a little more clearance when rotatiing.

From the low cost leader in the deep south of Vermont
johnbaker15 likes this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Dec 11th, 2005 at 3:52 pm.
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
grabbed the luggage rack and much to my amazement spun the LT 180 degrees on the centerstand with little effort. I guess it just takes confidence and rearward pressure to keep the centerstand locked down.
I did *precisely* this today in my garage (in likely hopeless hope that if I am pointed straight out, I can get across the ice in front of my garage Monday morning ). Like most things with the LT, it doesn't require brute strength, it's all technique. It also doesn't require any rearward pressure to keep the stand locked.

The key is to apply a small amount of pressure on the bike toward your body, so that some of the weight of the bike is lifted off the far leg of the centerstand, and then rotate the bike. I put one hand on the left hand grip and the other on the luggage rack to lightly pull the weight off the far leg, and also to balance the bike so that neither tire is dragging sideways on the floor. Swing the rear end of the bike toward you so that you're not pulling the bike forward off the stand. [edit] actooly, you can swing in either direction -- I realized after posting this that I pulled the front around the last time I did this [/edit]

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Dec 12th, 2005 at 4:49 pm.
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 3:29 pm

180 spin

Well, I just went out to my garage and tried the no turntable LT spin. I held onto the topcase luggage rack applied slight downward and rearward pressure then pushed sideways. Sure enough very little effort is needed to spin the bike 180. BTW my garage floor is flat smooth concrete.
post #12 of 19 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 7:13 pm

Thumbs up 180 spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
Well, I just went out to my garage and tried the no turntable LT spin. I held onto the topcase luggage rack applied slight downward and rearward pressure then pushed sideways. Sure enough very little effort is needed to spin the bike 180. BTW my garage floor is flat smooth concrete.
Works especially good if you have just changed your tranny fluid !!

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #13 of 19 Old Nov 15th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Re: 180 spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushj1 View Post
Works especially good if you have just changed your tranny fluid !!
How about checking this product out at TurnCycle. $185.00 with a lifetime guarantee. Heavy duty turntable to spin the motorcycle around with a center stand. Holds 1,000 lbs and is only 1/2" high. Comes with two rubber levelling mats to help reduce the lifting effort required to lift the bike up another 1/2".
post #14 of 19 Old Nov 15th, 2015, 6:28 pm

Smile Re: motorcycle turntable mat

The "Turncycle Centre Stand disc" is designed and built in Canada and has 100% North American content. A newer 20" disc is coming out soon, for larger touring motorcycles and BMW F800GS and KTM motorcycles with wider swept back centre stands.

Visit the website at TurnCycle or check the video's out on YouTube at "Turncycle TV".
post #15 of 19 Old Nov 16th, 2015, 5:32 am

Re: motorcycle turntable mat

So, Hi Beemerbob.

Your only two posts on this site are to resurrect a thread that is 10 years old, to post about a product, a product which website is also listed as your home page. It's your product, huh?

How about a little unabashed advertising?
deputy5211, Axle and biometrics like this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:39 am.
post #16 of 19 Old Nov 16th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Your not going to get any thing past Charlie He got U there Rob (Btz) left a few letters out of the last FOR YA

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #17 of 19 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 4:36 pm

Didn't want to offend anyone here. Just saw the post and thought about mentioning the site. Have ridden BMW's for over 30 years. I am not just the owner/designer, but a fellow rider and enthusiast as well. Turn-A-Bike, the only American producer of a lazy susan disc went out of business this year and there website is down. Have advertised in the BMWMOA magazine and other magazines in Canada as well.
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 12:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For those who like to spin their bikes on the center stand: I stopped doing it after I repaired the cracks in my center stand. I realize part of the issue is inherent with the design of the stand as it twists every time it goes up. However, spinning the bike torques the center stand in the exact fashion that would cause a crack. No more for me.

post #19 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
For those who like to spin their bikes on the center stand: I stopped doing it after I repaired the cracks in my center stand. I realize part of the issue is inherent with the design of the stand as it twists every time it goes up. However, spinning the bike torques the center stand in the exact fashion that would cause a crack. No more for me.
Dropping your motorcycle trying to back out of a parking spot would be a lot more costly than a turntable disc or trying to spin it around on the center stand. That's alright for the younger members, but as the last post said, cracked center stand would cause as much damage if the bike fell over also, or collapsed while performing the maneuver.

Again you would need to elevate the motorcycle to the same height as the disc to allow the same lifting effort required to do this on a level surface. That is why the rubber mats are included with the Turncycle disc kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in