Battery Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 8:11 am Thread Starter

Question Battery Removal

Ok guys and gals, have Kermit in the storage building for the winter and they have no electricity. I want to remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger here at the house. I've learned to check in here first before I tackle any project on this bike, it's been known to save me time and heartaches. Any tricks or tips for removing the battery? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 9:45 am

Lift the seat, remove the two screws in the hold down plate, remove the negative battery terminal, THEN the positive one, lift out the battery. Install in reverse (positive terminal installed before the negative). That's it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 10:34 am

Exclamation

And once reinstalled, before starting your LT...
  1. Turn igntion to ON (again, without starting the bike)
  2. Open throttle all the way, close all the way, then open all the way, then close
  3. Turn OFF igntion
Now you're ready to ride your LT, and rediscover what you've been missing all winter. The delusion I tell to myself over & over again while existing in this frozed HELL called the "Great NorthCoast".

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
  2. Open throttle all the way, close all the way, then open all the way, then close
  3. Turn OFF igntion
Now you're ready to ride your LT, and rediscover what you've been missing all winter. The delusion I tell to myself over & over again while existing in this frozed HELL called the "Great NorthCoast".
Joe, You're allowed to say "HELL"?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Lift the seat, remove the two screws in the hold down plate, remove the negative battery terminal, THEN the positive one, lift out the battery. Install in reverse (positive terminal installed before the negative). That's it.
Be careful not to bang your ratchet against the frame when removing the positive terminal

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Be careful not to bang your ratchet against the frame when removing the positive terminal
That, mi amigo, is exactly why you remove the neg. cable first! Take it from Sparky!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 7:20 pm

Terminal continuity

Griff: Knocking the wrench against the frame; does it matter???

If the negative battery terminal is removed (lifted) from the battery post first, then there should be no (negative) continuity to the frame when removing the positive terminal; what am I missing?

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 7:45 pm

Exclamation

You're not missing anything.

Removing the neg cable from the battery should be the first step in most any repair/project. Re-connecting the neg cable to the battery should be the very last step before saying "Tiz Done!". This is the smart way to avoid Mr. Sparky's accidental arrival to any party where tools are involved.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 8:11 pm

This sounds like

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
This sounds like Grif saying "DAMHIK!!"

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
  3. Turn OFF igntion
Joe, does that sequence do something special? (it's probably in the manual... right?)

Also: are any of the LT's settings (clock, radio stations, etc.) dependent upon the battery being in place, and if not there, won't they be lost?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 8:18 pm

If I remember correctly, what Joe is talking about resets the Motronic for the full throttle range. And yes, you will loose all you radio presets when you pull the battery.

Cheers.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
If I remember correctly, what Joe is talking about resets the Motronic for the full throttle range. And yes, you will lose all your radio presets when you pull the battery.
Got it.
So... what happens when you reinstall the battery and don't do that?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 8:28 pm

Mr Neblett, Mr Dragon, Mr Grif, Anyone???? I ferget perzactly what it does, but one of the big techie types will. I just know I pull the fuse to the Motronic once a month and go through this procedure. Seems to me it lets me retrain bike to how I ride. Also seems to bring the gas mileage back up.

We'll get a good explanation soon.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 9:09 pm

The radio presets do not go away when you pull the battery! I had my bike apart for quite some time when I had the piston problem, and when I put everything back together the presets were still there.

Same with my BMW cars, presets seem to be held in non-volatile memory.

The throttle position resetting is specified, but not really necessary. The motronic will re-train itself while riding anyway. The re-setting procedure just hastens it a little.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 9:24 pm

Thanks for correcting me Dave. I hate giving out bad info.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 11:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
Griff: Knocking the wrench against the frame; does it matter???

If the negative battery terminal is removed (lifted) from the battery post first, then there should be no (negative) continuity to the frame when removing the positive terminal; what am I missing?
You're missing the

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:40 am

Is there a vent tube on the battery? All my other bikes had a tube to the batttery, but those were acid type batteries, I now have the gel battery,does that require a tube.

Rob Steffens
2002 LTC Black
"Do We Stop Playing because we grow Old
Or do We Grow Old because We Stop Playing."
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 1:11 pm

Smile No tubes...

Gel cells and AGMs are Sealed Batteries.

Therefore, no drain tubes used or needed.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:29 am

Gracias, Mr. Townsend.

Rob Steffens
2002 LTC Black
"Do We Stop Playing because we grow Old
Or do We Grow Old because We Stop Playing."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in