Smoke Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Smoke Question

Sorry for the maybe stupid question but I just want to make sure. I have a newly bought 05 LT that I keep on the center stand. Its cold here and only drove it about 90 miles from the dealer. When I start the bike after sitting a few days I get white smoke and a couple drops of water which I guess is from condensation. After it warms up the smoke clears up. Is this normal?
It had its 600 and 6000 mile service and the dealer said they did a 50 point inspection before putting it up for sale. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:16 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Smoke Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
Sorry for the maybe stupid question but I just want to make sure. I have a newly bought 05 LT that I keep on the center stand. Its cold here and only drove it about 90 miles from the dealer. When I start the bike after sitting a few days I get white smoke and a couple drops of water which I guess is from condensation. After it warms up the smoke clears up. Is this normal?
It had its 600 and 6000 mile service and the dealer said they did a 50 point inspection before putting it up for sale. Thanks
They do tend to smoke a bit even after they're broken in if left on the side stand. The small amount of water is normal too. How many miles on the bike?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Yup.. no worries... ride it.. if you put it on the CS, I'll bet you won't have any smoke..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 7:07 am Thread Starter

The bike has 8k miles. Thanks again. I thought it was fine but needed a second opinion.
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Smoke Question

Once in a blue moon mine will smoke off the centerstand. I think she does it to let me know she rules!

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:30 am

That smoke is not an issue. They all do it to a certain extent and they have been doing it since the first K100's. Ignore it. There is no hard and fast rule. Sometimes they smoke on the center stand, sometimes on the sidestand, somrtimes not. Just start it and ride so you don't become overwhelmed by the smoke or laughter of your buddies.

These things do not need to be warmed up by idleing while you get dressed. Crank it up and ride the hell out of it. The engine is bulletproof, the rest of the parts, well ......

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Smile Re: Smoke Question

White smoke = condensation
Blue smoke= oil
White smoke that never quits= water from cooling system getting in the combustion chamber

If you park it on the sidestand before shutting it off, it has a tendency to blow blue smoke. Even if you start it up and leave it for just a short time running on the side stand= lots of blue smoke.
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 8:01 pm

When the exhaust fumes go into and processes through the catalytic converter, one of the by-products is water. It will take the cat converter several minutes to heat up to it's normal operating temperature and until then, the water will slowly evaporate.... producing steam (white smoke) and water droplets out the tail pipe.
This is more evident on a cold day. This is normal for all cat mounted vehicles (look at all the cars running around after just having started in the early mornings). BUT .. if the tail pipe still spews out whitish smoke after the engine has reached operating temperature and continues smoking while running.... then we may have cooling system TROUBLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Just Provide a good home

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake
...one of the by-products is water. It will take the cat converter several minutes to heat up to it's normal operating temperature and until then, the water will slowly evaporate.... producing steam (white smoke) and water droplets out the tail pipe.
This is more evident on a cold day. This is normal for all cat mounted vehicles...
Water vapor has been visible from car exhausts long before cat's were in use. Water vapor is a normal by-product of combustion. As far as I know, cat's don't process or absorb water.

There is, however, a big, cold muffler (and on cars, many feet of cold exhaust pipe) that condenses water vapor in the exhaust into visible steam. Once the entire exhaust system is heated up, the vapor can't condense until it cools in the exhaust stream some distance from the exhaust tip, and by then it is too diluted to be seen.
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Unhappy Re: Smoke Question

3 Way Catalysts
The materials inside a catalytic converter vary between cars. Newer catalytic converters have a two part design. The front half is a "3 way" catalyst, which burns pollutants, and reduces hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and oxides of nitrogen into water, carbon dioxide and nitrogen

........... been holding a smog license for too long ..

[QUOTE=JimH]Water vapor has been visible from car exhausts long before cat's were in use. Water vapor is a normal by-product of combustion. As far as I know, cat's don't process or absorb water. ]
post #12 of 19 Old Mar 1st, 2008, 2:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
White smoke = condensation
Blue smoke= oil
White smoke that never quits= water from cooling system getting in the combustion chamber
And black smoke = full rich mixture due to sudden acceleration. More than once when riding the LT in a group I heard "There was this huge puff of black smoke and then you were just gone!"

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 19 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:46 pm

Was out looking at a nice 2000 Lt today but when I took off for a test ride my pop who was with me noticed it was smoking blue at I throttled away. I know about the side stand smoke issue (I ride an R1200c daily and often leave in a heavy fog of blue smoke since it has no center stand).

The guy had it on the center stand when I got there so I am assuming he didn't just prop it up before I arrived. It wasn't enough for me to even notice as I rode so it is nothing like my boxer engine produces. The bike had as much power as it's prospective twin K1200LT in the old man's garage has and nothing seemed amiss yet I'm terrified of this blue smoke.

The bike has 29,000 on odometer and the price is fair, but I am thinking horrible thoughts like rings broken, cylinder scoring etc. Am I over-worrying this issue or should I run away from this like the plague? The guys says it doesn't use any oil and that it is probably just overfilled but the level is dead center of the sight glass.

Help!!!
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 9:52 pm

Would not worry about it. If mine did not smoke I would think there was something wrong. At least for the first few minutes.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #15 of 19 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Was out looking at a nice 2000 Lt today but when I took off for a test ride my pop who was with me noticed it was smoking blue at I throttled away. I know about the side stand smoke issue (I ride an R1200c daily and often leave in a heavy fog of blue smoke since it has no center stand).

The guy had it on the center stand when I got there so I am assuming he didn't just prop it up before I arrived. It wasn't enough for me to even notice as I rode so it is nothing like my boxer engine produces. The bike had as much power as it's prospective twin K1200LT in the old man's garage has and nothing seemed amiss yet I'm terrified of this blue smoke.

The bike has 29,000 on odometer and the price is fair, but I am thinking horrible thoughts like rings broken, cylinder scoring etc. Am I over-worrying this issue or should I run away from this like the plague? The guys says it doesn't use any oil and that it is probably just overfilled but the level is dead center of the sight glass.

Help!!!
Bricks don't burn oil, period. It's probably one of the best engines EVER designed, anywhere, by anybody. Truly bulletproof.

If parked on the side stand and left for 10 minutes after running oil should be halfway up the site glass. If parked on the center stand all the way to the top. Both indicate proper full levels, 3.8 quarts with an oil filter change, quite a bit less without the filter change.

In order to avoid smoking when left on the side stand simply tilt the bike to the right for about 15 seconds after shutting it down, then park. No smoke!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 19 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 8:04 am

Quote:

Help!!!

No worries all LT's will smoke from time to time it depends on how it was shut down last time, mine does it if I don't take the time to tilt the bike a bit before putting her away, its normal.

The Key here is that the bike smokes for a few moments and then stops its just burning the few drops of oil out of the cylinder. if it continues to smoke after a 5-10 mins then it might have a problem. LOL and be aware she can lay down quite the smoke screen especially if you don't tilt it to the right before sitting it on the side stand, you'll learn what not to do.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 8:50 am

Thanks for all the good info, she was smoking quite a while, I rode her several miles about 10 minutes or so and it was still puffing. I think I'm probably a little to scared of this particular one and I'll just wait for another to come along - better safe than sorry.
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 9:58 am

Quote:
Thanks for all the good info, she was smoking quite a while, I rode her several miles about 10 minutes or so and it was still puffing. I think I'm probably a little to scared of this particular one and I'll just wait for another to come along - better safe than sorry.
That's a good decision. 10 minutes is waaaaayyy too long. Even at 140K my first one would only do it for about 30 seconds before it dramatically cleared up.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 19 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is possible the PO "cut the brown wire" and "pulled the air box temp sensor" to eliminate hot weather hesitation. One or the other is OK but to do both runs the risk of too lean a mixture and severe detonation. This in turn can crack all of the piston ring lands and lead to severe oil consumption ( I know of two that did this). Maybe best to abandon however, a leak down test would tell the true condition of the cylinders. She may be alright.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in