BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Windshield motor

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BobShirley 
#1 ·
The windshield motor on my '00LT only works in the down direction. My mechanic says I need a new motor for $500+ plus installation. My thought is that if the motor works in one direction it is still OK, and the problem is in a switch or relay. Not knowing much about electrical circuits, I could very well be wrong. Any help from the experts out there in LT land?

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC

#2 ·
Does it work going up if you're not moving? If it does turn out you need a new one, and you're mechanically minded, you can get a used motor for a lot less, and do it yourself.

There are some used parts guys that sponsor the site, and they could hook you up.

#3 ·
BobShirley said:
The windshield motor on my '00LT only works in the down direction. My mechanic says I need a new motor for $500+ plus installation. My thought is that if the motor works in one direction it is still OK, and the problem is in a switch or relay. Not knowing much about electrical circuits, I could very well be wrong. Any help from the experts out there in LT land?

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC
Two are on eBay right now for a Buy It Now price of $159.00 plus $8.00 for shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...010QQitemZ200163737277QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...hZ010QQitemZ2485893497QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

#4 ·
Windshield motor relays

Stop! There are 2 grey relays under the cover on top of the dash. Remove the windshield, 4 screws. Remove 6 visable screws on the top and one behind the dash light. Reverse the relays if it goes in the direction it didn't before, get another relay. Could save hundreds!

#6 ·
Re: Windshield motor relays

suzbmwhnd said:
Stop! There are 2 grey relays under the cover on top of the dash. Remove the windshield, 4 screws. Remove 6 visable screws on the top and one behind the dash light. Reverse the relays if it goes in the direction it didn't before, get another relay. Could save hundreds!
Charles is correct.. RELAY first.... it that isn't the problem, you have a backup relay.. =)

#7 ·
Make sure the arm joints are well lubricated too. ALL of them. Mine need to be re-lubed from time to time. I make it part of the fluid change routine, every 6,000 miles. That's not your problem, but still needs to be part of the maintenance cycle.

#9 ·
I can almost guarantee that it is a relay do a search for one of my post for the after market relay part numbers and where to buy. These OEM relays are a know to be a POS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.