Did you check your clicks today? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 4:20 am Thread Starter

Did you check your clicks today?

Though I am driving KLT since 2001, over 200.000 km already, I recently learned something new about the KLT, dealing with the rear suspension.

As many of you I wondered how to set up the rear suspension, using the handwheel, located under the front seat. Now I know and it helped me driving my KLT even better.

Check the manual and see the maximum weight of the KLT, its own weight and it is easy to calculate that the maximum load of the bike is 200 kg (did you think it was more as well? It is not.)

Now check the rear suspension and turn the handadjustable wheel from left to right and check that are 40 clicks in total. This means that the KLT rear suspension can be setup in steps of 200 / 40 = 5 kg steps!

BMW would not have done that just for fun. If you drive the KLT to its limit one can feel the difference when this rear suspension is not setup correctly.

Now, my weight is 90kg and I drive my KLT for business, taking my laptop with me, some paperwork and the heavy duty BMW apparel. Total weight for the bike is about 100 kg.

So, from totally left position (loose) I have to turn my rear suspension 100 / 5 = 20 clicks. Many of you may think that is the center position of the rear suspension, well it is not.

Now If I do not take my office gear I adjust the rear suspension one of two clicks. The bike runs really smooth on any road type.

I wonder why not all of you do that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	16682  

Hans,

ex-GL1500, ex-R80ST, 2002 K1200LT Autocom, SPIII, telephone, CB and a lot more. Brand new KLT 07 Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 10:18 am

Re: Did you check your clicks today?

You're assuming that the lowest pre-load setting is designed for a completely unladen bike and that therefore the 40 clicks accomodates load from zero through the maximum load. Do you know that to be so or are you simply assuming it?

If it is, it would seem bizarre, since the bike can't be ridden without a rider: why in the world would they have suspension pre-load settings that by definition would be useless no mater who was riding?

You also assuming that the suspension pre-load is completely linear. Again, do you know that to be the case?
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Bought my '05 in 2004 and read maual... Set adjuster sort of in the middle and haven't touched it since........ Ride is terrific!!.....Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:50 pm

can't tell the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Bought my '05 in 2004 and read maual... Set adjuster sort of in the middle and haven't touched it since........ Ride is terrific!!.....Pete
I'm probably a little lighter than most (about 160) and have moved it from stop to middle to stop and can't tell the difference. Occasionally the shocks will bottom out (hate that sound) but not often. 35,000 miles and still seems to ride as it did when new.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Mine doesn't click.

However I note that there are a few lines on the body of the adjuster, and from my reading of the manual I dialed it to the second line (from loosest) and usually leave it there. If I loosen it any more than that I bottom out on the speed bumps that are growing all over more and more of the parking lots I have to go through.

As it is, I don't bottom out anymore except coming into my driveways--sometimes.

When I take a passenger, I add another "line's worth" and one more with luggage aboard.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 10:45 am

I normally just set mine to the red dots that say STD in the middle. Seems to be quite a good ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in