BMW K1200LT-What a fine machine. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

BMW K1200LT-What a fine machine.

We had a beautiful day here in the Houston area today and the wife and I spent the day on our 08 LT. Wow what a pleasure it is to ride. I will be honest though I had some second thoughts about leaving HD after reading failure stories on this forum. I have a little over 1200 miles now and I have to say the LT beats HD hands down even with what ever failures come along. Man an I pleased with my new bike!
Charlie

Charlie Crittenden
2008 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: BMW K1200LT-What a fine machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccritt13
We had a beautiful day here in the Houston area today and the wife and I spent the day on our 08 LT. Wow what a pleasure it is to ride. I will be honest though I had some second thoughts about leaving HD after reading failure stories on this forum. I have a little over 1200 miles now and I have to say the LT beats HD hands down even with what ever failures come along. Man an I pleased with my new bike!
Charlie
You've got a minimum of 3 years of worry-free riding. Forget failures for the next 36 months - longer if you get an extended warranty.

Congratulations - and GOOD LUCK!!!!!

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 9:22 pm

I still have my '07 Deuce, and I love it, but did 500 miles yesterday on my 'new to me' LT. Had plenty of reservations also, especially with low speed handling and all the dragging and scraping I did on my first 100 mile ride. The folks here guided me through recharging my rear shock, I put a new front tire on, and all I can say is WOW!!!
Took it out today just to warm it up for tranny and FD oil change, and sort of ran into another fella on a crotch rocket. I pulled out behind him, dogged his butt through an S turn, then passed him. He kicked it up a notch and the testosterone began to flow. Went through a series of 4, 90 degree, 30 MPH curves, and he got his butt handed to him! Nothing this big and comfortable should be so nimble!!! Unbelievable. I just can't believe that no one here ever called me to tell me what I was missing out on

Last edited by fpmlt; Feb 17th, 2008 at 11:11 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 9:36 pm
KIC

[B]"...I just can't believe that no one here ever called my to tell me what I was missing out on "[/B]

We called...line was busy.

Rode ours today. 48 degrees when we left, 69 on the way home. Jimmy Buffett and the LT seem to be a match made in M/C heaven.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Hi Charlie,
Have the same thoughts about my 08 LT...hopefully our FD's will hoild up!! I have about 1300 on mine and absolutely love it. I kept my ol 85 GW, and still ride this occasionally but it's no comparison. I live northwest of DFW, give me a shout when your heading this way, and maybe we'll do a ride!!
Later,
Michael
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 1:07 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7mikae7
Hi Charlie,
Have the same thoughts about my 08 LT...hopefully our FD's will hoild up!! I have about 1300 on mine and absolutely love it. I kept my ol 85 GW, and still ride this occasionally but it's no comparison. I live northwest of DFW, give me a shout when your heading this way, and maybe we'll do a ride!!
Later,
Michael
Michael and Charlie y'all need to head for Austin this Saturday the 23rd. A bunch of us from all over the state are meetin for lunch.
Info here----->http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32430

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Thanks for the offer... sounds like fun but I can't this weekend...So many honey do's, so little time. Defnitely give me a raincheck!!
Michael
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccritt13
I had some second thoughts about leaving HD after reading failure stories on this forum. I have a little over 1200 miles now and I have to say the LT beats HD hands down even with what ever failures come along. Man an I pleased with my new bike!
Charlie

Don't give the potential of a FD failure a second thought. IF it does happen, the technical expertise and experience of many forum members will guide you through the repair process. You do not have to shell out $900 - $1000 for a drive unit from BMW. The actual cost of the parts to rebuild the drive is about $170....not a big deal. Ride and enjoy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in