Brake flushing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Brake flushing

I am working up to flushing the brakes on my 2003 lt, (integrated abs).
I have the procedure for this from this site, which appears to be excellent.
At the start of the procedure, under tools needed ---4. BMW bleed screw & dust boot (P/N 34 21 2 330 310)-needed either to be inserted into factory fill fitting at right front caliper to permit bleeding, or to replace the factory fitting entirely.---.
This item does not appear to be covered in the following procedure, can someone explain it to me please, i appreciate it will be obvious, but as this will be the first time i attempt this job, i want to get the information sorted first, ie so that i dont make a pigs ear of it.
Many thanks
Stevie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 11:59 am
BDC

Re: Brake flushing

Stevie

If it's like my 2000LT the factory fillpoint has a grubscrew which you must remove and replace with a bleed nipple. As you screw the nipple into the fillpoint it progressively opens a valve and allows fluid to flow so that you can bleed your brakes.

In my case I couldn't remove the grubscrew as the head had rounded off so I removed the fillpoint entirely and replaced it with a conventional bleed nipple which I bought from a local car spares shop.

The fillpoint unscrews from the caliper with an open ended spanner against the two flats.

I have discarded the fillpoint and can now bleed my brakes in the conventional way.

BTW I seem to remember that the fillpoint is locktited in place so you may need some heat to remove it from the caliper.

Regards

Chris
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Brake flushing

Stevie,

Look at both your front calipers. If they both have bleed screws you are OK and can skip that part. If one looks different and has a round cylinder in place of the bleed nipple you will need a bleed screw to insert into that "fill adapter". Some have it and some don't. It can be removed and replaced with a bleed screw or you can remove the plug in the end and just screw in the bleed screw. The fill adapter has a check valve in it that must be depressed with the bleed screw.

If you are also flushing the control circuits there are two fittings that are very hard to get to on the sides of the unit. These are the cross feed ports and have very little fluid so it is OK to skip those. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. It is really a very easy procedure once you have done it but the first time cam be intimidating.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:29 pm
fas

Talking Re: Brake flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie1
I am working up to flushing the brakes on my 2003 lt, (integrated abs).
I have the procedure for this from this site, which appears to be excellent.
At the start of the procedure, under tools needed ---4. BMW bleed screw & dust boot (P/N 34 21 2 330 310)-needed either to be inserted into factory fill fitting at right front caliper to permit bleeding, or to replace the factory fitting entirely.---.
This item does not appear to be covered in the following procedure, can someone explain it to me please, i appreciate it will be obvious, but as this will be the first time i attempt this job, i want to get the information sorted first, ie so that i dont make a pigs ear of it.
Many thanks
Stevie
Keep that fluid away from your paint.

Check pad thickness and inspect for both radial and axial taper.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in