New Old Guy needs help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 1:52 am Thread Starter

New Old Guy needs help

After 35 years in the Harley saddle, I find it's time to move on to a BMW. There's a 1995 K1100LT advertised for $4K with 35K miles and is described as being well maintained. Here's the deal, I'd like to save a lot of money and go with the '95 assuming all is as described. I want to take day trips with my wife and want to "get the feel" for what a BMW can do. I know that buying new is probably the best way to go but for $4K I can do the same things maybe not as fast or reliable but fast and reliable enough for me. Can anyone enlighten me about the '95's? Do they have "issues"? Should I buy new?
I've owned a K1200RS and a 1100RT. Too small and too fast for an oldster
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 3:30 am

Re: New Old Guy needs help

If you can take it for a test ride, ride it for a while and see if it is for you first.
I would look over it really close for leaks etc. Post a pic or 2 of it if you can
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:06 am

Rich.. Probably someone on this forum nearby... who might be willing to go "have a look" at it with you...

Then, make a deal with the guy that you "do the deal", pay him, then "test ride" the bike, say, less than 100 miles....do the deal in the morning, and bring it back by Lunchtime.

Agree to pay him $100 for his "trust and trouble"... should you change your mind...

If you test ride "new" first, you'll be soooo tempted... trust me on that one..

There are some possible gotcha's on the LT that might scare ya... but at the price, you should be able to fix most anything.

I also came from a life of HD...through the AMF fiasco...etc... The "issuses" you MIGHT see on the LT are insignificant in comparison as long as you can afford to fix it.

So, here's wishing you all the best...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:09 am

The K11LT and the K12LT are two different animals, starting with about 150 more pounds on the latter.

I'd check with the folks at K11og.org who have a lot of experience to share.

My experience with a '96 found front fork seals to be the only aggravation.
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:09 am

P.S...
I still have my leathers.. hung up in my closet... I'll pass them along to my first grandson when he's big enough to carry them.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:55 pm

I put over 150,000 miles on an 1100LT. My suggestion is, ride it. If you like the way it feels & handles, buy it.

GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERALIK
After 35 years in the Harley saddle, I find it's time to move on to a BMW. There's a 1995 K1100LT advertised for $4K with 35K miles and is described as being well maintained. Here's the deal, I'd like to save a lot of money and go with the '95 assuming all is as described. I want to take day trips with my wife and want to "get the feel" for what a BMW can do. I know that buying new is probably the best way to go but for $4K I can do the same things maybe not as fast or reliable but fast and reliable enough for me. Can anyone enlighten me about the '95's? Do they have "issues"? Should I buy new?
I've owned a K1200RS and a 1100RT. Too small and too fast for an oldster
Rich

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

post #7 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm

.. Traded 97 K11LT FOR K12LT

The K11LT is excellent bike but be aware, it's still sport touring bike, which means, the same feeling and attitude as the R-Class.

Yair
Red Canyon K12LT 2000 50K Miles, just luv-it
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 2:26 pm

Deralik

I had a k1100lt/se 98, i put approx 20000 miles on it over 2 1/2 years, it was an excellent bike, no real issues, never missed a beat, handled nicely, fairly comfortable on long distances.
Got a k1200lt/se 03, in november 03, no comparison, smoother, more comfortable, better mpg, tyres last longer, bit of a sod at very low speeds, if you can test ride them both before you make a decision.
Regards
Stevie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in