Intro - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Intro

Just saying "howdy". We bought a 2k LT last week. Brought it home (less than 10 miles) and then had to go out of town for work so I haven't even had a chance to really ride it yet!

Hopefully that will change in the near future but I've got a lot of maintenance to catch up on as the PO didn't really do very much of it other than oil changes.

Anyway, we got it for long trips as my wife didn't like the back seat on our Shadow ACE Tourer after 2 hours. Hopefully her initial impressions of the LT rear seat comfort will hold up after 12 hours in the saddle.

Color: it's the darker grey, definitely not silver (storm grey?)
Trim level: we were told it's a Custom, but the VIN punched up a LT-S on the state's database. It has grip heaters, heated front seat, CD/cassette but no luggage rack. And even though I've gone thru the old posts, I'm not sure what "extra" chrome trim the LT-C has.

Add-ons: So far I've found an Autocom buried in the innards, the HID headlight conversion kit and J-pegs.

That's a long intro, so I'll end. Happy trails and maybe we'll see you on the road.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Re: Intro

Welcome aboard.. (the inmates are well entrenched)...shhh., I hear them coming.. oops, it was me.. hehe..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:15 pm

welcome to the forum

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:23 pm

See now...you've done gone and fixed yourself up fine, that's for sure. She'll LOVE the back seat on the LT...no doubt about it. So much, that you'll never be able to find another bike that'll keep her happy. Welcome and know that we're here to help. Sounds like the previous owner had enough sense to make some good upgrades. Hopefully there are other upgrades waiting to be found..... Happy trails!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Talking Re: Intro

Welcome...I'm rather new myself but this sight is awesome! Learning more and more and it really helps a person's sanity when you cant get out and actually do what you love...and yes, their calling for more freezing rain and snow here tomorrow.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #6 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 6:37 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to LT Land.

You are gonna love the LT and this Forum.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 6:51 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Dave welcome to the site. Enjoy your new bike, your weather is sure better then ours for riding.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 5:49 pm

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. I have a 2000 and love it.

If the bike is a 2000 you have either an Icon or a Custom. If the tipover wings and saddlebag trim is "chrome" you have a Custom. Sounds like you have an Icon like mine. Icons came with the CD player but no chrome and no heated seats.

There was a color called "Basalt" if I recall correctly. That might be what you have.

Have fun. Plenty of info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
Just saying "howdy". We bought a 2k LT last week. Brought it home (less than 10 miles) and then had to go out of town for work so I haven't even had a chance to really ride it yet!

Hopefully that will change in the near future but I've got a lot of maintenance to catch up on as the PO didn't really do very much of it other than oil changes.

Anyway, we got it for long trips as my wife didn't like the back seat on our Shadow ACE Tourer after 2 hours. Hopefully her initial impressions of the LT rear seat comfort will hold up after 12 hours in the saddle.

Trim level: we were told it's a Custom, but the VIN punched up a LT-S on the state's database. It has grip heaters, heated front seat, CD/cassette but no luggage rack. And even though I've gone thru the old posts, I'm not sure what "extra" chrome trim the LT-C has.

Add-ons: So far I've found an Autocom buried in the innards, the HID headlight conversion kit and J-pegs.

That's a long intro, so I'll end. Happy trails and maybe we'll see you on the road.
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Welcome, I have a 99 with 51K and love it. Just did lunch in New Oleans last weekend. I did Alaska in June for 12060 miles, trouble free. I did get new cables and mirrors after those Alaska gravel roads. Your wife love the LT and the seat. Enjoy.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 7:16 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33

Dave welcome! From an ex-seabrookite it’s been years since we left the area (we were actually in El Lago) had a scooter shop on Kirby Dr.

But to the important info. YOUR WIFE will love the LT. In January of ’02 a friend keep insisting I barrow his LT. Mind your I had a R850R with a Hanningan Fairing, Day long seats, etc. But to keep him quite I picked up his bike one Sunday afternoon and Monday evening we rode over to Munster, TX for a bit to eat. About a 100 mile round trip. Well about half way home my wife leaned forward and said “I think we need one of these.” Well what’s a guy to do! Friday morning that week I pickup a ’99 at Plano BMW with 12K on her. Put around 30K on her that year and my lovely wife when from about 350/400 miles a day to over 750 one day that summer. So now when someone asked about the bike I tell them ‘OH this is my wife’s and just get to chauffer it for her.” 0ver a 100K later we are still enjoying this wonderful machine.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 7:06 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Dave we are having a lil get together Feb 23 here in Austin. there are a few riders coming from the Houston area. we would love to meet you if you can make it.

Click here for info-----> http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32430

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in