LT without problems? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

LT without problems?

I read about the catastrophic and expensive failures of the LT on this forum. This leaves me wondering if any of you have owned an LT for many years and miles without major failures. Please tell me yes...

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:41 pm
BMW Guru

Re: LT without problems?

I'm on my second LT. No major problems with either one.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 64 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:49 pm
Super Moderator

Yes, many people have. Some people have had problems with their LTs, too. Most fix them and just keep riding.

Usually when I see a thread like this I kinda blast the guy who starts it because it's a level of whining I just don't tolerate well. You caught me on a good day, so I'm just going to share a few thoughts.

Motorcycles are machines.

Machines break.

Motorcycling is a passion.

Passion outweighs a lot of things, as we all will spend more money, time energy, etc. on things we are passionate about than rational thought would generally allow.

If you're passion for motorcycling cannot get you past the fact that motorcycles will have problems, get out of the sport.

Otherwise, ride your bike, enjoy the experience, love the time you spend doing it, stop, take in the sights, then repeat.

Fretting over what might happen is a waste of life, which is already too short.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:08 am

Smile Re: LT without problems?

I have a 1999 LTi that is # 107 US model, a press bike used in the intro of the LT. It has 135550 miles with the single failure of a leaking steering dampner that I replaced myself (2 bolts). Twice it failed to start when the line from the fuel pump came off. I removed the tank and replaced the filter and clamps. I do all my own maintenance, use BMW oil with moly disulfide added with each oil change to the rear drive. Brake pads have lasted 85K front and rear. tires metzler 880 last 18k to 25K . After the LT came out of the warrenty period I changed the motor oil to mobile one and changed all fluids at 10K. It gives 50 mpg in all warm weather operations and has given 60+ on several tanks at altitude. I carry a set of shift linkage, never used it. I have two complete rear drives in my garage in shipping boxes with the special tools that can be overnighted anywhere, never needed them. Its on battery #2 and is on a tender. I can leave for the west coast tomorrow without worry.
Everything works. Its the best motorcycle Ive owned 56 years of riding. I just purchased a 2007 K1200GT and will sell the LT later this spring. I have a hip replacement and can no longer pickup the LT if it falls over, I will really miss it.
I hope this helps you . Norm
post #5 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Yes, many people have. Some people have had problems with their LTs, too. Most fix them and just keep riding.

Usually when I see a thread like this I kinda blast the guy who starts it because it's a level of whining I just don't tolerate well. You caught me on a good day, so I'm just going to share a few thoughts.

Machines break.

Passion outweighs a lot of things, as we all will spend more money, time energy, etc. on things we are passionate about than rational thought would generally allow.

If you're passion for motorcycling cannot get you past the fact that motorcycles will have problems, get out of the sport.

Otherwise, ride your bike, enjoy the experience, love the time you spend doing it, stop, take in the sights, then repeat.

This is a good day?

I'm like David though. It's a machine just fix it and ride. I've had two clutch replacements at approx $1500 a repair and a FD replacement at about $1000. It's the price of ownership. Would I ride something else. Nope!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Feb 15th, 2008 at 7:12 am.
post #6 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:33 am

2 answers with no problems and two saying it is a machine, it breaks, live with it.

If you had a car that had final drive failures, seals leaking clutches failing at less than 40K miles, etc.. would you still be happy?

Just asking a question?

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #7 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:44 am

I've only had my 05 2 1/2 years and just about zero problems. The Bridgestones that came on the bike sucked and the dealer replaced the rear wheel because we didn't know if the scratch that was there was a crack or not. I do my own oil changes the dealer does everything else. The service cost has been very reasonable, never have gotten ripped off and when it's there I get a new BMW for a loner. Although I might start looking for a second lighter bike I have no plans of selling this one. The love affair that started on day one is just as strong today!
post #8 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
2 answers with no problems and two saying it is a machine, it breaks, live with it.

If you had a car that had final drive failures, seals leaking clutches failing at less than 40K miles, etc.. would you still be happy?

Just asking a question?

Roy
I have had a '99,trouble-free for 46k miles.
An '03 with a new clutch at 5k,rear at 36k,rear at 47k.
I don't know of a car out there that will bring a smile to my heart as well as the LT does.

dan
post #9 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:13 am

Quote:

Just asking a question?

Roy
BTDT and yes after it was fixed I was happy!!!! It's still just a machine.

OBTW, I had 124,000 miles on the LT that had all those repairs. Just to put things in the correct perspective.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:00 am

Buy it... ride it... enjoy it...

Motorcycling is a "relationship"... you either love it or you don't. "If I have to explain, you'll never understand."... that sorta thing.

Occasionally folks have a "high maintenance" relationship... from an "outside perspective", while they may be happy in that relationship, it's just diamonds, diamonds, diamonds.

From all the bikes I've owned, the LT is more expensive... not exactly what I expected. However, the "wow" factor explains it all...

So, when it needs fixin' I fix it or have it fixed.

It is interesting how I personally find that I want to have "less" to worry about in my life, that I expect my "choices" in life to give me more "stability"... but that isn't realistic to expect from people or things they build.... I do HOPE..and follow proper maintenance techniques... that's all we can do.

'nuff said...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:56 am
JDW

Yeah, It's true all machines breakdown. BUT some more than others. Example would be Toyota and Honda's reliability as compared to other cars. So while we have passion for our sport there are expectations from our machines. I was drawn to BMW because of their reputation for reliability. And yes while I enjoy riding the LT I have been very disappointed by BMWs so called legendary reliability.
post #12 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:06 am

I've had 3 lt's. The only real problems have been dealer induced. I have had a couple of shocks fail over the years but nothing like the old Nivomats. Ortherwise, all 3 have been good bikes. Current ride is on 05 that I had Dave Clark in St.Louis go over. Can't say that I've lost any sleep worrying about something happening.
post #13 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW
Yeah, It's true all machines breakdown. BUT some more than others. Example would be Toyota and Honda's reliability as compared to other cars. So while we have passion for our sport there are expectations from our machines. I was drawn to BMW because of their reputation for reliability. And yes while I enjoy riding the LT I have been very disappointed by BMWs so called legendary reliability.
++++1 very well said.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #14 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmpilot
I read about the catastrophic and expensive failures of the LT on this forum. This leaves me wondering if any of you have owned an LT for many years and miles without major failures. Please tell me yes...
2000 K1200LT with 60,000+ miles. No catastrophic failures. Just preventive maintainence.
post #15 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:02 pm

2000 K1200LT.....75,000 miles.

One roadside failure, 1 block from my house...shift linkage.
6 dollar part, I installed it no problem.
No other failures...It runs like a top!! I love this bike!!
I have been riding since 1970, and this is the best bike I
have ever owned. I have owned HD, Gold Wings, Triumph, Norton, and BMW.
As far as cost of maintenance, MCN did a comparo a while back, on maintenance costs on an Ultra, Gold Wing, and LT over a 75000 mile period. HD was the most expensive to maintain, the GW next and LT most cost effective. The GW and LT were close, but LT was the cheapest, if memory serves me right..
post #16 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:17 pm

99 with 51K Alaska and back no problems.

Dodge Drango with 70K new transmission.

$hit happens.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #17 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 12:41 pm

I have an 02 LT and other than service items no problems just a lot of good times. If you spend your time on web sites for any make you will hear of all the problems and the fixes. It is the old story one unhappy person ever one hears about it. 200 happy people not a sound. Yes BMWs' break and are not perfection and when mine breaks it will get fixed just like every other vehicle I have owned. I do think BMW has made a great bike!
post #18 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Machines break.

Wow! What a response... I just love forums. Thank you for passionate feelings, and certainly thank you for not "blasting" me. It is nice to know that I have, maybe, one chance in five of making 100,000 miles without spending thousands of bucks on poorly engineered BMW motorcycle parts.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and my wallet close by.

2006 LT
Times dropped(so far): 2
2006 FZ-1
Speeding tickets(so far): 0

IBA

"Four things greater than all things are,-
Women and Horses and Power and War." Rudyard Kipling
post #19 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 1:33 pm

[QUOTE=cfmpilot]I read about the catastrophic and expensive failures of the LT on this forum. This leaves me wondering if any of you have owned an LT for many years and miles without major failures. Please tell me yes...[/QUOTE

Have had my 99' for the last 40,000 miles carefree with no problems. Original owner put on 18,000 with no issues at all.
post #20 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Garage

2002 LT
23,000 miles (more picky about riding weather than I was, and can't always ride to work)

(1) dying battery
(1) welded starter relay, due to battery...
(1) set of tires, Metezler
(0) other issues

(1) very happy owner!!!!
post #21 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 4:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've had an 01 and an 05 with approximately 60K between them. So far no major problems. I'm a little older and am a fairly conservative rider. I must admit I have cranked the the throttle a time or two or three or too may times to remember. The biggest issue I have is - work gets in the way of riding!

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #22 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Thumbs up Re: LT without problems?

2002, 93000 miles. A ABS sensor the 1st year, and wet radio. Thats it.
Enjoy.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #23 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Talking Re: LT without problems?

19000Kilometers and no problems.
post #24 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:31 pm

05' 24k miles on it, only mechanical problem has been a trans out put seal under warranty. Best road bike I have ever owned in 43 yrs of riding.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #25 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Sorry, this ain't cuttin' it anymore

Quote:

Machines break.

<snip>
David, (& others),
Generally, I tend to agree with everything you said. However, do you think that all of the people who got tired of BMW's BS and switched to 'Wings or FJRs are any less passionate? Could it be that the opposite is true; that they are more passionate, and would rather be riding than repairing their bikes, (or waiting for them to be repaired)?

Why is it that BMW cannot make a motorcycle as reliable as the other brands?

Why is it that BMW ignores serious problems?

I have been a staunch supporter of BMW through all of the bull surrounding the FD failure issue for years, but I'm beginning to doubt my own sanity.

I'm sorry, but just saying "Machines break" and "If you're passion for motorcycling cannot get you past the fact that motorcycles will have problems, get out of the sport" just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Maybe, instead of just continuing to buy BMWs, enforcing thier crappy attitude, we should all show up at their, (BMWs execs), pool party in Daytona next month and cram a few failed final drives up their asses!

GB

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

post #26 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:15 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Sorry, this ain't cuttin' it anymore

Man don't hold back on us, tell us how you really feel

Although I wish every failed FD could be gathered and dumped off a truck in front of one of these events

Have every bike rag you can find on hand to document it and then see what the reaction is

And of course every ruined clutch, slave cylinder, and broken trunk latch too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarnes
David, (& others),
Generally, I tend to agree with everything you said. However, do you think that all of the people who got tired of BMW's BS and switched to 'Wings or FJRs are any less passionate? Could it be that the opposite is true; that they are more passionate, and would rather be riding than repairing their bikes, (or waiting for them to be repaired)?

Why is it that BMW cannot make a motorcycle as reliable as the other brands?

Why is it that BMW ignores serious problems?

I have been a staunch supporter of BMW through all of the bull surrounding the FD failure issue for years, but I'm beginning to doubt my own sanity.

I'm sorry, but just saying "Machines break" and "If you're passion for motorcycling cannot get you past the fact that motorcycles will have problems, get out of the sport" just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Maybe, instead of just continuing to buy BMWs, enforcing thier crappy attitude, we should all show up at their, (BMWs execs), pool party in Daytona next month and cram a few failed final drives up their asses!

GB

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #27 of 64 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:37 pm

I don't chime in as much as most on this forum do to time constraints and priorities. It gets in the way of my riding time. Purchased my first BMW, an 02 LT with 3200 miles on the clock. It now has 20000 and some change. Not even a hiccup since clipping the brown wire. Best scooter I have ever owned, one up or 2up. Wife loves the Colorado Trips now! I have been riding since 8 years of age and am on the threshold of 52 years young. Raced with my kids for 10 of those riding years competitively. You know ( the older I get the faster I was sort of thing).
Anyway, back to the subject, I love this scooter. It may break, If it does, I'll fix it. Only other scooters I would consider at this time would be the new K1200GT or the new RT. My neighbor has my next GT in his garage and is farkling it just the way I like it. All he needs to do is screw up and decide to sell it and its mine. Well maybe! My wife made me reduce the inventory from 4 scooters to 2 just this last fall. Will I sell the LT? Nope! I'll sell the Harley if I have to, but not the LT.
Every time I take the LT for a spin I always tell my wife to never let me sell it.
I looked at several options and rode many miles before the LT. None does it better for me 2up and I would like to ride the GT long distance to make up my mind about 1up long rides. Ideal would be 3 scooters.
Yeah, I still love my old carbureted Fatboy. Still a beautiful bike! My Harley friends just don't get it.They refuse to give the LT a chance. It must be a cult thing that I refuse to be sucked into.
These guys on this board will steer you right. A lot of info. There are a lot of us who have never had a problem, that spectate, and don't chime in.
Jump in,get a good deal,and enjoy the scooter. Mine has been a good one!
Silver is the best color.

Doc

Man I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Last edited by hognot; Feb 15th, 2008 at 7:43 pm.
post #28 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 1:05 am
Super Moderator

Quote:

Just asking a question?

Roy
If I had the same passion about driving the car as I do about motorcycling, absolutely. Cars fill a more utilitarian need for me, probably as they do for most folks. If they cease to provide the utility I bought them for, through failures or other reasons, I wouldn't keep it. I'm sure the boys on the Porsche and Ferrari forums bitch and whine about their cars breaking (because I know they do break, they're machines, and highly strung ones at that), but they keep fixing and driving them.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #29 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 9:03 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I agree on the differences of a car/utility and a bike/luxury.

However when you start out on a trip on a bike it then becomes utility with the same expectations as your car.

This is where my whole buyer remorse came in when I bought this bike.

To the point I almost sold it, did not because of the financial hit I would have taken, and pissed a very nice person off in the process.

Now I got a 3 year warranty and know I am supposed to not sweat it and fix it if it breaks.

Well what happens when it breaks with no dealer even close? I will be faced with the expense of getting it somewhere. And then all the hassles after that. All on a bike that was well over 21K

To have any hope of piece of mind I had to buy a used FD for 400 bucks, even though I have a warranty, how can I travel and not have a backup part of the most flawed issue the LT has? To me it is like a tire plugger or an air pump, just need to have it. It is boxed with the tq wrench, 30 MM and printed instructions to change to be overnighted where I might be.

Now I accept this to a point for a few reasons.

I just love the bike. All aspects, power, handling, weather protection, and most of all looks.

Also for the fact that I have an 07 with that warranty.

And I have not heard of any 06-07-08 LT's failing.

But that is my quandary. Guys get them replaced and repaired and they go out very quickly. Now the repair is a big issue from what I read as to the shimming process and free play setting.

But what about the new replaced that fail back to back? Is that because they are using what are older, in the pipe line parts? Are they different then the current production units? It would seem logical that if you replace a FD with what is being manufactured and put on 06-08 bikes, wouldn't these be failing too?

I only have 6000 on mine but I know others on new LT's got more then that so shouldn't it have shown up by now?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #30 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:20 am

I love my 2003 LT and have enjoyed every one of the 75000 miles I have put on it. It's time to replace the shocks and I had a radio replaced under warranty long ago. HOWEVER..... I would be foolish to not consider the final drive might fail me on the way to Daytona this year and have had to add putting the bike on the center stand and shaking the rear wheel at every fuel stop to my routine. Some days I'm OK with that and some days I wonder why I put up with it.

I have over a half a million miles on (mostly shaft drive) motorcycles and have had a u-joint go out on a Suzuki Cavalcade one time. 55000 miles I think. Some days I wonder if I am foolish riding a $20,0000 dollar motorcycle that I am not certain will reach my destination and is likely to have limited dealer support.

Mike Riley
'03 Graphite Met
AMA, IBA
post #31 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:28 am

02 for 5 years. One FDF, but well done by BMW; we were impressed. After the 02 was totalled, no doubt what was to replace it. Thot the 02 was the best bike I'd ever owned. Hmmm. Maybe the 07 is. <BG> This big guy can DANCE!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #32 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:51 pm

I have on '05 with just under 34,000 miles on it. I bought in August '06 with 18,000. The bike was dealer maintained and has been since. For me the bike is used everyday as a means of transport, not necessarily enjoyment, though it is. The issues I've had so far are:

1) Battery replacement

2) Front/Rear tire replacement

3) Tank latch hinge pin coming out

4) Tank latch lock sticking when locked electronically

5) Vanity lid hinge in trunk breaking

6) Audio system not working until reinitialized by disconnecting battery

7) Rear brake rotor loose, rattling, and squealing

8) Hydraulic center stand failing

Overall, mostly just wear and tear items except for #7 and 8. Right now it looks like the hydraulic center stand will cost over $1000 to repair.

A good bike, but with some issues.
post #33 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 3:09 pm

+ 1 for Dave Taylor

2001 R1100RT Opal Blue
2007 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
BMWMOA # 93149
Every happy ending needs to have a start
post #34 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 5:07 pm

02 ----- Nada

I bought the bike with 1,000 miles in 02 and it now has about 35,000 miles. No problems and it seems to get better every day. Best bike I've ever owned and 99% of my riding is one up.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #35 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Hi All
I am new to this forum and new 1200LT owner. The problem with forums like this is that owners that have had problems are ready to tell everybody because it helps get it out their system and or they need advice.
On the other hand owners that have had no problems rarely share with others that they have had no problems. So new owners get over panicky about what could happen.
Keep in mind that the biggest number of 1200 LT owners are out riding and have had no big issues and only a small percentage have had major issues. Not taking away from the owners that have had issues as Im sure its very frustrating.
You know a small percentage of people have heart attacks. Yet I do now walk around wondering if I will have one or keep a spare in the freezer just in case.
I and most probably bought an LT knowing that there is a small percentage of bikes with problems. Just like when you buy a car or a Honda Goldwing or anything else that is made by man. There is no 100 percent guarantee that any mechanical item we buy is going to be trouble free. S--T happens.
Its the price we pay for the enjoyment of riding the best bike in our opinion.
With that comes a gamble. Do not bet unless you are willing to loose.
If my bike craps out I will fix it or have it fixed and jump back on it.
Also if you buy a BMW but do not have a dealer close buy-Didnt you know that before buying it?Thats just a risk you decided on taking, so why gripe now? Just do what you have to and get back on it and ride!!!
Just my 2 cents worth and probably worth every cent.
Note: Im not talking about this thread but about forums in general.

Last edited by hifiman; Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:36 pm.
post #36 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Greetings all.

My '99 LT here in Australia has been impeccably behaved since I purchased her. She has covered an easy 55000 kilometres without a problem. She gets the best service available and I ride her like I didn't steal her.

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #37 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 9:42 pm
Just ridin'

• 1999 LT - 60,000 miles - 0 problems of any kind
  • 2002 LT - 30,000 miles - 0 problems of any kind
  • 2005 LT - 10,000 miles - 0 problems of any kind. Sold to a fellow list member in 2006 and I believe he still hasn't had any problem.

In fact - between my wife and I, 13 new or used BMW motorcycles over the last ten years, covering more than 130,000 miles with one problem, ever. The EWS ring antenna on my 2007 GS failed in the middle of the Yukon Territory last summer. It was logistically difficult, but BMW took care of everything. While I was inconvenienced by the failure, there were things that happened as a result of that failure that ended up making my adventure more fulfilling. The best parts of any adventure usually happen as a result of things you don't plan.

Conversely my 1995 GoldWing left me stranded twice while under warranty. The reverse interlock failed leaving the starter inoperative, then later that same summer, the alternator failed on a lonesome stretch of road in Utah - at night. This in spite of the fact that the GL1500 has a reputation of being 'bulletproof'. This is not meant as a dig, as I do know that the GoldWings are generally reliable. I said it more to illustrate that it doesn't matter what you read or hear about any vehicle, your personal experience is all that counts.

I have absolutely no concerns about heading out on any adventure on any BMW I currently own or have owned.

Buy what you like and by all means....

Just ride it!

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #38 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 9:47 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
Also if you buy a BMW but do not have a dealer close buy-Didnt you know that before buying it?Thats just a risk you decided on taking, so why gripe now?
Got three dealers within 60 miles of home. Home is not what I am worried about. It is on a trip I worry, I just want to get home, warranty or not.

Even if I broke down in front of a dealer, I like the option of having the most vulnerable part of the LT an Over Night away.

Not a gripe really, just stating what has allowed me to get past the phobia of this well documented flaw of LT's, and allows me to truly enjoy it for the machine is.

Hell a 400 dollar 0 mile drive off an 08 bike from Flea Bay is really nothing in the scheme of things in how this bike has parted my money from me.

Between the 4 piece Corbin, the J-Pegs, the Garmin 2820, the Centec Fuse panel, the Jiffy Tite Alum QD, the C-Bailey #2 -6 Clear and Ice Blue, the upgraded shifter linkage from a person on this site, the Slave Cylinder weep hole kit from another member, EBC rear rotor and pads, Grip Puppies, Big Daddy Tie downs, Floor Jack, Suburban Peg Lowering kit, upgraded rear speakers, and the Three Piece Hyper Pro Shock/Steering upgrade, it is nothing more then a ripple in a very large pond of money.

That does not bother me in the least as I choose to spend that money.

Getting home off the side of the road is my #1 concern. I hope I never have to use that package. All I need to do is drill a weep hole to help save the clutch, and ride a bunch of miles to get some faith in the bike.

And if it ever becomes technologically and monetarily feasible that I can keep a spare heart in the old freezer, you can bet I will.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #39 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Mine is a 2005 K12LT, 58,000 no problem of any kind including no warranty issues. I am sure mine is like the vast majority of BMW K1200LT's. My wife and I ride two up, lots of luggage. Bike has been to east coast and west to Montana.

Mike McIntosh
2005 K1200LT, 2008 K1200S
1998 K1200RS-sold May 2006
BMWMOA,BMWRA
post #40 of 64 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:31 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW
And yes while I enjoy riding the LT I have been very disappointed by BMWs so called legendary reliability.
I am certainly not trying to be argumentative, but I do not recall ever seeing BMW promoting their products as having 'legendary reliability'. I think many BMW owners put forth that myth as part of their brand snobbery. The reputation that has always appealed to me about BMWs is longevity. Almost all of them will last a long time, probably longer than many of their counterparts. I also like many of the design and engineering features of BMW motorcycles. Some of their engineering choices are questionable, but most of it is very good.

Longevity is a somewhat nebulous thing, if it requires too many repairs along the way. I am reminded of a story my father used to tell about a gentleman who wrote a letter to Sears, telling them they made a wonderful axe. He said it had given him 25 years of excellent service, needing only three heads and two handles.

That said, I remain amazed at how inept BMW has been at addressing the rear drive failures. They could have addressed the failures in any number of ways, at the very least offering some peace of mind through a warranty extension. If what I have been told is true, a production change has drastically mitigated the numbers of failures since the 2002 model year. If that is true, they should certainly create a service action to correct those earlier models. I am also surprised that the NHTSA has not addressed the fact that many of these failures will dump gear oil on a rear tire. If that were to happen going into a 70mph sweeper, it could get really ugly. Regardless of when it happens, oil dumped on a motorcycle tire, while in motion, constitutes a real hazard - something the NHTSA should be on top of immediately.

Unconfirmed rumors hold that the real cause of the rear drive failures is due to third party vendors supplying improperly specified parts. Some of these rumors point to Chinese outsourcing of entire rear drive assemblies. If any of that is true it is all the more reason BMW should suck it up and take care of the problem.

There were also rumors last year that BMW (Motorrad USA) had a plan to address buyers' concerns about rear drives. So far those rumors have failed to materialize. With the shakeup at the top of BMW Motorrad USA recently, they may need to get the new management in place before they launch any new programs. Who knows whether it will be more of the silence we have gotten thus far or if they will finally do something to address this key area impacting consumer confidence.

I have had great luck with my BMWs and I do still feel that they are very reliable, but not of 'legendary' status. Take the rear drive failures out of the equation and they look a lot better.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #41 of 64 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 7:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I am certainly not trying to be argumentative, but I do not recall ever seeing BMW promoting their products as having 'legendary reliability'. I think many BMW owners put forth that myth as part of their brand snobbery. The reputation that has always appealed to me about BMWs is longevity. Almost all of them will last a long time, probably longer than many of their counterparts. I also like many of the design and engineering features of BMW motorcycles. Some of their engineering choices are questionable, but most of it is very good.

Longevity is a somewhat nebulous thing, if it requires too many repairs along the way. I am reminded of a story my father used to tell about a gentleman who wrote a letter to Sears, telling them they made a wonderful axe. He said it had given him 25 years of excellent service, needing only three heads and two handles.

That said, I remain amazed at how inept BMW has been at addressing the rear drive failures. They could have addressed the failures in any number of ways, at the very least offering some peace of mind through a warranty extension. If what I have been told is true, a production change has drastically mitigated the numbers of failures since the 2002 model year. If that is true, they should certainly create a service action to correct those earlier models. I am also surprised that the NHTSA has not addressed the fact that many of these failures will dump gear oil on a rear tire. If that were to happen going into a 70mph sweeper, it could get really ugly. Regardless of when it happens, oil dumped on a motorcycle tire, while in motion, constitutes a real hazard - something the NHTSA should be on top of immediately.

Unconfirmed rumors hold that the real cause of the rear drive failures is due to third party vendors supplying improperly specified parts. Some of these rumors point to Chinese outsourcing of entire rear drive assemblies. If any of that is true it is all the more reason BMW should suck it up and take care of the problem.

There were also rumors last year that BMW (Motorrad USA) had a plan to address buyers' concerns about rear drives. So far those rumors have failed to materialize. With the shakeup at the top of BMW Motorrad USA recently, they may need to get the new management in place before they launch any new programs. Who knows whether it will be more of the silence we have gotten thus far or if they will finally do something to address this key area impacting consumer confidence.

I have had great luck with my BMWs and I do still feel that they are very reliable, but not of 'legendary' status. Take the rear drive failures out of the equation and they look a lot better.

I think you are looking for arguments. I have a dodge caravan that had 5, yes 5 trans go on us in 1 year. They finally solved the problem after good dealer work with Chrysler. Guess what we still have it with 150000 because it does what I need it to do. The same with my bike, it is so perfect for me and my SO it would have to explode for me not to keep riding her.
I remember in the 70's how BMW were the best in all magazines. I personnaly saw at least 2 or three when I was a baby biker with Bmws over 100k miles.
But whoever said they had legendary status, nothing mechanical should ever have legendary staus, all things break.
RIDE HER.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #42 of 64 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Have 36K mi on my 05. No problems.

FYI My 03 CLC side stand was strong enough to hold me and My SO at rest. My neighbors 03 CLC is just as strong and they both have 150 pounds total on us. The 04 on the other hand could not even hold itself up. wrong mix, cured at wrong temp, who knows. Purchased extended warranty for my peace of mind that covers unlimited miles and no exceptions or deductions to 2013.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #43 of 64 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
This is a good day?

I'm like David though. It's a machine just fix it and ride. I've had two clutch replacements at approx $1500 a repair and a FD replacement at about $1000. It's the price of ownership. Would I ride something else. Nope!

you have more money than the rest of us!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #44 of 64 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:12 pm

cfmpilot,,,,, Don't worry about the reliability of BMW..... They are good high quality bikes...... Every bit as good as any other brand and allot better than some.....

And do not listen to the ol tails about how old BMW's could go forever....
They require allot of maintenence...They are just simple to work on and if you work on one for 25 years you should be able to keep it running......
Remember,, there are allot more old Harley's running than there are old BMW's,, that doesn't make them better than new, just more people know how to fix them...

cfmpilot if the older ones were truly better they would still be making them

Life is WAY to short to worry about petty stuff,,, just go ride!!!!..........

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #45 of 64 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmpilot

wish I could say yes, I can't, in fact i can't say yes to my lt or our RT, I can say in the `1st 54k miles it had its share of major issues, abs, rear oil seal, final drive, and a few minor problems, 100k later its been a good bike
odo has 154k on it now its a 2002

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #46 of 64 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Smile Re: LT without problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty116
I have a 1999 LTi that is # 107 US model, a press bike used in the intro of the LT. It has 135550 miles with the single failure of a leaking steering dampner that I replaced myself (2 bolts). Twice it failed to start when the line from the fuel pump came off. I removed the tank and replaced the filter and clamps. I do all my own maintenance, use BMW oil with moly disulfide added with each oil change to the rear drive. Brake pads have lasted 85K front and rear. tires metzler 880 last 18k to 25K . After the LT came out of the warrenty period I changed the motor oil to mobile one and changed all fluids at 10K. It gives 50 mpg in all warm weather operations and has given 60+ on several tanks at altitude. I carry a set of shift linkage, never used it. I have two complete rear drives in my garage in shipping boxes with the special tools that can be overnighted anywhere, never needed them. Its on battery #2 and is on a tender. I can leave for the west coast tomorrow without worry.
Everything works. Its the best motorcycle Ive owned 56 years of riding. I just purchased a 2007 K1200GT and will sell the LT later this spring. I have a hip replacement and can no longer pickup the LT if it falls over, I will really miss it.
I hope this helps you . Norm
Let me know what you think of the GT. I am coming froma Ultra Classic and am curious if I will miss the extras that come with a touring bike
post #47 of 64 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmons
Let me know what you think of the GT. I am coming froma Ultra Classic and am curious if I will miss the extras that come with a touring bike

"GT" = Get There
"LT" = Luxury Touring.

=)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #48 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 10:27 am

More stuff has gone wrong with me than with my 2005 LT. The bike and I have an agreement - I'm keeping it and it is keeping me.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #49 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
Silver is the best color.
I have found Silver to be the fastest, smoothest, and most reliable color.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #50 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Thumbs up Re: LT without problems?

Bought new in 03....108,865 miles no big problems......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in