A GREAT farkle! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up A GREAT farkle!

Just finished changing out the reflectors on my LT's saddlebads with Rider West Saddlebag LED lights. WOW!!! Not only is the bike easier to see from the rear now but the additional turn signals are awesome! What a great safety feature.

I purchased the kit from Raffy (www.motogear4you.com) and found the installation instructions very clear even for a neophyte like me.

I highly recommend these lights to all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:32 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Re: A GREAT farkle!

I just checked them out. They look like a good safety feature.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #3 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:40 pm
BMW Guru

I LOVE the way those look on a bike at night. Just been too lazy to put them on

Guess I better call Raffy...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #4 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Added to my growing wish list.

Next up are bluetooth headsets to go with my Zumo.

After looking through the site I suspect the list is going to get much longer.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #5 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 4:17 pm

I agree. They exceeded my expectations.

When I first heard of these I had a ho-hum attitude. At CCR two years ago I watched Raffy's guy install a set on a bike. I still didn't "get it".

Later on I ended up with a set. Installed them on a Winter day when I had little else to do. It gave me an excuse to dig into the bike again, which is always instructive. When I fired them up, I was surprised how good they looked. The LEDs are really crisp and bright compared to the stock bulbs, and the wig-wag turn signal effect is neat.

Now I'm sure EVERYONE will order a set!
post #6 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter

When I first heard of these I had a ho-hum attitude. At CCR two years ago I watched Raffy's guy install a set on a bike. I still didn't "get it".

Later on I ended up with a set. Installed them on a Winter day when I had little else to do. It gave me an excuse to dig into the bike again, which is always instructive. When I fired them up, I was surprised how good they looked. The LEDs are really crisp and bright compared to the stock bulbs, and the wig-wag turn signal effect is neat.

Now I'm sure EVERYONE will order a set!
And the same list member doing those saddlebag lights also does the tip over bumper lights. I'm pretty sure Raffy is gonna/is carrying those also. I've got a set (amber along the frontal edge and red along the trailing edge, with a gap at the bend where the bumper hits the ground in a tipover). Gotta git ole Toad back together and bofus on the road, and then I'll take pics.
post #7 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 6:39 pm
Super Moderator

Yep, I've had them on my last 2 LTs and don't think I would go without them. They really enhance your visibility, especially at night. I rarely have problems from cars behind me when I change lanes, either.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:48 pm

10-4 on that. It's one of the best, maybe THE best, thing I've done to the LT. It works, it looks stock, it's priced fairly, and it improves visibility.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:48 pm

I'm just sorry that it took me six years to purchase and install these lights.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 21 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:56 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter

Raffy's guy was non other than Larry Schumer oF Rider West fame. That is: the guy that puts those kits together.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #11 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:13 am

Dick, I thought Ol Toad was a LT not a GW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:31 am

That's okay Mike. This kit has only been around for just over 2 years. The other kit that was out there was of the Bob Rasters design, which is the one that was on my previous LT and my current LT>

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Feb 15th, 2008 at 7:07 am.
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 5:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Raffy's guy was non other than Larry Schumer oF Rider West fame. That is: the guy that puts those kits together.
I had Larry while at CCR (Braselton) install the LED kit, the Z Technic sheild and the top case brake light flasher.

I had trouble with the flasher and I want to say that Larry with Rider West graciously replaced the unit a few weeks ago, so a big thank you for your great service.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #14 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick
Just finished changing out the reflectors on my LT's saddlebads with Rider West Saddlebag LED lights. WOW!!! Not only is the bike easier to see from the rear now but the additional turn signals are awesome! What a great safety feature.

I purchased the kit from Raffy (www.motogear4you.com) and found the installation instructions very clear even for a neophyte like me.

I highly recommend these lights to all!

Ditto
Have them on Mine
What a diffrence at night

Easy to put on too if you do the old dental floss trick.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #15 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

I purchased a set from Raffy at Tan Tara as well but haven't had my "farkle" session yet. It's been too cold on the North Coast.

However, before spring I've got projects including Moto Lights, a Blue Sea fuse panel, a common ground farkle and another module for rear running lights and pulsing brakes. The cagers behind me should see me stop. Now . . . what to do about the damn deer?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #16 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:16 am
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
The cagers behind me should see me stop. Now . . . what to do about the damn deer?
A little cutting and modification will take care of the deer. By utilizing the external mirror mount on the right side of the handle bars you create a bracket with a soft sided clamp.

Then you need a good wood saw. Taking the 30.06 from the closet remove the rear portion of the stock.

Lock-n-load. Mount in the clamp. sight in...And when that sucker is stupid enough to get in front of you ..turn em' into venison stakes !!!

Rumor has it that it also helps n pullin' the front off the ground for a good wheelie !

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #17 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 6:59 pm

They are GREAT! Had 'em on the 02. MUCH more visible from the rear and sides, especially at night and marginal weather. Between these and the Muth mirrors, my lane changes/turns are noticed! Got a pair for the 07 they'll be on as soon as the deep freeze is over.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #18 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Had mine installed at Tan-Tar-A.
Agree its a great farkle.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #19 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 7:12 pm

AGREED, a Fantastic farkle thats is funtional as well !!

Had them on our LT for @ 2 years now, love the Wig Wag aspect of them, really gets your attention.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #20 of 21 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIC
A little cutting and modification will take care of the deer. By utilizing the external mirror mount on the right side of the handle bars you create a bracket with a soft sided clamp.

Then you need a good wood saw. Taking the 30.06 from the closet remove the rear portion of the stock.

Lock-n-load. Mount in the clamp. sight in...And when that sucker is stupid enough to get in front of you ..turn em' into venison stakes !!!

Rumor has it that it also helps n pullin' the front off the ground for a good wheelie !
Hmmm, long guns are illegal in Ohio for deer, but I have a 12 ga. magnum pump shotgun that will take sabot rounds. Guess that will work!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #21 of 21 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 8:10 pm

You guys make me blush... If you keep saying such nice things about my kits I'll have to give out flowers with each install at the next CCR.

Anyway, thanks for all your support over the years (even if you some of you think I'm "Raffy's Guy"--well, at least you didn't say I was his bitch ).

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in