K1200LT crash bar removal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:01 am Thread Starter

K1200LT crash bar removal?

I have removed the black rubber crash bar covers but haven't yet located the (one?) bolt that attaches the bar to the frame. Is it front center or rear? do the threads point l/r or up? Screwdriver, torx or mm wrench? Thanks much!
Ben White/The Hills, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:05 am

Are you sure you need to remove it? What are you doing?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:47 am

It's at the front of the bar, parallel to the ground and pointing straight back.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
It's at the front of the bar, parallel to the ground and pointing straight back.
Thanks Malcolm. I'll go look for it again. It appears that the crash bar slides into holes in the frame. Do I find the bolt (or is it a screw) behind the tupperware or is it exposed when the black cover is off?
B..
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Are you sure you need to remove it? What are you doing?
Curious huh! <BBG> The previous owner crafted some very comfortable but less than esthetically pleasing enclosed footrests and welded them to the crash bars.

His idea is excellent for a trike (this is) but would be too low to the ground on a 2-wheel bike. If I can figure out how to make them a bit more pleasing to the eye, I will reinstall them. Meanwhile, off they must come!

Best,
Ben White/The Hills, TX
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:08 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
Curious huh! <BBG> The previous owner crafted some very comfortable but less than esthetically pleasing enclosed footrests and welded them to the crash bars.

His idea is excellent for a trike (this is) but would be too low to the ground on a 2-wheel bike. If I can figure out how to make them a bit more pleasing to the eye, I will reinstall them. Meanwhile, off they must come!

Best,
Ben White/The Hills, TX
You need to remove the black bumper covers (done) and the chrome trim piece that those mount to. Ther are 3 bolts holding them on, 2 underneath and one at the back end near the rider's feet. Once you get that off you will see the metal bar and there is an Allen head bolt at the front where it slides into the receiver in the black subframe. After the blot is out you may have to wiggle it a bit to get it removed, they stick sometimes. If it's bad a few taps with a rubber mallet will coax it out. I always put a little silicone lubricant on the mounting posts when I reinstall; makes all the difference for the next removal. HTH

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:08 am

Quote:
Thanks Malcolm. I'll go look for it again. It appears that the crash bar slides into holes in the frame. Do I find the bolt (or is it a screw) behind the tupperware or is it exposed when the black cover is off?
B..
You have to take off the black plastic and the chromed plastic that's attached to it, to get to the bolt. The bolt is at the front of the crash bar and uses either a 5 or 6 mm allen wrench if I remember correctly.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:09 am

Just take off the black plastic cover and the chrome cover. You have to take the crash bar off in order to remove the tupperware. It's an allen bolt.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #9 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
Just take off the black plastic cover and the chrome cover. You have to take the crash bar off in order to remove the tupperware. It's an allen bolt.
Thanks all. I have the bars off. The questions I am now pondering are whether to (1) grind off the weld attaching the foot rests to the crash bars, (2) buy new crash bars, or (3) do without crash bars. They really aren't needed on a trike but the tupperware seems a bit 'steadier' with them in place. Thoughts?
post #10 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Re: K1200LT crash bar removal?

(1) grind off the weld attaching the foot rests to the crash bars, (2) buy new crash bars, or (3) do without crash bars

Your call. As you stated, the plastic is a bit sturdier with the bar in place. check with your dealer ir Chicago - they aren't all that expensive IIRC.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 2:51 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks all. I have the bars off. The questions I am now pondering are whether to (1) grind off the weld attaching the foot rests to the crash bars, (2) buy new crash bars, or (3) do without crash bars. They really aren't needed on a trike but the tupperware seems a bit 'steadier' with them in place. Thoughts?
I would suggest #2. They aren't that expensive and may be able to find them used at Beemer Boneyard. #1 seems like extra work for litt reason, and #3 would be a bad idea since this is what protects $700+ worth of bodywork from contacting the ground first in a low speed tipover.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:39 pm

Mine is stuck and I can't get it out. I had that wreck during the past summer. Tried several times to get it out but man O man is that thing stuck...
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 5:07 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
PM me if you need some new bars. I think I have some tucked away.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #14 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 5:09 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomK12LT
Mine is stuck and I can't get it out. I had that wreck during the past summer. Tried several times to get it out but man O man is that thing stuck...
Put some penetrating oil at the joints, corrosion will make them stick. A couple of taps with a plastic hammer will help as well.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #15 of 16 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I would suggest #2. They aren't that expensive and may be able to find them used at Beemer Boneyard. #1 seems like extra work for litt reason, and #3 would be a bad idea since this is what protects $700+ worth of bodywork from contacting the ground first in a low speed tipover.
Thanks David. I have new crash bars on order because the Tupperware doesn't flex as much with them in place. However, since this is a trike, if it tips over, I have much bigger problems than the Tupperware on one side of the engine! <g>
Best,
Ben
post #16 of 16 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
PM me if you need some new bars. I think I have some tucked away.
Randy,
I wish I had seen your note before I ordered bars. Thanks anyway.
Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in