Just curious - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Just curious

Hi Guys and Gals, I am curious to know something. I have been filling up motorcycles off and on for 31 years, mostly japanese ones, but a couple of other BMWs as well. Why does the LT need to be on it's sidestand to put petrol in?. One would think that having it on it's centre stand, and with the auto shutoff on all pumps, it would get an even tank full, no?.

Cheers and TIA,

Tony

Tony Carpenter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200LT 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:40 am
Gold Supporter

Side stand. If you fill it on the center stand you will be about a half gallon off full.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Side stand. If you fill it on the center stand you will be about a half gallon off full.
Thanks Jerry, kind of what I suspected, a strange shaped tank, I have been struggling to get even 6 gallons in when the BC says I have only 30 miles left with only around 200 miles at 42MPG..

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008

post #4 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

Filling on the center stand may also cause some gas to go out the over-flow line into the canister. Then she will not run worth a crap. I learned the hard way. The partial canisterectomy has been performed so it is no longer an issue for me.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #5 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 9:22 am
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makzimia
Thanks Jerry, kind of what I suspected, a strange shaped tank, I have been struggling to get even 6 gallons in when the BC says I have only 30 miles left with only around 200 miles at 42MPG..

Tony
When you see the gas tank with the tupperware off you'll understand. Also in the owner's manual it is pretty specific on how to fill it. Like my wife keeps reminding me "If all else fails read the instructions!!!" so one of these days I am going to set down and learn to read...then it's on to the instructions. Heck I might even pick up a "TOOL" and start working on my own scoot.....okay, maybe that's taking things a little to the extreme, but....

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #6 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Garage
Re: Just curious

Quote:
...Like my wife keeps reminding me "If all else fails read the instructions!!!"
My wife adds the second part: "If reading the instructions fails, try FOLLOWING them!"
post #7 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 4:37 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
When you see the gas tank with the tupperware off you'll understand. Also in the owner's manual it is pretty specific on how to fill it. Like my wife keeps reminding me "If all else fails read the instructions!!!" so one of these days I am going to set down and learn to read...then it's on to the instructions. Heck I might even pick up a "TOOL" and start working on my own scoot.....okay, maybe that's taking things a little to the extreme, but....
NO !!!!! put down the tool and step back slowly

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
My wife adds the second part: "If reading the instructions fails, try FOLLOWING them!"
Instructions are for nancies!!! (Wife and I have a WoW guild called RTFQ) seriously, something I just I thought I knew I should do after all these years. Only reason I asked was seeing all the references to it when I was checking what others got MPG wise. I was certain I was suffering shortage of distance for a 6.34 gallon tank. Pulled out manuel to check that it said to put it on the sidestand of course. Final thing was to ask why, since of course manuel (yes it is spelt wrong deliberately ) doesn't actually say why.

Cheers,

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #9 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 5:08 pm

Quote:
When you see the gas tank with the tupperware off you'll understand.
Finally took some of the bike apart last weekend to run a power cable for my new Garmin. You're right, it does make sense after seeing the tank.

"Don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to explain to the paramedics."

Gary Helmers
Sparks, NV
2002 K1200LT
2003 XR250R
post #10 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 6:01 pm

Its Just Stubbornness.
Bob
post #11 of 20 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
NO !!!!! put down the tool and step back slowly
Dang Steve, you talk to him the way you talk to me!

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 20 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 9:51 am

Learn something new everyday.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #13 of 20 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 2:39 pm

OK, what is a PARTIAL canisterectomy?

I am considering ordering another canister for an install at 43k, just because it will be apart for other reasons. Dealer highly recommended, NOT to remove it.
He sure knows a hell of a lot more than I do. Having no idea how all the previous owners filled the tank, seemed like a good precautionary move to replace it.

Anyway to tell once I get that far, if it needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Good thing I have yet to put the LT on the center stand, or I surely would have filled it that way.
post #14 of 20 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ya... putting fuel in our rig is a pain . Crank the handle bars to the side , & put the gag hose over my shoulder . Then I have to work the gag valve with y thumb.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #15 of 20 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:16 pm

This is my second LT and I know without a doubt that my 05 has been filled 98% of the time on the centerstand. I can't wait to do it right.....now where is that manual?

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #16 of 20 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 5:36 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

I have filled mine on the center stand since day one. I am just so weary of the side stand.
I did read the manual and just did not follow their advise, no problems yet so I had better keep my fingers crossed.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #17 of 20 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave

I am considering ordering another canister for an install at 43k, just because it will be apart for other reasons. Dealer highly recommended, NOT to remove it.
He sure knows a hell of a lot more than I do. Having no idea how all the previous owners filled the tank, seemed like a good precautionary move to replace it.

Thanks!

Good thing I have yet to put the LT on the center stand, or I surely would have filled it that way.
Yechave, I would not replace the canister just do the partial canisterectomy, it's an easy job.
  1. open riders seat
  2. remove (2) bolts for pillion seat and raise seat
  3. you'll see canister under topcase and inlet hose from front of bike on the right side.
  4. remove inlet hose and redirect down along swingarm
  5. on left side of canister remove return line and plug the hose securely to prevent vacuum leak to fuel rail.
  6. thats it your done.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #18 of 20 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave

Thanks!

Your dealer likes the canaster because it makes business for him. Yank that sucker out and throw it in the trash where it belongs. Follow the instructions for the canisterectomy and don't give it another thought. EVER... As for fueling on the sidestand. I always pulled up to the pump in 1st gear drop the sidestand to kill the engine. Roll forward until you feel the engine resistance. This way you will not roll off the sidestand.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #19 of 20 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Wink Re: Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Your dealer likes the canaster because it makes business for him. Yank that sucker out and throw it in the trash where it belongs. Follow the instructions for the canisterectomy and don't give it another thought. EVER... As for fueling on the sidestand. I always pulled up to the pump in 1st gear drop the sidestand to kill the engine. Roll forward until you feel the engine resistance. This way you will not roll off the sidestand.
+1! What Brian says is exactly how I stop the LT every time. One other item if you can remember, is to hold her upright for a few seconds after you lower the side stand to kill the motor. This will allow the oil to run back where it belongs rather than trying to leak past the piston rings and becoming a smoker on start up!

Been riding without that canister for over 5 years now with nary a problem!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #20 of 20 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Your dealership has 'got' to say that, or face a slap on the wrist if the EPA ever hears him say that!!

And doesn't nearly the whole of the *Continent* ride without a cannister; it's mainly for the Amurryican market!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in