Plugged it with Stop and GO! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Plugged it with Stop and GO!

I found the brad (small nail) that was responsible for a slow air leak in my rear tire. Thanks to this forum, I've had a Stop and Go tire plugger in my side case for a few years. I re-read the directions, pulled the nail, fought to get the first tool, a reamer, into the hole, set the plug into the tool, took the nipple with the spear on it, and plunged it into the hole the reamer made. I removed the spear, attached the plugger and started to allen wrench the plug into the hole. When I removed the plugger, it was clear that I hadn't driven the plug far enough into the tire.

For my next attempt, I drove the nipple and spear in with a hammer--that did the trick!

While I keep the Stop and Go in my bike, I don't keep a hammer with it.

Anyone have a trick to get the nipple and spear into the hole?

Once I plugged the hole, I wired up my $10.00, 12 volt air compressor, from Wallmart, and filled the tire up. I have to get the compressor's pressure gauge to a little over 50psi in order to get 48 psi into the tire.

Since a lot of air had escaped, it took a few minutes to fill the rear tire, which gave me time to clean up and put everything away.

As I was going from my garage back into my house, I noticed the battery KILLER had been turned on, the parking light.

I'll give her a ride around after my pottery class tonight, check the pressure before tomorrow's riding.

Bob, 00LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 8:39 pm

Stop N Go

Did you get the tool around the spear all the way buried in the tire? Was the plug oily when you started? If Yes to both, then you didn't screw the allen wrench in all the way, until it bottoms. I've used this tool several times and never had a problem.
post #3 of 11 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:22 pm

What is a Stop and Go? Any pictures of the kit? where can you buy them?

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

"Did you get the tool around the spear all the way buried in the tire? "

Nope. I needed my hammer to do that.

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

Bob
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 5:41 am

Talking

If the nipple/spear is hard to insert ... use the reamer some more till it widens up . Sounds perverted but that's how it works.
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 6:13 am

Quote:
I'll give her a ride around after my pottery class tonight
Is this what I have to look forward to when I get old?

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm

front and rear????

Do you guys use/trust this type of plug/patch on front tires or just the rears. I currently have a screw in a fairly new front that I have been running on but am now to the point where I have to re-inflate every day I ride. Pressure drops to ~15 psi overnight. I hate to scrap an almost new tire....these LT's go through tires fast enough from from regular riding!!!!!

Steve
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Re: Plugged it with Stop and GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Is this what I have to look forward to when I get old?

I'll let you know right after I change my Depends.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Re: front and rear????

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser
Do you guys use/trust this type of plug/patch on front tires or just the rears. I currently have a screw in a fairly new front that I have been running on but am now to the point where I have to re-inflate every day I ride. Pressure drops to ~15 psi overnight. I hate to scrap an almost new tire....these LT's go through tires fast enough from from regular riding!!!!!

Steve
Me personally, I trust them to get me to someplace where I can get the tire replaced rather than stranded on the side of the road.

As for a screw in my front that is losing air, I would replace the tire, $100 is cheap compared to having the tire go flat at speed.

But the Stop-N - Go is a great product. I've been carrying one now for five years along with a small electric air compressor. Beats walking home!

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #10 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:24 pm

I have a plug in my rear tire, been there for several months now.... Not to worried about it either. Just keep a close eye on the pressure and you should be fine.
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I'll give her a ride around after my pottery class tonight,
Bob, 00LT
Don't know about pottery classes but maybe after Grif changes his Depends we could all take dance classes just think how happy our SO's would be. After all it is Valentines Day.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in