Naked (nekid?) slithers of copper - normal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
BDC

Naked (nekid?) slithers of copper - normal?

Following a stripdown (the bike not me) I've been examining my clutch friction plate.

Oh OK then, I was naked during the examination. It doesn't make me a bad person. Honesty is the best policy.

The friction material appears to be a mixture of fibrous material and sintered copper.

Streaks of copper are clearly visible on both friction surfaces merged between the other friction material.

Tiny slithers of copper which have worn off the surface can be found within the clutch bellhousing.

I'm not that familiar with dry clutches, is this a normal wear pattern?

The friction plate is dark in color but is dry with no apparent oil contamination.

Also - my leaking input shaft seal.........somebody on this forum posted a photo showing the seal having a felt upper surface. Mine is not like this. Could mine be the wrong seal or have the seals been updated or changed over the years?

I'll get dressed now before anybody replies.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Some "transfer" of material is "normal". As the clutch material wears off you'll have some in the bell housing...like a dust. As the pressure plate breaks in, material is transferred to it from the clutch plate. There will also be material on the flywheel (that the pressure plate bolts to).

The felt is to help oil that seeps to transfer to the sides of the opening rather than "creep" down the shaft to the clutch... better to leak down the inside than get on the clutch... but, alas, eventually it will probably get to the clutch if it leaks enough... or if enough is slung around in the housing...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in