Buying a LT - New or Used - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Buying a LT - New or Used

I'm looking to purchase a LT shortly. I am considering a used one if I can find the right one and new if not. But I'm not familiar with the LT pedigree and don't know what changes have occured over the years to decide which models/years I should consider or stay away from.

Can anyone provide a basic change history from say 2003 forward? Or a basic feature list of stock models that changed by year?

I'm looking for basic ideas like HID lighting, servo assited centerstand, motor modifications, drivetrain modifications (or years to stay away from), and the like. I'd like to make a well informed purchase and be happy with it not wishing I'd never made it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I'm looking to purchase a LT shortly. I am considering a used one if I can find the right one and new if not. But I'm not familiar with the LT pedigree and don't know what changes have occured over the years to decide which models/years I should consider or stay away from.

Can anyone provide a basic change history from say 2003 forward? Or a basic feature list of stock models that changed by year?

I'm looking for basic ideas like HID lighting, servo assited centerstand, motor modifications, drivetrain modifications (or years to stay away from), and the like. I'd like to make a well informed purchase and be happy with it not wishing I'd never made it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Go for 2003 or 2004 model year. 2005 model added electric center stand, more power etc. I would not recommend the first model year of new design (i.e. 2005). It usually takes 2-3 years to fix issues. You can add HID etc yourself, later.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 2:29 pm

Smile

Matt is right... I had a wonderful and beautiful 2005 with all the Farkles
If I had to do over again I would have gotten a 2002 - 2204 with the better stock seat, analog Speedo/tach gauges and real manual center stand..

Older seat worked better, analog gauges easier to see and Hydraulic stand just something more to worry about to go wrong on this already complicated machine. I loved it and had no problems and the new style is much prettier with more chrome but for usability and cost.. I would go used and will probably again.

YMMV my .02

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 2:56 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

If I had it to do over I would have bought used. The hit I took taking it off the Dealers lot was a killer.

Buy used with known heritage (service records) and then spend the money you saved for goodies.

And if you are into a 15-20000 mile bike, the 12,000 big money service is done.

I have seen some guys from this forum get some great prices on used LT's with pretty low miles.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 4:07 pm

I looked at an '08 at the dealer, then looked in the area for a used bike. I Found an '06 that was originally purchased new in dec of '06, and only ridden last season, it still has almost two years on the original warantee, and is basically only one year old. I saved almost $7K off the price of the '08. All I need to add is a comm system and GPS.

Tony
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Buying "new" gave me all the warranty, newest technology, better engine output, etc.

Yeah, It cost me a few thousand... but I've had it all from new... I know how this machine has been ridden ... at least by me. That is important to me...

Now, as the factory warranty was expiring, I was able to pick up an extended warranty which covers nearly any problem.. that may kick up..

During this process, I leaned so much about this machine and have had problems.. all resolved...

So, it is a personal choice... if you've had good results with "used" vehicles, proceed. If not, may want to have someone tag along for a look at the bike.

Either way, I wish you all the best..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Entire volumes have been written about model year changes and standard equipment and packages so feel free to search the forum for more detailed info.

LTs can be grouped into three categories:

1999-2001 (earlier than you asked about)

2002-2004 (added integrated servo-powered brakes)

2005-present

There were several changes in 2005. The front end geometry was changed a little to help low speed handling. Opinions vary on how much it changed. Engine horsepower was increased somewhat. I rode a new 2005 right after I purchased my used '99 and it sure seemed to have more power. The electric centerstand was added. A neat gizmo although the manual stand works fine, too. The driver's seat was reshaped to help shorter riders reach the ground; this is generally considered to be a drawback but many riders customize their seats anyway and if it really bothers you, buy a used seat from a pre-05 and have it recovered. The instruments were changed and an LCD display added to the dash. The new instruments look fresh but I agree that the old speedo was easier to read. Hey, just install a GPS at your line of sight and use its digital speedo instead. The 2005 model year also saw the division of the high beam and low beam into separate modules. Probably helped a little but all the bikes benefit from an HID upgrade regardless of model year. I think a factory HID (Xenon) low beam became an option in 2005. There are aftermarket HID low beam kit available for less than $100 so don't sweat that one.

The early bikes came in three trim levels, Standard, Icon and Custom (later BMW added an Elite, later the Expedition or something, that added GPS and intercom). Each package added more standard features. By 2005 (I think) BMW dropped the packages. Later bikes could be ordered with more stuff, some accessories are dealer installed. A dealer brochure will probably help here.

Which bike is right? There are well maintained older bikes that will do 90% of what a brand new bike will do for a fraction of the cost. You have to weed through them, though, and if you guess wrong and have to replace a clutch or a final drive, you could be writing a big check. Buy it cheap enough and that's an acceptable risk.

I don't think I'd hesitate to buy a good used 2005. Some of those are getting down to reasonable levels now, and it would be mechanically pretty close to a brand new one. If you find one with some warranty left, all the better.

Intercom systems and GPS are popular options. BMW offers these, but there are aftermarket alternatives that work just as well or better, and cost much less. Lots of info on this board on those subjects as well.

Whatever you do, do NOT demo a K1200GT!
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 7:33 pm

As allot have said already,, used is fine but buy new!!

New is your from the start, you will know every mile on it.. You will have the latest under the hood updates that BMW has done to the LT...

A full warranty for 3 years,, a good start with a dealer that over the years you will build a good relationship with...

Now I'm not knocking used,, if you are considering used try to stay '05 and newer.......Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #9 of 16 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:13 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
Go for 2003 or 2004 model year. 2005 model added electric center stand, more power etc. I would not recommend the first model year of new design (i.e. 2005). It usually takes 2-3 years to fix issues. You can add HID etc yourself, later.
I have to disagree with you there. I had a 99, 02, and 05 (all first years for major changes) and each one was a great bike, and none of them full of bugs. The 99 did had a rear drive failure but that was the only significant failure on any of the three bikes. The 05 has been the most trouble free one of the bunch; so far it's only needed routine maintenance and the oddments box unlocked by the shop after the power lock jammed once.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 6:17 am

I've bought 2 used LTs from members of this list. The first one I purchased, I knew the owner by reputation only and purchased the bike and he shipped from the west coast to Atlanta. I put 88,000 miles on the bike in just over 3 years. The second bike I purchased local from another site member that is a personal friend. I know how he maintained the bike and most of the service work was done in his garage. When he has had dealer work done, I know where it was done, because we use the same dealer.

Any way, I have no hesitation in buying used. If you find one cross country that interests you, post here on the site that you're looking at a particular machine in a particular location. Some one will go check the bike out for you and tell you whether it's good deal or not.

Good hunting.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Feb 14th, 2008 at 5:56 pm.
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 8:18 am

In May of '05 I bought a used '05 LT with 196 miles on it I saved over $3,000 verses what the dealer was going to charge me for the exact same bike. I put 425 miles on it the first day and stopped to have the 600 mile service done and the rode another 825 miles mack to MN - I bought the bike in NJ.

There are alot of very nice used ones to be found.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #12 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 9:16 am

new or used?

unless you are dripping with cash or need a specific color,

USED.

mucho cheaper. LT values drop like a rock. That's one of the reasons I bought an LT over a wing.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Re: Buying a LT - New or Used

They only drop in value the first few years.... Then they level out and maintain the same used value percentage of most all bikes... Don't trade it the first year and the new bike will do you just fine.......

Now if penny pinching is your second favorite hobby then only buy used.... and make your next thread about where to buy the cheapest oil filter ..... Buy BMW filters and you will never go wrong...........Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 2:59 pm

I'm sure the dealer loves you....
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Definately, USED!

The LT is a money pit.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

Guys, this is an old thread. I've already bought my LT. I decided to buy used as that way I got two motorcycles for the price of one. I did buy one with some factory warrenty left so I could also buy an extended warrenty. I've already used the factory warrenty to replace the radio, fix reverse, and replace the rear brake rotor with the newer (quiter) style.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in