Is the FD for the LT unique to the LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Is the FD for the LT unique to the LT?

Someone told me they had seen a FD for sale for the LT, but it "supposedly" would work on another K bike..
Is this possible? I would have thought BMW made the LT final drive unique to the LT. (weight etc.)
Thanks,
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 11:15 pm

Nope. The drive internals year to year are the same for several bikes. Only differences in the housing. Gear sets and bearings are interchangeable, only difference in most cases are gear ratios. I was looking for a GS drive once to swap the gear set into my LT FD to get a higher ratio (lower gear). Still would love to do that if I ever get another LT. I would love to have the engine be able to come near peak power in 5th, and have a much stronger start out in low.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 3:59 am

Mr Shealey - would that mean faster in top gear? If so, where in the states would you get to use that then?
I could so with it when I go to Germany mind you!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 5:59 am Thread Starter

O.K. so if I bought this FD as a back-up. I could use the gears at least? Putting them in my existing housing? I think I would rather have a final drive that I could just install if my present one has problems. Not that it's going to, but I want some insurance, and if I can but it right.. What is a used one worth. The one I'm looking at supposedly has 9,000 mi on it.
Thanks,
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #5 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 6:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Mr Shealey - would that mean faster in top gear? If so, where in the states would you get to use that then?
I could so with it when I go to Germany mind you!
I am pretty sure if one put in a 10% higher ratio the LT would go faster in 5th gear. As it is now, the engine is not anywhere near it's power peak in 5th gear when wind resistance and power become equal and the bike won't go any faster. Not that anyone needs to go faster, but on a couple occasions I have tested my LT and found 124 as it's top speed by GPS. It will run just about the same in 4th gear. At times, depending on road/wind, people have reported an actual slow down when shifting from 4th to 5th.

You can look in ETK, or the online parts lists, and find the different ratios available. Takes a while to go through all the R and K models to find the different ratios. If I remember correctly, it was a R1100 GS final drive that had the highest ratio, just over 10% more than the LT, which would raise the engine RPM 10% in any gear.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Nope. The drive internals year to year are the same for several bikes. Only differences in the housing. Gear sets and bearings are interchangeable, only difference in most cases are gear ratios. I was looking for a GS drive once to swap the gear set into my LT FD to get a higher ratio (lower gear). Still would love to do that if I ever get another LT. I would love to have the engine be able to come near peak power in 5th, and have a much stronger start out in low.
You can always do this:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos.htm#k1200

[IMG]Panels off, Turbo, cannister and connector pipe shown[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200lt3turbo.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	16591  

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusmckay
You can always do this:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos.htm#k1200

[IMG]Panels off, Turbo, cannister and connector pipe shown[/IMG]

Awesome! Noticed this printed in the article:

K1200LT Weak Point

Right now the clutch is the weak link. (DOH!) We are working on heavy duty clutches that will need to be installed with the turbo kit. We are hearing of short clutch life in stock bikes and our own testing has shown the clutch will slip quite eaily if it is not fully engaged under low boost shifts.

Sure hope they'll devleop a heavy duty clutch for the LT! Might help some of you guys out!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I am pretty sure if one put in a 10% higher ratio the LT would go faster in 5th gear. As it is now, the engine is not anywhere near it's power peak in 5th gear when wind resistance and power become equal and the bike won't go any faster. Not that anyone needs to go faster, but on a couple occasions I have tested my LT and found 124 as it's top speed by GPS. It will run just about the same in 4th gear. At times, depending on road/wind, people have reported an actual slow down when shifting from 4th to 5th.
I was reading my owners manual when I first got my bike and I am sure I read that the LT was electronically limited to 122mph. When I told my wife that she told me to get rid of it right then if will only go that fast - joking big time. Could this be the reason that some report being able to go faster in 4th than 5th? Is there a limiter somewhere within the netherworld that our gurus have not yet found?

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I was reading my owners manual when I first got my bike and I am sure I read that the LT was electronically limited to 122mph. When I told my wife that she told me to get rid of it right then if will only go that fast - joking big time. Could this be the reason that some report being able to go faster in 4th than 5th? Is there a limiter somewhere within the netherworld that our gurus have not yet found?
My 2002 LTe has been checked against my GPS @ 126 MPH, (Speedo read 138) which was verified by the Fla Hiway Patrol.

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 9:45 pm

I would love to be able to change the FD to a get a lower first gear. I have had my 05' to 127mph on the GPS and it is no where near redline.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 6:09 am

One thing no one has mention yet, is that the final drive for the 99-01 bikes is different from the 02 and up. The speedometer sensor is set in the top of the 99-01 FDs.

I also think that there is a gear ration difference between the earlier bikes and the '02 and up. But then I've been wrong before.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 6:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
One thing no one has mention yet, is that the final drive for the 99-01 bikes is different from the 02 and up. The speedometer sensor is set in the top of the 99-01 FDs.

I also think that there is a gear ration difference between the earlier bikes and the '02 and up. But then I've been wrong before.
'99-01 33/12 2.75
'02-up 34/13 2.62

'99 r1150gs 31/11 2.82

Put an old style rear end in a newer bike and get 5% higher engine speed.

dan
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: Is the FD for the LT unique to the LT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
There is no limiter that I know of, and have never heard of any evidence that there is one. The limiter is power curve vs wind resistance. You can feel it, and there is no evidence from my experience of any "dial back" of power as you reach the peak speed possible under the road/wind condiditons.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in