Just Fishing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Just Fishing

Hello,

I am a 10 year Goldwing Rider. I have a 2001, 1800 with 20 k miles. I usually ride 2 up. I'm board with my bike. Today I rode a 2002 Lt, with 39k for 1 hour. I'm intrigued. It smoked at first and had some valve train noise.

I'm asking for unbiased information. If I purchase this bike, how much can I expect to pay? Should I hold out for an 05? It seems like the wife will really be exposed based on the seat height. Is that the case? Are there standard problems for this model?. What type of upgrades are expected?

Thanks for your time.
Dale,
Dublin Ga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:59 pm
KIC

Well let's see if we can hit the highlights.

A lot of members here have come from a GW and wouldn't go back.

The smoking is normal if it was left on the side stand immediately after running. That can be prevented if you leave it upright for 30 +/- seconds after shutting off the motor or better yet put it on the center stand.

100,000 + miles are not uncommon for these bikes. The major difference as I know it from the 05 on ups are the electric center stand and a slightly different front rake that helps a little on the slow tight turn issue.

Major issue you will hear about these bikes have to do with the Final Drive (FD). Latest stats seem to show that earlier K1200LT's have a 4% failure issue but not a big deal over all.

The best part of the K1200LT is this forum. Everything you would want to know, plus a few things you don't want to know, is here.

Like they say: Once you've done a Beamer, you'll never go back to the Winger. It's an old saying I just made up.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Hi Dale, I have 2002 LT with over 100,000 miles on the clock.
They all smoke on startup if parked on the side stand for any time.
Thanks Dave,
Do you ride 2 up? If so have you ever been two up on a GL1800.? Whats most important to us is comfort and safety. The gl has some buffeting issues at highway speeds, especially around semi's.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:11 pm

The "valve train noise" was probably what we refer to as "K Buzz". It's not an issue ... it's a FEATURE!
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:48 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Hello,

I am a 10 year Goldwing Rider. I have a 2001, 1800 with 20 k miles. I usually ride 2 up. I'm board with my bike. Today I rode a 2002 Lt, with 39k for 1 hour. I'm intrigued. It smoked at first and had some valve train noise.

I'm asking for unbiased information. If I purchase this bike, how much can I expect to pay? Should I hold out for an 05? It seems like the wife will really be exposed based on the seat height. Is that the case? Are there standard problems for this model?. What type of upgrades are expected?

Thanks for your time.
Dale,
Dublin Ga.
Asking for unbiased opinions on the LT site...hmmm.

Kidding aside, if the LT is parked on the sidestand for a while a little oil gets onto the valves and burns off on startup. Not a big deal, just annoying. My 99 and 02 had some valvetrain noise but nothing to worry about. My 05 is much quieter. There aren't any standard problems, but the ones talked about the most are rear drive failures (significantly less after 03 model year but still occur from time to time) and slave cylinder repairs. Fairly low percentage of both, but as with the Goldwing cracked frame once the word gets out EVERYBODY talks about it. AS you can tell, I've owned 3 LTs across the year range for the model and only upgraded because the older ones met with untimely demises in accidents. I probably would have traded the 99 by now, but I'm fairly sure I would still be riding the 02 if I hadn't lost a fight with a mountainside on a rainy day. Every one of them are/were great bikes and I don't regret a minute on any of them (well, except for the last one on each of the first two)

As for upgrades, there are plenty. I have done a bunch of stuff to my 05 LT. Click the link below to see a list and some pics of the install of most of the stuff.

And yes, it's for sale, and no, this is not a sales pitch (unless of course you're interested ). Really, just sharing the ideas and some options.

http://www.davidkari.com/LTForSale/album/LTForSale.html

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 1:16 am

Lesse here..upgrades for the 2002....HID headlight, grip puppies to make the grips fatter and more comfortable, extra lighting via the runnin lights mod, saddlebag reflector mod (changes to LED's) and PIAA or other front lights. GPS & intercom if it doesn't already have, MP3 player, better seat, windshield. Just about anything you can think of.
I have an 02 and I ride with my wife or son (both about 5' 7") and they both say they have no buffeting issues and it is quiet back behind me.
39k miles, it is just about broken in.

You're a next door neighbor. I live just down I 16 from you, not quite in Savannah.

And how much to pay? I bought my 02 in oct 06 and paid $8800, if that gives you any point of refrence
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 2:58 am

As to pillion comfort, the LT variable hieght screen gives my pillion a turbulance free bubble.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:58 am Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. it sounds promising. I think I'm going to make an offer. He is asking $8000. NADA low retail is $6900. It's not a high retail bike.

I could not see through the small clear display on upper "tank" area. is that important or can i change the lens?
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 7:49 am

[QUOTE=dnifong]Thanks Guys. it sounds promising. I think I'm going to make an offer. He is asking $8000. NADA low retail is $6900. It's not a high retail bike.

I could not see through the small clear display on upper "tank" area. is that important or can i change the lens?[/QUOTE

Clean the display withd denatured alcohol. It clears nicely but you will need to do it every couple of months.
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

OK thanks,

What is the rear drivetrain failure that is mentioned. Are there any easy inspections that I can do before I purchase the bike to deterime if failure is imminate?

thanks,
Dale
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Morley,

thanks for the reply.
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 1:51 pm

Quote:
OK thanks,

What is the rear drivetrain failure that is mentioned. Are there any easy inspections that I can do before I purchase the bike to deterime if failure is imminate?

thanks,
Dale
With the bike on the center stand, grab the rear tire at 9 and 3 to check for any bearing wear. Also, check at 12 & 6, 10 & 4, 2 & 8. Check maintenance record, with the vin a BMW dealer could share any info they have.

Also, be sure the 36K service was done, the dealer will charge over $1.2k to do it.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Last edited by Daveh; Feb 12th, 2008 at 2:09 pm.
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

OK,

what happens when the rear drive fails. could that noise that I heard "a whine" be a "prefail noise"?

thanks
Dale
post #14 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:01 pm

I don't believe so. The flying brick motor makes a whine all it's own. You won't hear the readend letting go, so pre-flight it before every ride.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Steve,

what are the preflight procedures? Are there symptoms before a failure? What happens after the failure?

thanks,
Dale
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 6:24 am

Fishing

Every rider has different experiences with the LT, depending on height, leg length etc. I ride 60% two up and my passenger reported a lot of wind buffeting that she did not experience on the HD Ultras I have owned for over 150,000 miles. This was with the stock tall BMW shield, no matter what position it was in. So, we tried a couple of aftermarket windshields and found one that really made it much more comfortable for her. Since everyone is different, what worked for her, may not work for you passenger. I suggest you go to a big BMW Rally where vendors show up. In my case, they let me mount their windshields on my bike and go for a ride. Then you can pick the best one for you. It gets way too expensive to keep buying aftermarket shields only to find out it does not solve the problem.

Ultra LT
post #17 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 7:02 am Thread Starter

thanks,

does anyone know the averge age for the LT or BMW rider?

When we are around goldwing functions, I really start to feel old.
post #18 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 8:52 am

Wink Under Surveys & Polls

Is where you can find a somewhat definitive answer to you age question:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2247

John

Quote:
thanks,

does anyone know the averge age for the LT or BMW rider?

When we are around goldwing functions, I really start to feel old.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #19 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 9:02 am

Quote:
OK,

what happens when the rear drive fails. could that noise that I heard "a whine" be a "prefail noise"?

thanks
Dale
If the tires on the bike are Metzelers that are a bit worn out you will hear some whining noise in corners but not on straight lines. This is normal and a known "feature".

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in