New to me LT... now what - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

New to me LT... now what

Finally found the right deal for me LT after what seemed to be an eternity. It is an 06 with 7K miles from the 2nd owner who only put 2K miles on it when he decided that three bikes (2 HD's and the beemer) were too much.

I have contacted the dealer (Max BMW)who sold it last to get a service history but have received no reply yet.

The owner was informed by the dealer that it did not need anything done when he picked it up but could not confirm that the 6K service was done. It is not riding weather here so I do not pick it up for another two months or so.

Anything I should do as far as maintenance issues?

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Garage
Ride, Captain, ride!

If it has good rubber, and the fluid levels are correct, you are Good to Go.

Of course, that's only my opinion...
post #3 of 21 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:13 pm

I just picked up my 06 LT last weekend (also sold by MAX BMW). I picked up mine from original owner that put 11K on it. It sure does suck that it sits in the garage waiting out this weather.

Mine will need 12K service and new tires fairly soon.

Should be able to ride in a few weeks though. It isn't the temperature that keeps me from riding as much as all the snow, and another 4 - 8 inches tomorrow night!!!!!

Tony

post #4 of 21 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Riding season in Florida

We are into our riding weather here... No love bugs, snow birds haven't arrived on the west coast yet and man this weather is super. So nice to not break into a sweat or get hit by a downpour. Let you northern bikes vacation in Florida for the winter. We'll keep them happy!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 21 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
We are into our riding weather here... No love bugs, snow birds haven't arrived on the west coast yet and man this weather is super. So nice to not break into a sweat or get hit by a downpour. Let you northern bikes vacation in Florida for the winter. We'll keep them happy!
Ok, Ok, so I envy you not having to need a battery tender. I was in Orlando in January and it was a tad freezing, as I recal...

Enjoy...
post #6 of 21 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
I just picked up my 06 LT last weekend (also sold by MAX BMW). I picked up mine from original owner that put 11K on it. It sure does suck that it sits in the garage waiting out this weather.

Mine will need 12K service and new tires fairly soon.

Should be able to ride in a few weeks though. It isn't the temperature that keeps me from riding as much as all the snow, and another 4 - 8 inches tomorrow night!!!!!

Tony
I here good things about Max but do not have direct experience. Were you able to ride yours home? Great scenery in NH.

I am wondering if I should do all the oils and brake fluid for peace of mind...

Mauro
post #7 of 21 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:26 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Talking

I would check your levels and ride OR check your levels and look at it while it sits in the garage because the weather sucks...

One major thing to remember is to keep the front wheel straight when you are coming to a stop. DO NOT turn slightly left or right as you come to a final stop. The bike is top heavy so it will take the opportunity to fall over...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
I would check your levels and ride OR check your levels and look at it while it sits in the garage because the weather sucks...

One major thing to remember is to keep the front wheel straight when you are coming to a stop. DO NOT turn slightly left or right as you come to a final stop. The bike is top heavy so it will take the opportunity to fall over...
Thnx for the tip tvguy, I thought that looking straight and a gentle push on the right (or is it the left?) grip when you come to the stop will instintcly allow your left foot to go down. Is it true that 05 and up LT's have a shorter rake making it easier to manouver at slow speeds?

Mauro
post #9 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:47 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs
Finally found the right deal for me LT after what seemed to be an eternity. It is an 06 with 7K miles from the 2nd owner who only put 2K miles on it when he decided that three bikes (2 HD's and the beemer) were too much.

I have contacted the dealer (Max BMW)who sold it last to get a service history but have received no reply yet.

The owner was informed by the dealer that it did not need anything done when he picked it up but could not confirm that the 6K service was done. It is not riding weather here so I do not pick it up for another two months or so.

Anything I should do as far as maintenance issues?

M
If the oil looks clean the 6k was probably done. If you're worried about it, change the oil, trans and FD oil and you should be good. I know that the last two aren't part of the Inspection I (6k) but they are part of the Annual and should be done on a two year old bike anyway...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 1:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
If the oil looks clean the 6k was probably done. If you're worried about it, change the oil, trans and FD oil and you should be good. I know that the last two aren't part of the Inspection I (6k) but they are part of the Annual and should be done on a two year old bike anyway...
The previous owner did change the engine oil when he layed it up for the winter but said he did not do the tran or FD so that would be good to do to be on the safe side. I am also wondering about the brake fluid wich I do not think should be attempted without dealer assistance. Also hoping MAX BMW comes through to advise me on the service history.

Appreciate your advice!

Mauro
post #11 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 1:18 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
The previous owner did change the engine oil when he layed it up for the winter but said he did not do the tran or FD so that would be good to do to be on the safe side. I am also wondering about the brake fluid wich I do not think should be attempted without dealer assistance. Also hoping MAX BMW comes through to advise me on the service history.

Appreciate your advice!

Mauro
The bike is about two years old so it's probably do for a brake and clutch fluid flush.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #12 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 2:14 am

Quote:
Thnx for the tip tvguy, I thought that looking straight and a gentle push on the right (or is it the left?) grip when you come to the stop will instintcly allow your left foot to go down. Is it true that 05 and up LT's have a shorter rake making it easier to manouver at slow speeds?

Mauro
Leaning forward and tipping the horse's nose to one side or the other will have them begin on the correct lead; pressing on the grip when coming to a stop is not a technique I've heard while teaching the BRC. You may be confusing the right/left grip pressing with countersteering that is used for pressing to initiate lean, as for cornering; press right, turn right; press left, go left. If you haven't taken the Basic Rider's Course for quite some time, it would be a cheap investment to help you get "back in the saddle."

When coming to a stop, look straight ahead, use both brakes, and make sure the handle bars are squared when stopping. Subconscientiously, we probably lean to the left or nod our head to the left to make the bike lean left; with your other foot on the rear break, the left leg either goes down or the bike falls.

I do understand the '05 have a different rake for the reason you mentioned.

Welcome to the forum.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 4:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
Leaning forward and tipping the horse's nose to one side or the other will have them begin on the correct lead; pressing on the grip when coming to a stop is not a technique I've heard while teaching the BRC. You may be confusing the right/left grip pressing with countersteering that is used for pressing to initiate lean, as for cornering; press right, turn right; press left, go left. If you haven't taken the Basic Rider's Course for quite some time, it would be a cheap investment to help you get "back in the saddle."

When coming to a stop, look straight ahead, use both brakes, and make sure the handle bars are squared when stopping. Subconscientiously, we probably lean to the left or nod our head to the left to make the bike lean left; with your other foot on the rear break, the left leg either goes down or the bike falls.

I do understand the '05 have a different rake for the reason you mentioned.

Welcome to the forum.
Thnx wacolt, I did take lessons from a fellow LTer that trained police students for a living. He advised me of the manouver that I tried to explain. I used to ride an 01 LT that I found distressing to manouver. After two hours of going through the paces with his training, my control and confidence levels were increased.

You explain it better in that it is as if you are trying to contersteer without applying that much pressure (a slight push) just before you reach full stop. The action causes your left foot to go down while your right foot is still on the peg to operate the rear brake if necessary. I believe the brakes are linked so applying brake pressure at the pedal would also work the front. This manouver would only work with the handlebars positioned and you looking straight ahead.

Perhaps it was mind over matter but it did work for me. Does this make sense to you now?

Mauro
post #14 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 5:59 am

But probably in the high 60's by noon!

Quote:
Ok, Ok, so I envy you not having to need a battery tender. I was in Orlando in January and it was a tad freezing, as I recal...

Enjoy...
Cool mornings are normal in the winter, requiring a little heat from the seat and hand grips, but in an hour or two, it's time to turn them off and enjoy the sun..... which gets me back to having the seat selector switch on the wrong side of the seat! What a PITA..... (my pet peeve)

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:01 am

mr1150gs,
Just as long as it works for you, that's all that matters.

Congrats on the new bike!

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #16 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Quote:
I here good things about Max but do not have direct experience. Were you able to ride yours home? Great scenery in NH.

I am wondering if I should do all the oils and brake fluid for peace of mind...

Mauro

The only direct experience I have with MAX BMW is when I went to look at new bikes.

And unfortunately I was not able to ride it home. Both the seller and I live on ice and snow covered back roads. I had to trailer it home.

I did however make a sign for the back of the trailer. I had read about it on this forum. It said "I am taking my BMW for a ride ........ Harley style.

Tony
post #17 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Bought mine in late September. Kept it parked until I could get a safety course (30 years since I last rode). Passed the course in mid November in the cold and rain. I have clocked just short of 1,000 miles in December and January and so far in February(Western Washington state). As long as there is no ice and it is at least 36 degrees my wife and I ride.

I am almost afraid to ride when it gets warm and the streets are dry.
post #18 of 21 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
The bike is about two years old so it's probably do for a brake and clutch fluid flush.

BMW has updated the maintenance on brakes to be every 4 years and no longer 2 according to BMW of Denver... Check with your dealer.

If the oil looks good, and the fd fluid looks good, just ride it. The maintenance interval for both according to BMW is 12K not that most of us wait the long, put from what you are saying, sounds like you are good.
post #19 of 21 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 4:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
which gets me back to having the seat selector switch on the wrong side of the seat! What a PITA..... (my pet peeve)

Yeah, they had to invent cruise control so that you can take your hand off the right grip in order to work the switch.

Mauro

__________________________________________________ _____
"If at first you do not suceed... well, so much for skydiving."

06 K1200LT - Blue Baby
03 R1150GS - Yellowbird
post #20 of 21 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 5:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
The only direct experience I have with MAX BMW is when I went to look at new bikes.

And unfortunately I was not able to ride it home. Both the seller and I live on ice and snow covered back roads. I had to trailer it home.

I did however make a sign for the back of the trailer. I had read about it on this forum. It said "I am taking my BMW for a ride ........ Harley style.

Tony
I am thinking of getting a cube van to bring the baby home sooner but I have no experience in securing the beast and manouvering it up, and after down, the ramp. I know she is a hanful...

Mauro

06 K1200LT - Blue Baby
03 R1150GS - Yellowbird
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 5:23 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
BMW has updated the maintenance on brakes to be every 4 years and no longer 2 according to BMW of Denver... Check with your dealer.
Ditto on check with dealer as this only applies to those models that now have stainless steel lines vs. rubber. If you have rubber flex lines it is still two years.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in