09 K1200LT - Rumors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

09 K1200LT - Rumors

I was at the IMS in Chicago 02/08/09 and was talking with the service manager for one of the local BMW dealers. We were saying our hello's and one of the attendees was commenting on the k1200lt we were standing next to when he referred him to me since I owned one. After I gave my enthusiastic stamp of approval the BMW guy and I continued to discuss the LT. I asked him when the changes were made to the bike in its current form (2005) and then he lowered his voice and gave a quick look around. He told me BMW is planning a "complete review and redesign" of the LT. He wouldnt divulge details, but insisted the new LT will be as different as the K1100LT is to the K1200LT. I didnt push him further because he appeared as if an assasins bullet was coming for him any minute just for talking about it.

Let the speculation begin...

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:04 pm
BMW Guru

You should read this thread -

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31647

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Sounds pretty cloak 'n' dagger; maybe BMW would have to kill the guy if he told you anything...

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
I was at the IMS in Chicago 02/08/09 and was talking with the service manager for one of the local BMW dealers. We were saying our hello's and one of the attendees was commenting on the k1200lt we were standing next to when he referred him to me since I owned one. After I gave my enthusiastic stamp of approval the BMW guy and I continued to discuss the LT. I asked him when the changes were made to the bike in its current form (2005) and then he lowered his voice and gave a quick look around. He told me BMW is planning a "complete review and redesign" of the LT. He wouldnt divulge details, but insisted the new LT will be as different as the K1100LT is to the K1200LT. I didnt push him further because he appeared as if an assasins bullet was coming for him any minute just for talking about it.

Let the speculation begin...

Tom
That's a pretty generic and "old" secret especially from a dealer. There is a lot of published speculation in numerous bike magazines as well as this site. The latest "new" reference I've seen is in the latest issue of OTL stating the new LT will have a three cylinder inline Rotax engine. I don't put much weight behind that but there is very high speculation the new LT will be built in the US at Spartansburg. The main market for the LT is in the US and it would greatly help with currency issues. It makes a lot of sense and BMW already proved the concept by building the Z3 there.

Yes, the new LT will be different but don't hold your breath for it coming as a 2009 model. I hope they remember to build it with two wheels and an open top!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Last edited by Tallyho; Feb 10th, 2008 at 6:44 pm.
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 4:23 am

Funny you should say topless........................Make sure no one is looking over your shoulder.............

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 6:05 am

Can't believe I wanted a Quasar when I was a kid - seem to remember it had a 4 cylinder inline (upright) reliant engine (?)

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #7 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 7:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
That's a pretty generic and "old" secret especially from a dealer. There is a lot of published speculation in numerous bike magazines as well as this site. The latest "new" reference I've seen is in the latest issue of OTL stating the new LT will have a three cylinder inline Rotax engine. I don't put much weight behind that but there is very high speculation the new LT will be built in the US at Spartansburg. The main market for the LT is in the US and it would greatly help with currency issues. It makes a lot of sense and BMW already proved the concept by building the Z3 there.

Yes, the new LT will be different but don't hold your breath for it coming as a 2009 model. I hope they remember to build it with two wheels and an open top!
The only reason I posted is this particular person has never been one to talk like that before. In fact he usually shies away from such conversations and points out why no improvements are needed. Anyway Im sure we will see, I love my bike but it is long in the tooth from a design standpoint. Im not saying it needs changing, but I think it may attract more to the brand, which I think is a good thing. Maybe we wont have all these dealers closing down. Chicago now has two choices since Tag closed. Kinda ridiculous considering the population.

Tom
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 12:58 pm

My information is that we may see a new LT by 2011 ... but my source informed me that there is new Tourer on it's way that will be between the GT and the LT.

Edit: ....

I need to add that according to my information they will start assembling LT's again in March and it will most probably be the last batch. Production is expected to end by late June early July. I was strongly advised to make sure my order for a 2008 model goes in before end of March or I will not get one. This advice did not come from a Sales person.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in