Need procedure for removing and replacing the COMPLETE heated grip Assembly - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Need procedure for removing and replacing the COMPLETE heated grip Assembly

It wasnt clear in my prior posting...........and I got no responses (at least not related to what I needed).

I have an LT with NO grip assembly or heating element at all on the left handlebar tube......just the bare tube with the heating element wire hanging out............I bought it this way.

On the right / throttle side I have a working heated grip with chrome trim on the inside edge and bar end.

I need to either find a matching left side chrome trimmed heated grip assembly .........OR............need BOTH left and right Grips without chrome trim.

But,.........before I can do anything.....I will need to know how to remove the throttle side grip assembly........and........how to install both the left and right assemblies.

Brian in Austin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:04 pm

I'm still not clear on what you are dealing with exactly, a picture would probably help.

As far as removing the heated grips the grips themselves come of pretty easy,
it's the wiring that gets labor intensive,
the wires are plugged in under the stingray,
which means removing both sides of the tupperware and the handlebar covers
then loosening the stingray cover just to unplug the wires

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 7 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Ive tried to upload pics twice before posting and after........not working. Simple really. No heated grip assembly.............just the bare handlebar tube beyond the switchgear.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 7:27 pm
KIC

When uploading pictures you have to make sure the size is smaller than what it comes from the camera. Open the picture in Microsoft picture manager or similar ( right click on picture for options under "open with")

Change size to under 1000 X ###. example; my picture might download from camera at 3072 x 2304. I open it with a picture manager, click on picture from top pull down menu and go to resize. If you go with a percent ratio option just downsize it to under 1000. Save it and then upload it to your post. Good luck.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Brian,

I have not removed the throttle side, but I have replaced the entire heated grip on the clutch side. It is held on by 2 Phillips head screws....one on top and one on the bottom. In order to see them, the rubber has to be folded back slightly. The worst part of the job is getting at the wiring connector. I did the job in conjunction with a 12k service while I had the tank off. The wire runs through the handlebar tube and then to the connector in front of and slightly to the left of the tank. This connector is a nylon type and extremely difficult to remove and replace the wires. Both grip sides go into the one connector. By the time I finished, I ended up replacing the whole thing with an easier style from the local electronics shop.

I used stainless safety wire attached to the existing wiring as I pulled the old wiring through the bars, so that I could easily feed the new wires back forward.

Hope that helps,

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestrider
Ive tried to upload pics twice before posting and after........not working. Simple really. No heated grip assembly.............just the bare handlebar tube beyond the switchgear.
The left side heated grip is basically a sleeve with a rubber handgrip on it,
held in by two phillips screws just under the " edge of the "inside" edge of the rubber.
The right side has the throttle cables attached and (going from memory)
there is a phillips screw underneath the plastic switch cover that holds that in place.
does that help?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 7 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
The left side heated grip is basically a sleeve with a rubber handgrip on it,
held in by two phillips screws just under the " edge of the "inside" edge of the rubber.
The right side has the throttle cables attached and (going from memory)
there is a phillips screw underneath the plastic switch cover that holds that in place.
does that help?
Hans - I managed to send him an e-mail scan of the instructions for both handlebar grip R&R. I heard he got the left side ok, butt the right side scanned upside down, so he's prolly wonderin' whazzup with that!!

Sure sounds like that boy needs a shop manual - a Clymers or a legit OEM. I'm trying to figger out what he bought, in what condition?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in