Help with handle bar cover ! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 2:59 pm Thread Starter
mos

Help with handle bar cover !

I am removing all the plastic on my 05 KLT to install Ohlins. I got 3 of the 4 screws out of the handle bar covers { one side removed }. The last screw will not come out . Some how the torx is striped. I tried a screw extractor and that broke off. What do I do now ? If I brake the cover off where can I get a used one ? Or is there another way ?
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Mike, the two screws underneath the bars hold the upper half on....once you remove it....there are two screws that go through metal tabs to hold on the lower cover.

I had one of the brass "nuts" come loose on mine.....the screw would turn.....but not come out.........because the "nut" was spinning as well....

I just put some E6000 adhesive on the round knurled brass "nut" and pushed it into the hole in the plastic bar cover where it belonged.......after it dryed.....all is good again.

Which screw is messed up?

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 4:24 pm Thread Starter
mos

The screw on the left handle bar cover the one closest to the key. It is on the under side of the cover .

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 4:31 pm

I would be willing to bet that you have the same thing going on that I did. If you have the other screw out ....you should be able to give the upper cover a tug upwards and it should come off leaving behind the screw and brass"nut" that has come loose from the upper plastic bar cover. once you have the upper cover off,...you should be able to separate the brass "nut" and the screw that you have boogered up....probably just using your fingers or some pliers. Then get a new screw and using some E6000 adhesive....glue the brass "nut" back into the upper bar cover.

Let me know how this goes.

Brian in Austin

post #5 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 5:22 pm

As Brian says, the brass insert should come out if it's spinning. If you can still turn the screw try turning it while using a putty knife to gently spread the cover halves. If you do end up braking the cover they aren't all that expensive new and beemerboneyard or one of the other salvage yards usually have used ones fairly cheap.
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos
I am removing all the plastic on my 05 KLT to install Ohlins. I got 3 of the 4 screws out of the handle bar covers { one side removed }. The last screw will not come out . Some how the torx is striped. I tried a screw extractor and that broke off. What do I do now ? If I brake the cover off where can I get a used one ? Or is there another way ?
Mike
Torx?

The handlebar cover screws on both my '00 and '05 LT's were allen head screws.

Bruce Hodges
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:26 pm

+1 for Allen Head screws

post #8 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 7:32 pm

I agree, my 2005 has allen head screws on the handle covers.

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #9 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 9:04 pm
KIC

+1 my 2000 has allen heads. (Since we are keeping score)

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Help with handle bar cover

My 99 has allen screws - just had it off last week.
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 1:19 am

02' does also, just had to say since I had mine off for the first time.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 3:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
02' does also, just had to say since I had mine off for the first time.
AOL

2000 LT.

Just pussin' through.
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 6:09 am Thread Starter
mos

That is interesting . I used torx to take the other 3 out and checked it with the torx once out . I will take a closer look at it tonight. The boneyard will sell only the complete set of plastic for $105.
Mike
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:34 pm

It's not unusual to get away with using a Torx on an allen however it doesn't take much to spin the tool in the fastener. Try again with an allen, you may need to tap the wrench into the fastener if you messed up the head but it should work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in