Pity partie's over - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Pity partie's over

Well the sun came out and the snow melted, so off we went. Got about 80 miles in on some twisty roads, and now I have some questions. When I got my bike (Golden Dragon's used '01), it had peg lowers which I managed to drag first time out. I removed those and replaced the lowered Corbin seat with a stock one. We got out and pushed the bike a bit, but I'm still dragging pegs on the right side and kick stand on the left. Is this normal? Am I expecting too much? Or is there anything I can do, short of Olin's suspension, to get it to handle better? I'm going to play with the spring pre-set some, and I have the rebound dialed up just short of max. Anything else?
I'll give you this: the bike flat moves for a big ol' boat. I'm just having trouble getting used to running at higher RPMs. On my HD Softtail, 3,500 is screaming, and I'm finding that this bike is just beginning to come to life there.
Yes, the BMW has more comfort, better acceleration, more technology, nice handling, quieter etc. etc., but you can't deny that my Harley has more...

wait for it....

chrome!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Talking

Not much you can do. most of drag all sorts of things. I have the rear shock adjusted almost alll the way it helps a liitle. I use to race and if your turn quicker you wont drag has much. Not speed im talking steering speed.
If you have the hyperpro steering dampner it helps the wiggles. Now we both have to remember that this is a 900 lb beauty. I can shake the front by turning too fast and hard. At 50 I guess I keep forgettng the size.
Maybe I should get a k1200 to play with.
Hope, hope.
I dont have Olhins either. Sigh.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 1:02 pm

I find this kind of funny! You're complaining about the LT dragging coming from a softail?

The only thing you can do is if you don't have resistance on the preload knob all the way to minimum, then you need to add oil to it. It will help a lot if it is low.

I would trade someone for regular pegs if you aren't real tall, and ride a lot in corners.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Hate to change the subject :(

I'm rebuilding my 99' K1200LT and I'm operating 3 sets of lamps from the handlbars. Two sets of PIAAS, and a homemade set of HIDS. I really want to hear from owners who have installed thumbswitches on the handlebars to learn of their experience of grounding and using the lamps being installed!
TIA, Pete
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

new problem

Anyone run into this? I put the passenger peg lowers back on (wife's long legs), and find that the left side hits the center stand - the part you use to step on. Can I move that? Or heat and bend it forward? Or even cut it and reweld it out of the way?

The other thing I did while I was in there, was to cut off part of the rubber bumpers that both side and center stands rest on. Thought I might get just a smidge more lean angle.

[You're complaining about the LT dragging coming from a softail

Believe it or not, my Deuce will out corner this bike hands down. Did cost a couple of bucks to get it that way, but it'll do it.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 3:35 pm

There is no deuce in this world that will out corner an LT. Sounds like you need more oil or new shocks...
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Remember that most of us run higher air pressure than "normal", AND, when your tires ware, you sit closer to the ground.

The next thing to start dragging in the Tupperware.

Bob
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Hang a toe -

and hang off!

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in