Teardown surprise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 8:30 am Thread Starter
BDC

Teardown surprise

The continuing saga of the main seal.

Transmission removed today. Removed 7 screws holding transmission to engine. It wouldn't budge. I used a plastic mallet to loosen the unit but I had to whack it far harder than I liked. The problem was a rusty locating dowel. I'll clean that up and copper grease it before re-assembly.

Two of the fixing screws were coated in fresh transmission fluid. The input shaft seal has a substantial leak. See photo.

I experienced no clutch slip so no fluid found its way onto the clutch.

The rubber O ring was in good condition and still flexible. The engine main seal shows no signs of leaking however the telltale sign of oil staining between the intermediate housing and engine is there. It was this that alerted me to the seal leak in the first place. I do not feel the transmission fluid is responsible for the staining in this location but I am sure it caused the staining at the transmission /bellhousing join. I'll replace the seal as a precaution.

I have been deliberately keeping the engine oil on the low side which seems to have prevented further leaking.

The photo shows oil running from the main shaft. This has only occurred because of removal of the clutch housing and oil seal ring and the fact that the engine is tilted downwards towards the rear.

The clutch friction plate is nearly down to the rivets at 20,000 miles so I'll replace that. I feel this is down to riding technique and not an inherent fault with the clutch.

So its time to order my spares to include clutch plate, main and transmission seals and slave cylinder.

I'll provide another update in a week or two.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	16543   Click image for larger version

Name:	seal1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	16544  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 8:59 am

Tear down surprise

Wow Chris,

aren't you the lucky one--being so knowledgeable and mechanicaly inclined to do this work, I would head to the nearest dealer and pay a couple thousend dollars to repair. Good luck to you!

Les
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 9:35 am

I would definitely replace that O-ring, flexible, or not. I don't know when their sell by date expires, but when they go, they're gonesville. Well, unless you want to tear it down again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 10:35 am

change ALL the seals and the o-ring while there, double check your depth of the original seals and replace the new ones to the same depth . If you have not done it yet, drill your weephole in your clutch housing and by your slave cylinder. Are you going to replace the clutch with a new one?
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 11:37 am Thread Starter
BDC

Hi Guys

I will replace all seals plus O ring.

On closer inspection the clutch friction plate still has plenty of life. There was a build up of compacted clutch dust on the rivets which made them appear closer to the surface than they actually were. So I may not replace the clutch, I'll give it some more thought. The clutch worked normally before teardown - no slipping.

I am puzzled as to why the input shaft seal should fail so miserably at such a low mileage. There is no discernable play on the shaft. I'll inspect more closely when I remove the seal to look for scoring or other damage.

Les - thanks for your comments. The only way I've been able to cope is to break the job down into bite size chunks and set myself a target each time I visit my garage. Each acomplished task is a little reward in itself. If I'm not enjoying myself I pack up and go back later. A couple of hours here and there soon shows results. I try not to think too far ahead as such a big job can seem a bit daunting.

I like to do my own wrenching - nobody cares more about my bike and I can take the time to do it properly.

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in