I want a BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 8:35 pm Thread Starter

I want a BMW

Hello all , I found this forum looking for info on BMWs. I have had severa; different motorcycles but never a BMW and have been thinking about getting one for years. Its getting close to the time to buy. I hope you all will bear with me while I ask questions. I think I want a 1200LT as I have been riding a HD Ultra for the last 8 years and cant think of not having all my gear with me all the time. I have also gotten used to the music. Is there a year that has proven over time to be less problematic? What about maintenance what needs to be done? Whats the deal with the drive shaft seals and bearings that I need to be aware of? If you have any advice It would be appreciated Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobV101
Hello all , I found this forum looking for info on BMWs. I have had severa; different motorcycles but never a BMW and have been thinking about getting one for years. Its getting close to the time to buy. I hope you all will bear with me while I ask questions. I think I want a 1200LT as I have been riding a HD Ultra for the last 8 years and cant think of not having all my gear with me all the time. I have also gotten used to the music. Is there a year that has proven over time to be less problematic? What about maintenance what needs to be done? Whats the deal with the drive shaft seals and bearings that I need to be aware of? If you have any advice It would be appreciated Thanks

Hi,

Glad to hear you want a BMW. I have a 2000 K1200LT with 58000 miles for sale with many extras included: AutoComm, bike to bike, tank bag, PIAA 1100's, Russell Seats and BMW heated seats. Many other extras as well. I will not be stripping it down to piece mill it out. A great bike that runs great. Excellent condition. Please PM me or visit the classifieds to see information my bike. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have . I am the original owner and because of knee surgery, I will not be riding any more in near future. If interested you can call me at 408-857-1196.

Thanks,

OKU

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Come on aboard.

Do yourself a favor and get a k1200 lt. There is nothing like riding one. Wouldn't ride anything else again unless it is a new one. the only draw back is that it is very expensive to fix if anything goes wrong,and it will.it is still worth it.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:30 pm
KIC

If you read through these threads, you will find alot of information about the 1200LT. Those on here love our LT's. You will read about a few problems with the LT, but you can't find a better resource to do your own repairs and maintenance.

I have a 2000 K1200LT and for two up riding there ain't no better.

Welcome and remember:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Brain4.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	16537  

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:28 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobV101
Hi there, and welcome to the asylum. The LTs have gotten more refined over the years. No particular year is specifically problematic, and having owned a 99, 02 and 05, each first years for major changes, I have a good sampling of what would be considered the troublesome years. Maintenance needs to be done at the regular intervals - 6k is mainly an oil change and checking things out, 12k is motor and tranny oil, air and fuel filter, check the valves and adjust if needed (not usually necessary), and a few other things. Flush the brake and clutch fluild every year and the radiator every 2 and you'll be good to go. My only advice would be to buy one!

And on the self serving side , I happen to have a loaded 05 LT I'm going to sell. Send me a PM if you want some more info.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 7 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 9:31 am

Be Vewry Quiet

I went to Hickory NC to look at some choppers a few years ago on a fully loaded Ultra Classic complete with my wife on the back. We were offered a test ride on an LT and to make a long story short we rode home on an 03 and since have traded up for a 2005 LT. The comfort and further protection has extended my riding season a full month in the fall as well as in the spring. I have no regrets and the comraderie in the BMW community is equal to that of the HD community which as you well know is outstanding. One of the toughest adjustments is how whisper quiet the LT is.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 11:14 am

i have ridden pretty much every type of bike but a BMW until last year when i bought a new 1200LT.........

the only thing i kept asking myself as i rode it was....

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG????????????

every ride can give you problems (although mine has yet to hiccup) but this is one sweet ride. and if you are riding two up? you SO will love you for it!!

2007 K1200LT BLACK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in