Thank You All - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Thank You All

Hi Everyone, Just saying Hello to you all, and thank you for all the info you have posted to help other owners out there.
I live in North Wales in the UK. I bought my BMW last December, a 2000 K1200LT, only managed to do 500miles as yet because of British weather,
I’m not just a nice weather rider, just would not like to tempt fate in bad weather with a new bike,
I still get a bit of a wobble at slow to stop speeds but we’re getting on just fine considering my trade in was a 04 YZF-R1. Which I covered a LOT of miles on, including Germany, Italy and my best yet , a charity run from north Wales to Madrid and back in 48hrs with 3 other biker friends (yes over 2500miles in 48hrs) for the Wales air ambulance, This was filmed by 483Media, and made into a DVD which you can find on www.483mediapro.com under cinema/bernabeu and back. Please have a look and have a guess which one is me?
My wife and I are looking forward to covering a lot of miles on the KLT and maybe getting to meet some of you, we love touring on the bike and the KLT must be one of the best out there, that’s why we bought it,
Thanks for reading this and if there is anything I could do to help anyone, please ask,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 6:03 pm

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIce...

And welcome!

Congrats on the bike - you're gonna love it. My other bike is a ZX-12R and I find them equally as fun - in much different ways.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 6:17 pm
cws

Garage
G'day Bear!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiker
And welcome!

Congrats on the bike - you're gonna love it. My other bike is a ZX-12R and I find them equally as fun - in much different ways.

Best of all worlds, sports...tourer.....and LA whether
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

G'day CWS. How's life in Sydney? its cold here, but its dry just now, so maybe i'll get on the bike 2morrow.
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 6:46 pm
cws

Garage
pissing down at the moment... about 19C on Sat morning... its been like this for a couple of weeks... we are out of our dry spell well and truly!

Still doesn't stop the commute into the city each morning though... my daily ride. Just stuffs up the weekend rides, but there's too much work to do at home for that at the moment anyway

cheers mate, enjoy your riding

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear-KLT
. . . and my best yet , a charity run from north Wales to Madrid and back in 48hrs with 3 other biker friends (yes over 2500miles in 48hrs) for the Wales air ambulance,
Hi Carl, welcome to the forum. If you're into raising money for the Air Ambulance, check out this forum which I'm involved with - this year, in addition to the Boundary 500 run, we're organising a 3000 mile marathon round the coast of Britain. If you're interested, you can start and finish in Wales.

http://www.boundary500.co.uk/marathon.html

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #8 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

There is always too much work at home!! that might be down to the fact that id rather ride my bike than do the work, thankfully i have a very understanding wife...
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Hi Carl, and welcome!

Since you have covered the South part of Europe, why don't you ask your wife if she would like the North for change.

Check this out:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29472

We are 90 % booked already but if you don't wait for too long we still have nice (sauna equipped) cottages availabe for accommodation. And there you could get a chance to meet some 60 -80 LT'ers at the same time. Also many UK riders if you don't get to meet them elsewhere...

Best regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #10 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 1:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Welcome, Carl. After that R1, you and your lady are gonna love the LT, especially in that typical Welsh weather. I lived outside Newport for ~4 years, and I never left the house unless I was wearing full waterproof gear.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 2:53 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Smiles and Smiles of Miles

Hi Carl, as they say, welcome to the nut house. Best site for LT wisdom, and some really great folks too. We were in Wales July - August last year; fantastic rides, you're very lucky. The LT will spoil both of you, and bring miles of smiles as they say. Enjoy it all, the English weather will have to improve soon.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Hi Carl, and welcome!

Since you have covered the South part of Europe, why don't you ask your wife if she would like the North for change.

Check this out:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29472

Best regards
Sounds like a plan... looking into it to see what i can sort out.

BUT i have a fear of hights.. including high bridges, thats why i dont fly, is there a route that avoids high bridges?
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear-KLT
Sounds like a plan... looking into it to see what i can sort out.

BUT i have a fear of hights.. including high bridges, thats why i dont fly, is there a route that avoids high bridges?
Carl,

If you take a ferry from UK to Norway and ride through Norway and Sweden and then again take a ferry to Finland I can assure that you will not encounter any high bridges in Sweden or Finland.
However, you could check from our Norwegian friends (many of them also coming to BMWKLTIBMIJOF...) the situation in Norway. I am not so familiar with those routes. I know that they have mountains in Norway as well as great rides but would there be high bridges on the route to Sweden, "paalao" and his friends would be glad to assist.

Best regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in