Clutch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

Clutch

My clutch stated slipping. The bike has less than 13k on the clock. I assumed that the slave cylinder was bad on maybe the rear main. The dealer told me that the clutch was completely burned up. And it is not the way I ride. Almost all the miles are highway miles. When the bike was new, I took it to the dealer complaining of a slipping clutch. The dealer told me "that's the way they run." Now I'm looking at almost 1K in repairs.

Has anyone had a clutch failure like this and if you did how did you handle the situation?

Galloway11
2005 Yellow KLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Who is saying it is not the way you ride, the dealer or you?? If it is the dealer, what is the dealer saying is the cause.

If it is you, how can you justify that statement? Is the dealer saying that the clutch is slipping because of contamination, or has he not taken it apart to know what the cause was??
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Yep...we need the answers to a few questions. I am sure that due to frustrations, your first post is a bit confusing.

1. Has the bike been disassembled by the shop/someone?

2. Did you get to see the parts? I would demand to see them--at least the clutch plate. You want to see if it is simply dry and worn out or saturated with any type of fluid. Compare it with a new one to see any difference.

3. If you can, get some pics of the parts while you are there and then post them. That'll help us to help you with a few more concrete suggestions.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

The dealer took it apart and said the clutch was dry but worn out. I think I will take a look at the parts for myself and i will take some pictures. thanks

Galloway11
2005 Yellow KLT
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 6:20 pm
cws

Garage
Dealer warrantied mine at around 16000km, worn out....
They DONT run like that, so if you're still under warranty push em a litle harder...
do you have a record of the early complaint from a service statement or anything, that might help

good luck

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 8:28 am

Question

WHAT? Worn out but dry? I and some others are well near 100000 miles with the same clutch. Only ones I have heard about is because of the slave leaking. I think you need a new dealer.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

I went to the dealer today and looked at the clutch It was dry and worn out. I've been riding for over 35 years and have never prematurely worn a clutch. My 1990 Ford truck has over 165k on the original clutch and counting. My dealer has no explanation. I suspect a bad pressure plate which allowed the clutch to slip imperceptibly under highway speeds.

Thoughts

Galloway11
2005 Yellow KLT
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloway11
I went to the dealer today and looked at the clutch It was dry and worn out. I've been riding for over 35 years and have never prematurely worn a clutch. My 1990 Ford truck has over 165k on the original clutch and counting. My dealer has no explanation. I suspect a bad pressure plate which allowed the clutch to slip imperceptibly under highway speeds.

Thoughts
Did it "look" worn out or did they/you measure the thickness?

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

It was worn out, well into the rivets. This is not the first worn clutch I've seen.

Galloway11
2005 Yellow KLT
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 7:06 am

No insult intended. I just dont really trust dealers, cars or bikes. There are too many that just what the almighty dollar.
And I'm a mechanic, go figure.
Peace to all.

Zeke

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 12:54 pm

There are a few of us here who have had clutches "burn up" early. Mine had 15,000 miles when it started slipping. It was out of warranty and no amount of arguing on my part would get BMW to help with the cost of repair. They said it was my "riding style" that caused the problem.
Good luck with yours.

Steve
'04 LT
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 4:39 am
MrG

Clutch Slipping

I experienced clutch slipping after 18k miles on my 2001 LT only last year, BMW wanted 1500 to replace the clutch, plus it was due for a service, which would've been extra . . . it was a crossroads for me, i had, had the LT for 3 years and thought it may be an opportunity to replace it with something different, I had a test ride on a Pan European and an FJR1300, both times I got back on my LT and thought no way, there is just no comparison . . . so I bit the bullet, went to an independent BMW mechanic near Chorley, Lancashire, a guy called Roy Gardner, who I would recommend by the way, he took the clutch apart, diagnosied the slipping as a bent push rod, but seeing as though he had the clutch in bits I had him replace it anyway, and including an 18k service he charged me just a little over 700. Bike still runs like a dream.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in