trailer bike in winter-any coating - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Question trailer bike in winter-any coating

I am picking up my k1200lt next week. It is winter in the east with snow and salt covered roads. I am also dropping off my trade in, over all a 700 mile round trip. Is there anything I can get within the next few days to coat the two bikes. Oil,polish,grease,spray on would be the best. I have to be able to get it at a Autozone or pepboys or Honda shop because of the time. thanks Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:51 am

Hi
You could try a product called ACF50. (Aircraft formula) It comes in gallons with a spray bottle or in aeresol cans. Expensive but worth every penny.
It's designed to protect aircraft whilst flying over salt water and is now advertised as doing an excellent job on motorcycles as well.
I can vouch for this product, having used it on my motorcycles for the last 4 years through some very harsh Scottish winters when tons of salt is used on our roads. .
You can spray it on electrics, alloy, steel or plastic Etc. and one coating can last up to two years without washing off, unless you use a pressure wash then you might need to apply more often. Brilliant product and well recommended. Any corrosion already present will be stopped dead in it's tracks.

Main benefits here http://www.corrosion-control.com/acf50.html
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 9:28 am

Enclosed Trailer

One idea is too ask around on the motorcycle dealers in your area, BMW or non BMW if they have enclosed trailers for rent. Your UHAul or Ryder dealer might also have it, good luck there!!. I had a similar situation, althought I am in GA, the bike I purchase was outside of Boston. I was able to secure/rent a enclosed motorcycle trailer for $100 (3 days). Bike was as clean when it got home as it was when I picked it up.

Just an idea to consider.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Fill out your profile.

I caught in your post your located on the East Coast - if it were Mid-West I would have hauled it for you both ways (you cover gas). There maybe someone in the east willing to do the same.

another option is to go to a place that winterizes boats and get some of the poly they use for boat storage.

Or you could go to Office Depot and get a roll of stretch film to wrap the bike with.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

I ordered two cans of the acf50-looks like good stuff. thanks Jim
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 10th, 2005, 5:10 am Thread Starter

Trailer in salty road conditins, followup. I followed all the advice and ordered a enclosed uhaul trailer, only cost 100.00 for the trip. They will now stay clean. thanks Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in