2005 K1200LT Price? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Talking 2005 K1200LT Price?

I am buying a 2005 K1200LT. It has 7,900 miles. All stock except for 6 disc changer, highway pegs and new Zumo Navigation. Service records up to date. No wrecks, but was laid down so it has a 1 inch scratch on saddlebag and chrome saddlebag liner. This is from a BMW dealer and it still has mfg. warranty well in to 09. Is this a fair price because Im early enough to stop the purchase if not. Buying from a dealer is important to me. Thanks for any opinions. Buying at 14.9K

Last edited by hifiman; Feb 6th, 2008 at 6:50 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 6:46 pm

?? What price

Many '05s have been sold in the $13-14K range in perfect condition.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 6:59 pm

14.9K is a bit high, but then again you are buying from a dealer so expect to pay a bit more. The Zumo itself is a nice and pricey add-on. The scratches are a negative, and for the asking price the dealer should replace the parts.
Warranty until 2009 sounds like a 2 year extended warranty, definitely a plus but be sure to check what is excluded (i.e. ABS, etc...).
There is always wiggle room, so don't just take the dealer asking rice as the final price. I would have them replaced the scratched parts and still ask them to lower to 14K.
Does the bike have a com system? That too would have an effect on the price.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

The dealer says it has mfg warranty until 05/09. It is light yellow metallic (Gold). No com. I have already sent a deposit hold check which if they do not bend a little I will demand back. I know some people have come across great deals, but am interested more if I am paying way to much? I am financing.
post #5 of 29 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Not too bad considering.

I bought mine from a private party a year age with 39K. Out of warranty with Jpegs, remote locks + alarms, 6 CD, good condition. I paid $11.5 for it.

OK I got a cheaper price, but NO warranty and more miles.

Your paying (over my "deal") $4,400.00 "extra" for the 32K less and warranty and the dealer ability to fix it.

If it were me (and of course I'm spending your $$), I would get them to do the 12K maintenance (about $1200.00 if you have them do it) then negotiate "down" a grand or so. Alternatively, If I was "crafty", I may have them provide a "Good" extended warranty and pay for the 12K service (either now or through a later credit).

Good luck--you are in the ballpark, keep in mind it's WINTER (at least somewhere).

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #6 of 29 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
The dealer says it has mfg warranty until 05/09. It is light yellow metallic (Gold). No com. I have already sent a deposit hold check which if they do not bend a little I will demand back. I know some people have come across great deals, but am interested more if I am paying way to much? I am financing.
I bought the same color with the same damage, best color, good choice. Get them to change out the damaged chrome strip(plastic); it's a $130 part. Bought my 05 for $14.3 last April with 6.5k on the ODO. Private party so cheaper and it did have an Autocom(no headsets however).

I would expect they would bend a bit; it's a slow sales time of the year. Warranty is good on all those for 4 years.

Good luck,

Bruce
post #7 of 29 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:51 pm

That's low mileage!

I think that's a good price.... of course, free is best.

You will find that you'll get enough (s)miles out of your investment...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 29 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:36 pm

Not too bad

I traded a 2003 for an 05 and am ecstatic. A little more umph, alot more headlight, and the centerstand is the cats ass. The price is on the high side for a bike with even minor scratches but then the trade off is the low miles that you are buying. I agree with the other replies, barter for goodies and a little lower price. If I had to guess, at that price, the dealer is clearing about a grand on the deal which is high for a used sled. Keep working on them and good luck.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #9 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:34 am

Purchased from private party an 05 LT w/7400 miles w/o zumo and pegs for $12K. Never dropped and all service records.
post #10 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 5:37 am

Price? what price

Arn't you guys lucky to live in the USA. My 2005 LT with 12000KM ( 8000 miles), perfect condition with 6 stack and nothing else - $25000.00 ozzie dollars 6 months ago.
Current exchange rate $1aud= .90c. us.
I think I will come over there.
post #11 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 6:04 am Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone. I feel better now but will neg. the price a little and have asked them to replace the damaged parts. They are very minor. I love the bike and the color. I now have to wait 3 weeks before I can travel down south to pick it up. This is going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life!
Thanks again for everybodys input.
post #12 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
If it were me (and of course I'm spending your $$), I would get them to do the 12K maintenance (about $1200.00 if you have them do it) then negotiate "down" a grand or so. Alternatively, If I was "crafty", I may have them provide a "Good" extended warranty and pay for the 12K service (either now or through a later credit). Joe
$1,200.00 for the 12000 mile service?????? I just had mine done today at Grand Rapids BMW. I had all the tupperware off of the bike and the service cost me $123.87. You might want to look for another dealer to do your service.

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #13 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Heck, if you will provide the materials and a place to do the work, I'll come do the service on your bike for $1,000.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Sorry cfell!!!!! I'm closer and will do it for $900. .......Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #15 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick
$1,200.00 for the 12000 mile service?????? I just had mine done today at Grand Rapids BMW. I had all the tupperware off of the bike and the service cost me $123.87. You might want to look for another dealer to do your service.
$123.87 barely covers the cost of filters and fluids...
Me thinks your dealer probably forgot to charge for labor...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 29 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
.......have asked them to replace the damaged parts. .
Don't worry too much about the damaged parts. WHEN you drop it, they will end up the same anyway. ;-)

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #17 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 4:26 pm

When you talk to the dealer ask them if they sell extended warrantys if they do have them throw one in for their cost. I just got a Pinnicle 4yr that covers ABS for just under $1200 the dealer pays around $450 for these. I bought a KTM 950 and they gave me a 5yr no deduct (Western General) for their cost plus $50 and I paid $500 for it. Like others have said also have them include the 12K service, get all you can. I have an 05' and love it, to bad yours is the slower color! (just kidding)

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #18 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Can I find a extended warranty for my 02'? Only 3600 miles on it.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #19 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 4:56 pm

.. you win...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Sorry cfell!!!!! I'm closer and will do it for $900. .......Pete
You win, Pete! =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Deposit

Let me understand this now..

You went to a dealer, put down a deposit before you negotiated the price that you will pay??? I am sure that the dealer is under the impression that you agree to his terms and that is why you gave him the deposit.

I don't think so.... When you put a deposit down on a bike, you are doing this because you have already negotiated terms and this money is provided in good faith to take the bike off the market because you have accepted the terms. If you were not happy with the terms, why would you put down a deposit????

The price seems a bit high, but I doubt the dealer will renegotiate.
post #21 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all. To the last reply- Im buying this 500 miles away but bought my CLC from him and he is great to deal with.
He has lowered the price for me. Selling me the extended warranty at cost and replacing the damaged parts or fixing them. So he did reneg. the deal. Its now agreed on and I am an excited happy camper. Thanks to all.
post #22 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Ok... Good for you.. That is quite rare.. You have a relationship with him already and that makes it a whole lot easier to deal with him.

Good luck with your new bike.
post #23 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick
I have to agree you likely did not pay any labor. I did my 12K and spent $125 on 6 intake bucket shims. Fluids plus filters and LABOR-HOLY COW they are expensive. I wanted the dealer to do the brake flush and computer check for my 24K since I already did the rest. They wanted $400 just for the annual brake service. They were also very rude about the servicing I had already done and did not want to address warranty issues since they had not been doing the maintenance. Unfortunatley for me they are the only dealership close and they are 1.5 hours away. But their service dept. charges more than any dealership I have delt with-Motorcyle or auto. Give true meaning to the term Stealership.
post #24 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johkar
Arn't you guys lucky to live in the USA. My 2005 LT with 12000KM ( 8000 miles), perfect condition with 6 stack and nothing else - $25000.00 ozzie dollars 6 months ago.
Current exchange rate $1aud= .90c. us.
I think I will come over there.
I don't think the USA guys are lucky to live there. I would would prefer to be able to ride all year round in great weather in Auz, and not like most of USA have the snow, tornados, etc and cannot ride.

Rather pay the additional amount of $25000 and live here in the beautiful country.

Graham

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
post #25 of 29 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 7:27 am

Graham,

While I think Australia is a beautiful and fascinating continent, there are many, many areas of the US that we can ride year round with no problems. I would invite you to come to the states and rent a motorcycle and ride to the Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park, Big Sur country of California, the New England Coast or any of the thousands of beautiful and wonderful places we have here.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #26 of 29 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethy
I have to agree you likely did not pay any labor. I did my 12K and spent $125 on 6 intake bucket shims. Fluids plus filters and LABOR-HOLY COW they are expensive. I wanted the dealer to do the brake flush and computer check for my 24K since I already did the rest. They wanted $400 just for the annual brake service. They were also very rude about the servicing I had already done and did not want to address warranty issues since they had not been doing the maintenance. Unfortunatley for me they are the only dealership close and they are 1.5 hours away. But their service dept. charges more than any dealership I have delt with-Motorcyle or auto. Give true meaning to the term Stealership.
I don't understand how a dealership can turn down doing warranty work.. They get paid for it. Are you saying they are claiming that the warranty is voided because they didn't do the service??
post #27 of 29 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Re: 2005 K1200LT Price?

I think the price is a bit out of line, I just bought a 2007 with 1465 miles on it for under 17K, and it has every option on it. This was purchased from a dealer and has the balance (27 months) of the original factory warranty on it.

Just my opinion. Best of luck! You will certainly enjoy the ride.
post #28 of 29 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscpujock
I think the price is a bit out of line, I just bought a 2007 with 1465 miles on it for under 17K, and it has every option on it. This was purchased from a dealer and has the balance (27 months) of the original factory warranty on it.

Just my opinion. Best of luck! You will certainly enjoy the ride.
Buying now... with the "riding season" almost over in much of the USA, I'd say both prices are good... even tho he bought his back in Feb.

Welcome aboard!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #29 of 29 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:36 am

I just put money down on an '05 W/32,000 miles and a bunch of farkles for $11,400. Also added an extended 3 year warranty for another $1,195, fall/early winter is certainly the best time to buy for a good deal.

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in