Past history on my LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Past history on my LT?

In the book that came with my LT that I just bought, it lists its first 2 scheduled services that were done. The bike has 16000 miles on her and I was just wondering if there was any way to find out if any other services or recalls were done . Maybe through a BMW data bank or somthing of that nature.
Thanks all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 4:32 pm

I gave the a couple of dealers my VIN# and they looked up the service records and any recalls that were done on her.
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That sounds close. 1st is the 600 mile then the 2nd is at 6K no more than a look over and oil change engine. Then the first major is the 12K where oil, rear drive oil, air filter, plugs and a valve inspection, followed by another oil change at 18K. Depending on the age of the bike the brake and clutch fluids should be changed on an annual. Tranny fluid every two years. This is all by the book.

Many of us do our own service but if it was done by a dealer - your local dealer can look it up by VIN # and pull the history.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:36 am

Re: Past history on my LT?

So past dealers are cool about this, or is all the data in a central database?
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:47 am

Re: Past history on my LT? -> BMW contact

You can call BMW North America at 800-831-1117 and find out if any recalls are still outstanding (also, it's good to register your name with them, so that you can get future notices).

Service entries in the booklet are unreliable because your previous owner may have done a lot himself - and a good job at that. No cute stamp in the booklet, though.

Remember, we BMW owners are a crazy lot: we expect previous owners to have all service by the dealer, well documented, but we want to save money ourselves by doing all maintenance at home. Go figure...

Here is my take: I base my used-bike purchase on how I feel / what I know about its past history - and thus expect that most service was up to date until about 1/2 year ago.

On the other hand, I fully expect that the most recent service is neglected: would you do big maintenance intending to sell your bike soon? Be realistic.

So, when I get a used machine (I never bought a new one, yet), I immediately do basic maintenance: oil, FD, trans, brake fluid, coolant, etc..., all filters. Depending how skilled you are, that is about two weekend days. Ripping apart the Tupperware also lets you find out the real shape of the bike and learn about assembly - a good idea.

Then, at leisure, I'd do recommended service items scheduled for last pending interval - in your case that would be 12K, I believe. At such low mileage, there should be not much left after you did the fluids and filters. All that can be done by you.

That's it. Ride away. Have fun. Don't worry. Don't forget to change FD fluid with every oil change.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Re: Past history on my LT?

BMW dealers can run a DCS report. It will only show the items that BMWNA paid for.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in