Nearest Dealer 100 miles away - Would you Buy Anyway? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Cool Nearest Dealer 100 miles away - Would you Buy Anyway?

I wanna buy an LT now but my nearest dealer that is considered worth going to is `100 miles away and that worries me for working warranty gripes primarily, and services too heavy for me to handle like the computer brake check and Valve adjustment.... *That and the continuing loss of dealerships has me worried..

I know you love your LT's, but with your experience would you buy again if your only dealer was 100 miles away? I know I can get parts from the net but service and warranty work is important.

What warranty gripes Need I worry about with an 05 LT?
Is my anxiety warranted ?

Thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 9:38 pm

Smile

My nearest dealer is 38 miles away, not 100, but not really close either. If you like the bike and can be patient with warranty fixes, 100 miles is not a big deal. In my case with a '99 at 40k miles warranty is a moot point; but, except for tires, I have not needed a dealer. If you are mechanically adept, don't worry about the distance as it will seldom be an issue. On the other hand, if you don't know an open end wrench from a socket, but a Honda or whatever else is nearby.

Semper Fi!

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #3 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 9:45 pm

USMCTPDOG,

I bought my bike from dealer 45 miles away - I got a good price, but since then I have had a couple experiences that made me decide not to have work done there. Consequently, I bought some videos on how to service my own bike and with the videos and the help of folks here, I do it myself (I was/am notorious for my lack of mechanical abilities). When I do need a dealer, I go 125 miles each way to Bentonville AR (OKC BMW is 2nd choice at about 150 each way).

Had I know before I bought my bike that I wasn't going to feel comfortable with my closet dealers service dept, I still would have bought the bike, but probably from Bentonville.

Yes, I worry a bit about the chance of a serious problem, but I have decided that if that happens, I'll haul the bike to Bentonville.

I think you are doing the right thing, FWIW, in soliciting opinions, but as I know you are aware, it'll come down to your comfort level.

You might try filling out your profile a bit more - first name & location - there may be someone nearby you can visit with in person or even attend a 'tech session' and participate in servicing a bike.

Regardless, good luck with your decision!

post #4 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 9:53 pm

My dealer is 110 miles away and it makes for a good excuse for a nice ride when I have to visit him.

If you want the bike and there is no alternative (as in my case), then, by all means, buy it and enjoy the ride.

By the way, Murphy will make sure that it will always rain on the day when you have an appointment to take the bike in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #5 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 10:01 pm

If the 100 mile away dealer is good then I would not hesitate for one minute about buying from them. I am VERY lucky as my BMW dealer is 9 miles away. BUT the only Honda dealer I trust is 55 miles away. There are 2 Honda dealers within 10 miles but I would never have service done there. I am very fussy about who services my bikes. The BMW dealer is GREAT!

Also, unlike most Metric shops the BMW dealers many times will let you wait for you bike. How cool is that.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #6 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 10:12 pm

My dealer is 80 miles away but it makes for a good ride on a great motorcycle! Whats the big deal? Buy the bike!!!!
post #7 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:11 pm

I bought mine from a dealer 230 miles from me even though there are two dealers within 50 miles of me. It makes a great ride to NH anytime I need service.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #8 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:34 pm

I would buy again, 100 miles would be fine.. My dealer is 55 miles away and its such a short ride.. The next closest dealer is 125 miles away.........Regards Pete
post #9 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:35 pm

The fact that I have a local dealer in town (and a very good one I must say) is half the reason I've owned two BMW's over the past 3 years. If the nearest BMW dealer was 100 (or more) miles away, I'd be riding another brand.

regards

2016 R1200RT
2015 RGU
post #10 of 80 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:42 pm

I would think your biggest concern is, could you get the bike there if it was unable to get there under it's own power.
Do you have a pickup or trailer you could put the bike in if you need? Do you have a friend to help load it up? The LT is a great bike but a hell of a paper weight if that motor won't start.
There are few dead bike issues with the LT so it's not like your guaranteed to break down. But hey, sh*t happens and you just might get the one exception.
Not trying to scare you but you gotta be prepared.
Ed
post #11 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 2:10 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Just Do It!!!

After the first few thousand miles you won't need much warranty work.
The group I ride with will drive 100 just for pie!!!

Good Luck!!!!

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #12 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 6:12 am

My dealer is 245 miles away, there is one closer at 235 but.....

Like you I was concerned a bit about this distance. My 99LT was my first BMW, but I went for it and have really been pleased. I do most of my own work, except the warranty issues. I did have a few of these, but it makes for a good ride or reason to visit the dealer. For me, 100 miles would be no issue at all.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #13 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 7:28 am

If there are not too many stop lights, you're only about an hour away Trust me a 100 mile ride on the LT is just around the block. My closest dealer is 65 miles away, the next one abou a 100 miles. My dealer will lend me a loaner(service loaner bike) if I have to leave the bike. Good luck in your decision, but I would not let the 100 mile distance to dealer slow me up at all in buying the bike that I wanted.
Leon
05 LT (Blue)
post #14 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 7:44 am

This is really a personal decision, that only you can determine. Since you asked, however, the answer is absolutely not. Think about it, three to four hours on the road every time you need something. Regardless of people saying it's a great excuse for a ride, if you NEED something it might very well be not such a good ride.

It's a good bike, but it's not that good. Find something you enjoy riding, with a local dealer with whom you feel comfortable. Now go do whatever makes you feel best.

Dan
New Hampshire
2002 K1200LTC
post #15 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:24 am

Love the machine, but...

Before the demise of my dealership (Garden State BMW) I was spoiled by the 8 miles I had to drive to get there. Now the next closest is 48 miles. I do most, but not all, of my maintenance work so its not all that often that I need a dealership. For the few times I will need their expertise, I'll now need a chase car since I don't have a trailer.
I guess I'm just frustrated that we have such a fine machine and so few dealership options. The next generation LT is on my list of possibilities but now I will be looking at other options as well.

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #16 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
I wanna buy an LT now but my nearest dealer that is considered worth going to is `100 miles away and that worries me for working warranty gripes primarily, and services too heavy for me to handle like the computer brake check and Valve adjustment.... *That and the continuing loss of dealerships has me worried..

I know you love your LT's, but with your experience would you buy again if your only dealer was 100 miles away? I know I can get parts from the net but service and warranty work is important.

What warranty gripes Need I worry about with an 05 LT?
Is my anxiety warranted ?

Thanks for any input
a couple things, how much time do you have, can you take off a day if needed to get that warranty issue solved, 100 miles is not bad, but can be a pain if you have to keep going back. many travel much further for better service.

I understand your concern about dealers closing as well, I would be sure this dealer is not a new one, has a good reputation, hasn't been forced to become a boutique recently, that seems to be what has happened to some new dealers. or at least looks like a pattern. build new dealer for bmw only and not in a good busy area for the bmw MC brand. oh heck who knows.....

Good luck with your decision, I understand your feelings after all the issues we had with dealers in the beginning of our ownership, let me add one more thing.
Now that I have found a good dealer I'm pretty happy with the bmw bikes in general. but I do worry about getting stuck someplace a bazillion miles from a dealer.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #17 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:40 am

Quote:
I wanna buy an LT now but my nearest dealer that is considered worth going to is `100

Thanks for any input

I just noticed your in Sopkane, I have a couple friends not far from you that ride BMW, i've never heard them complain about the dealers.

YMMV

Tom

post #18 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:52 am

Its Really About Time

I agree with TMGS that time is an issue. If you have time to spare (really only once or twice per year would be "have to" visits), and you have decided on BMW - then do it. If lack of time is your biggest issue, get a ride from the closest dealer. However, if you travel long distances, the "proximity" issue will crop up again and then would you plan your route so as to be within 45 minutes of the closest dealer. I am not sure there is a 1000 mile route in the US that you could travel and never be more than 1 hour from a dealer.

My dealer is about 1 hour north, depending on traffic. The internet is close if I want farkle stuff - I would normally not go to the dealer for that. It really seems to be a non-issue for a new bike other than time.
post #19 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 9:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
When I am in Wisconsin (Madison), my dealer is 90 miles away (in Milwaukee).

I was concerned about this at first, but now it is no problem. I have found neat back roads to get there, and the ride is enjoyable.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #115 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard KnŲchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT ē R1250RT ē 1967 R60/2
post #20 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 9:30 am

Thumbs up

I had my choice of two dealers at the time of my purchase. The closer is 28 miles away...the farther (and better) of the two is 46 miles away. I bought my LT at the farther dealer. It has not even been an inconvenience at all, and I would do it again. I wouldn't let the single fact of a dealer being 100 miles away be the reason NOT to buy a BMW.

Fortunately for me, last summer a new BMW dealer opened up just 12 miles away! The techs don't seem to be too bad, so I just may give them a shot at my business one of these day. I had them mount a tire for me...but that was a little more than I was use to paying. But sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do.
post #21 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneteeth
I agree with TMGS that time is an issue. If you have time to spare (really only once or twice per year would be "have to" visits), and you have decided on BMW - then do it. If lack of time is your biggest issue, get a ride from the closest dealer. However, if you travel long distances, the "proximity" issue will crop up again and then would you plan your route so as to be within 45 minutes of the closest dealer. I am not sure there is a 1000 mile route in the US that you could travel and never be more than 1 hour from a dealer.

My dealer is about 1 hour north, depending on traffic. The internet is close if I want farkle stuff - I would normally not go to the dealer for that. It really seems to be a non-issue for a new bike other than time.

I'm pretty sure the furthest stretch is over 900 miles in the U.S., That is from dallas/fortworth/plano to Tucson?
I think Deming is no longer a BMW dealer
I could be wrong though about all this, I really did not pay that much attention.

Tom

Tom

post #22 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:33 am
Bouncer

When I was up in the area, Mac's Cycles in Clarkston took very good care of me. I needed a 6,000 mile interval service in the middle of a trip and a quick phone call to the service manager, I had an appointment set up (6K service and tires). I dropped the bike off in the morning, and they had me all set up that afternoon (including washing the bike!!!!). Also, I had a chance to stop in at Beaudry Motorsports in Post Falls, ID. It's a very nice toy store. BMW, Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprilia. Don't know much else about it. And I forget how many miles it is to Missoula, but Big Sky BMW is a very good dealership. Two summers ago, they helped me with an ABS that wouldn't reset. Dropped everything they were doing to help me and then didn't charge me a dime to do it. Great guys.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #23 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
When I was up in the area, Mac's Cycles in Clarkston took very good care of me.
I can second Mac's, for this reason
we thought there was a problem with the brakes on Karen's RT while on my Sons grad trip. They dropped what they were doing to look it over. some air in the sytem was all.
got a Cool shirt too,

If only the passing lane had a passing lane <g>

Tom

post #24 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:50 am

I would buy one pretty much no matter where the nearest dealer was. I probably am not a good scale for most to make a decision against though, as I do all my own work, even to tearing down the engine and putting new pistons in, and have done even more involved work than that on my last LT. So as long as I could order parts, I would be OK. I would likely not buy a new one though to avoid having to go a long distance back to a dealer for warranty work.

Fortunately, I have lived relatively near dealers (15 and 40 miles, both good), and if I move to Knoxville next year it is nice to know there is a dealer there now.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #25 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:03 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
...and if I move to Knoxville next year it is nice to know there is a dealer there now.
You know...I never would've thought about that. But WHEN the wife and I head south, I'm going to have to make sure I'm close to a BMW dealer...when picking the "perfect" location.

That, and TWISTIES!!!

post #26 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:05 pm

I'm 225 miles from my nearest dealer and 250 miles from the 2nd nearest. This doesn't bother me at all. I have the means to trailer my bike in if I need to and I have RV Roadhelp membership in case I break down while riding.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #27 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 3:05 pm

Warranty service work is a PITA whether in town or 100 miles away. If you can ride there and get it done in one day, then be prepared for a nice ride, weather permitting, and sitting around or scrounging for a demo bike. If it's inclement weather, well, then you start to think of a covered trailer (rental/ownership) . . . my oh my, these toys do get expensive. Some dealers pickup/deliver (you pay in some way or another), others, well, you are on your own. In some cases 100 miles is really not much worse than 15 miles if the bike is indeed incapacitated. etc. etc.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #28 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 3:42 pm

If it were not for COST, San Diego is just about as close to perfect as I have run into. GREAT riding, mountains galore, deserts just across the "hills", beach front right there. Then to top that off there is the weather! Can you say "ride every day?" For multiple types of areas in a day's ride, hard to beat this place. Most every area of the country has a thing or two to offer, but here we have nearly all of it.

I would be just fine staying here, but not a place I can afford to retire in.

Outside of the weather, and less in the way of riding area variations, eastern TN/western NC looks awfully good. Yeah, a fair amount of twisties, but not much else. After about the 500th tree lined turn in the road, they all look alike. No matter where I end up, I will always look back at my years in San Diego with a fond and wistfull memory, maybe even a tear or two.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #29 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 3:48 pm

I have seen you post this before David and my heart goes out! And, BTW, FL falls very short of the S.D. Description. When I went to UCLA in '60's, visited S.D. a few times and was thoroughly impressed. Heck, I remember LA where the S.D. Freeway out of the then barren San Fernando Valley to Westwood and classes took all of 20 minutes to get to school. heh heh.

Good luck on retirement and your selling your home!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #30 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 7:54 pm

Why do you have to go 100 miles if you're in Spokane and Post Falls is only 20 miles away? I lived in Sandpoint, kids still there, and come out about once a year. What's wrong with Beadury's on I 90?. I got a tire changed there and they did a good job a couple a years back, Something changed? You don't have to buy from them if the price isn't to your liking and they STILL have to do warranty work. BMW pays them for that. Have they stopped selling BMW? I'll be coming out next May and was planning on new tires and a service there if need be. Would appreciate a heads up if things have gone south there.
First time I ever sat on an LT was there. Wish to heck I had bought it there that day in 2000 when I had the chance would have saved my knees and some cash too. Let us know what's up with that. As far as valve adjustment they'll check it at 6 and it'll probably sound fine. My 05 has over 43000 miles and no valves needed adjustment. Only warranty issue was the fuel milage trip computer and they fixed that 2 months back even out of warranty for free here in Ft. Myers. Gulf Coast BMW/Triumph is a good shop. Need work? they are fine and very helpful. As for Beaudry's they sell all the best bike brands Ducati, BMW, Suzuki, all the ones I like!

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #31 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:08 pm

Oh what the heck

I am riding my 4th Beemer and never had a dealer closer than 40 miles. It ain't convenient, but it is a great bike.
post #32 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:24 pm

I kinda look at it this way, there are two McDonalds on the way to Burger King. I like Whoppers more than I do Big Macs so I go a little farther and get WHAT I NEED/WANT. There is a Honda and Yamaha (two separate dealerships) seven miles away from me. My dealer is 45 miles away from me. I guess what I am saying is I go where I can get WHAT I NEED/WANT. I had my RT serviced by them and they did not put enough oil in it. They offered to drive 45 miles and top it off. Will a Honda or Yamaha dealer do that. Not the ones around here. Do the Honda and Yamaha dealers give you a free loaner bike when your bike is being serviced? Not around here. Does frustrate me sometimes? Absolutely! But not as much as Honda and Yamaha does.
post #33 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:33 pm

My nearest dealer is a 9 hour ferry ride and then a 225 mile ride away. I just plan on taking a ride around service time. We buy these bikes to ride, not to sit in the garage. Buy the bike. Be happy.

Mike Gray
Fairbanks, Alaska
2000 K1200LT
2014 F700GS
post #34 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
----- Heck, I remember LA where the S.D. Freeway out of the then barren San Fernando Valley to Westwood and classes took all of 20 minutes to get to school. heh heh.
Boy, you ARE old!

I lived in the San Fernando Valley (Granada Hills) for 6 years before moving to San Diego. Sure not like that now! I drove to work through LA from Granada Hills to Gardena every day for about 1 1/2 years, That trip could take anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 HOURS, depending on whether someone had spit on the freeway or not.

I have been in San Diego for 14 years now, and the traffic has at least doubled here. Getting to be a lot like LA in spots. Fortunately, I live in the east county mountains, so once out of the San Diego city limits, traffic is not bad at all, and on the back roads around my home it is rarely heavy.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #35 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 9:28 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention. Max BMW has two shops, one in Albany, NY and the other in North HAmpton, NH. I bought my LT from the NH shop. They will pick up my bike and do the service at either shop. The thing is because I live more than 75 miles from either they will charge $75 foir the pick up[ and drop off. If i need something like a tankbag or something that can be mailed they will ship it for free overnight. These are great I am vbery happy with them.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #36 of 80 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 9:59 pm

Talking

I do all my own maintenance work so the distance isn't an issue for me. I do however drive 100 miles for coffee.
post #37 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 1:01 am Thread Starter

Smile

*Thank you all for such an encouraging response for this Beautiful and Complicated machine. . . I am hoping to find a nice low mileage used 05 within a days drive of here in the Inland Northwest. I am a pretty good wrench and did all the maintenance on my Harleys, BMW Twins and Honda GL's...

*Then it is only a matter of waiting out the Snow & Icy roads (2-3 Months) until I can get back in the wind!! Gee, maybe the New Improved 07 Uber*LT might spring up and the old version 05/06 will be going on sale!!!
post #38 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 8:46 am

Nearest dealer is 53miles from my home.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #39 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:39 am
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
I wanna buy an LT now but my nearest dealer that is considered worth going to is `100 miles away and that worries me
I wouldn't do it. However, I think it is a question of time availability. My time to ride is precious due to work constraints and when I have it, I like to spend it on a great trip, not driving back and forth to the dealer.

I suppose if I were retired or had lots of free time it might not be so important. So, as long as you ask, I would weigh the distance-to-dealer factor as a function of how much time you have to play.
post #40 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I wouldn't do it. However, I think it is a question of time availability. My time to ride is precious due to work constraints and when I have it, I like to spend it on a great trip, not driving back and forth to the dealer.

I suppose if I were retired or had lots of free time it might not be so important. So, as long as you ask, I would weigh the distance-to-dealer factor as a function of how much time you have to play.
A good point. Ideally, I wish that dealers would come pick up the bike, wash it, and return it. I think I saw in the NY metro area somewhere in ON that there are dealers that do this. Of course they are paying, but, it's only money and time is money too!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #41 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
A good point. Ideally, I wish that dealers would come pick up the bike, wash it, and return it.
Great Idea, I'd pay extra for that!

As it is now, I ride the bike to the shop (about 53 mikes), then take a bus to the train to get home...then the same back to pick it up ($10.50 round trip). I admit; I do love the trip, but sometimes it's inconvenient.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #42 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:31 pm

I suggested it to my dealer as I got to know the owner (as best you can get to know an owner) and suggested a covered trailer or e.g. Dodge Sprinter Van (tall). The trailer expense would be about 5 grand or so and they already have a tow truck. It was a year ago, not done yet. I have a covered trailer and if I have to I trailer, but damn, I can afford it, why not offer it???

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #43 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 5:46 pm

The place that sells BMW's is 320 miles away, one way. So its 640 round trip. My dealer is this board for how to and I do it myself. Thanks everyone.

Jim Campbell
Grand Forks, ND
post #44 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 7:11 pm

My dealer is 100 miles away. It does for a good 200 mile round trip. Get to hang out at the shop. drool over farkles that I cannot afford (and buy sometimes anyway), get to look at new bikes, watch people take demo rides (some are funny to watch cause they look like they have never been on a bike), talk to people, get ideas, watch the F18/22 fly overhead (Lockheed), read my Saturday paper, take a nap on the couch, eat a free lunch, free donuts and coffee when I get there.

Since I leave at 7 in the morning I can be there in 1.5 hours with little traffic heading into Atlanta. Dealership has been good to me and I have only one minor warranty issue that was no big deal.

My .02 worth.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #45 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 9:01 pm

Question

Is Beaudry Motor Sports closing?

http://www.beaudrymotorsports.com/index.html
post #46 of 80 Old Dec 9th, 2005, 9:59 pm

The dealers I prefer to use are between are between 25 and 50 miles away. Given that I'm in the Los Angeles area with awful traffic they may as well be a 100 miles away at times. Wouldn't hesitate to use a dealer further away if neccessary. Buy the bike if you like it. Problems that would require a tow are fairly rare so the distance is just another excuse to go for a ride.
post #47 of 80 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

As luck would have it I have found a Lightly Used Gold 05 with only 4,500 miles, 17 months warranty left with heated seats/grips + Convenience Group for $16500.

Problematic is it is sitting about 600 miles away. I would have to drive out and load into my old 4x8 utility trailer and tow it back into the snowy winter weather wonderland here. **Why can't I find a bike in my own town? Duh!

*Then, I'll only be able to sit and polish it in my garage since these roads will be not safe to ride until around March of 2006 ! LOL!!!

The price seems good and I like the Gold Color even tho it has been discontinued.

What say U?

Last edited by usmctpdog; Dec 11th, 2005 at 8:02 pm.
post #48 of 80 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 8:41 pm

Grab it! Too bad about the snow and ice, you will miss out on your first long ride.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #49 of 80 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Cool Don't Need No Stinkin Dealer!

Quote:
That and the continuing loss of dealerships has me worried..

DON'T NEED NO STINKIN DEALER!

Y'all just buy the sucker. We all ride um and fix um!

Like the motto says "Just ride it."
post #50 of 80 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 2:14 am
IBR# 366

Garage
usmctpdog,

Go for it. If you want, I can take it to my house in sunny SoCal, and store it for you over the winter. Heck, I'll even deliver it once the roads are clear. That should solve all your problems. I'd be glad to help.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in