Chips - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 5:26 am Thread Starter

Question Chips

A simple question from a simple mind - can the LT engine be given a boost with GT parts, in particular re-chip? I have a 2005LT.

Last edited by johkar; Feb 6th, 2008 at 5:33 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:06 am

I would presume you are talking about the Brick GT and not the newer vertical GT.

If so it is an interesting concept, I am not sure what was changed on the motors. Different cams, or just a little tweak by the chip. I would suspect if it was just a chip change others would have tried it by now.

Be interesting to see what the gurus say.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 8:46 am

Clicky clicky

Our own Grif helped design and test it.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:41 am

Talk to Rhinewest to see what is available to get a few more ponies out of your '05 LT. I think it's new cam gears and a chip. If you're going that far, then you'd need to look at adding a Rhemus exhuast to make it work the best. JM2CW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:24 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johkar
A simple question from a simple mind - can the LT engine be given a boost with GT parts, in particular re-chip? I have a 2005LT.

The GT has considerably more radical cams designed for upper rpm performance which, if placed in an LT, would sacrifice low and mid-range performance. The LT engine is tuned to produce more torque and less horsepower than the GT and RS engine. I don't know if a chip is available for an '05 model; contact Hank at Rhinewest, he installed a chip in my 2000 LT. I do believe cam gears are available for '05 and up models that will provide some performance enhancements. I elected to not install a Remus exhaust on my LT. Hank advised that I would probably lose some low and mid-range power because the Remus is tuned to enhance high rpm performance. Because I pull a trailer, I did not want any loss of power thru the low and mid rpm range. Rhinewest's dyno graphs support Hank's statements regarding the potential power loss. Just choose what rpm powerband fits your riding style and accessorize accordingly.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:44 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Clicky clicky

Our own Grif helped design and test it.
I just gotta know... whats the "off road characteristics" improvement.....??

"The performance software for the K1200LT improves peak horsepower and dramatically improves the bikes on and off road characteristics. The chip is designed to enhance the stock and after-market exhaust systems."

John, you and I have the same model.... why do you think it needs a performance boost, or is it just one of those "what if" questions??
cheers from Sydney...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Feb 7th, 2008 at 4:55 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 9:56 pm

Before you invest in a chip do your self and go to the Black Hole Exhaust site ( Link bekow ) and read the entire article, Very informative,, even if you don't change a thing you will understand the LT dfrive train alot better.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhol...0exhausts.html

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:14 pm

On the 05' the only thing is the cam gears and exhaust. The 05' already has about 16 more ponnies that previous models. I did this on my 05' and it does make a difference.
The exhaust.

The gears

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for all the info - was just looking for something simple in increase power just a little when 2 up.
From what I can see for the small gains with pipes and such it's not worth the expense - just kick the beast down a little more.
I drive a diesel 4X4 so am not used to working the box.
Last bike was a long time ago.
Thanks again guys.
BTW I wouldnt swap her for anything.

John.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in