newbe to LT and K bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

newbe to LT and K bike

Picking up a 2001 with 73K on the clock. First K bike. original owner has taken very nice care of it.

It drives and shifts very well, has new rubber and I did not notice any leaks. it does need new rear pads. Most of the maintenance records are from a local dealer and up to date.

Frist thing I intend to do is a complete fluid change so I start out fresh

My question is are there any issues that I should keep an eye on with this year.

Thanks in advance.

Al
1977 r75/7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:55 pm

There are others on the board who are a lot more mechanically minded than I am, but I'll give you my impressions.

I believe 2001 was the last model year before integrated servo-assisted brakes. There are some purists who eschew the integrated brakes, making the '01 something special.

I would go ahead and change the pads and flush and refill the brake fluid while I was at it.

Some advocate drilling a weep hole to drain out brake fluid in case the clutch slave cylinder fails. Lots of posts about that if you are interested.

Another potential problem is the final drive but I'm not sure there is much you can do to predict a problem. Personally, I'm riding mine and hoping I'm in the 98 percent that don't have a final drive failure.

If you haven't figured it out yet, the stock headlight is very weak. If your prior owner did not install HID, look into that upgrade. There are a couple of vendors that offer plug-and-play low beam conversions for $75-100. Best money I've spent on the bike.

Remember that the bike has a dry clutch. Be careful not to ride the clutch too often.

The best thing I learned about the LT is to get the revs up. Lots of these bikes (mine included) have a rough spot at about 4500 rpms. Instead of shifting up, just wind it out. The engine gets a lot happier above 5000 rpms, it's like a different bike.
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:56 pm

Welcome aboard, Al!
Here is a link to the HOW (Hall of Wisdom). http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...ow_maintenance
You can get to it by clicking the "technical link on the top of the page.

There are tons of posts about what's best... but many get the most benefit from "tech session" nearby their homes.

Here is a "checklist" for doing an engine oil change. http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

thanks guys,

I am away on Business this weekend so I have to wait till next weekend to pick it up. I am looking forward to riding it.

I believe the headlight has been upgraded and some other mods have been done.

Thanks again for the input
Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in