mini-air compressors????...... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:46 am Thread Starter

mini-air compressors????......

I did a quick search but could not find any info. I think it was on this forum where I saw some guys came across some mini-air compressors that they take with on long trips. I have been un-lucky the past year or so and have picked up nails/screws three times in pretty new tires!!!! A small compressor would be nice.....anybody have any tips where to get one???

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:00 am

Harbor Freight

$10, works good, less on sale.

"A bad day riding is better than the best day at work."
2000 LT Icon (For 2 up rides)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Yamaha Virago 1100 (New to me Jan. 08)
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G ST (Retired at 97.4k miles)
1992 Suzuki GSX1100G (Replacement for 91)
2000 Suzuki DRZ400S (For City and Desert)
2007 Honda Accord (Meaning no more US engineered cars)
And 18 other bikes, 300,000+ miles, 43+ years riding experience
Retired Engineer, Sales and Maintenance Manager(s)
post #3 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:12 am

I got a "Totes" mini compressor for Christmas. I have not tried it yet. It is compact, 8x3x5 inches and comes with a 10 foot chord and a 14 inch long air hose. Says it will do 250 PSI. Plugs into car cigarette lighter so you would need BMW plug to Cigarette lighter adapter. Made by ETON, a division of Tandy brand products in West Bend, WI. No web site listed on box or instructions. My wife says it was around $12.00.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN

post #4 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:15 am

Harbor Freight has one, for about $15.00. I will be getting one later this month.

Ad said it will pump to 120psi.
post #5 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser
I did a quick search but could not find any info. I think it was on this forum where I saw some guys came across some mini-air compressors that they take with on long trips. I have been un-lucky the past year or so and have picked up nails/screws three times in pretty new tires!!!! A small compressor would be nice.....anybody have any tips where to get one???

Steve
The airpump from BESTRESTPRODUCTS.COM is the one used by a LOT of folks doing their "AROUND THE WORLD" trips....and was evidently used by some of the British troops in Afghanistan or Iraq. On the pricey side.....but you know what they say......."you get what you pay for..."

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #6 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:27 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
The airpump from BESTRESTPRODUCTS.COM is the one used by a LOT of folks doing their "AROUND THE WORLD" trips....and was evidently used by some of the British troops in Afghanistan or Iraq. On the pricey side.....but you know what they say......."you get what you pay for..."
Pat
It is the one I bought and use. I am sure there are many that will do the trick, but I like the way this is built, and it fits in a case and stows pretty easy.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser

Steve
I bought this one recently and like it a lot. Course, you know what they say - leave it at home and you'll have a need for it on the road. Carry it with you and you'll have no need for it!!!!!!
post #8 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:43 pm

I bought the CyclePump and the in line air pressure gauge from BESTRESTPRODUCTS.COM and love them. Used them several times to add air and they worked great. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for, IMHO.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #9 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 1:36 pm

+1 on the CyclePump

This isn't a cheap pump, but it is compact and reliable. It also ships with a 24" air hose, 8' power cord and with many power options. I have the adventure combo pack offered here http://bestrestproducts.com/celestia/products/cyclepump/ at the bottom of the page.

Or you could just pack a cell phone, credit card and call a friend. I'll stick with being independent.

Kevin - "06" Lt (Magnesium Black Graphite)

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 2:01 pm

Quite odd.

Yesterday I was in PepBoys picking up a Bondo-file for my ceramics, walked past 12V compressors and remembered that it had been a few years since I've seen a thread about striping down those buggers, and installing them where the canister used to be.

Bob
post #11 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Bought a $10.00 one from wally-world. stripped the plastic off it. now it stows easy (under seat). works great. even if only lasts long enough to pump up one tire on the road, its paid for itself.
post #12 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 2:10 pm

BestRest products

BestRest air pumps are now available at :

www.racerpartswholesale.com

Click on the 'Helen Twowheels Motorcycle Stuff' division

Full disclosure;
RPW is a Forum sponsor
I own RPW.

Tom Volk
post #13 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 4:42 pm

I would love to see what is now inside the CyclePump/BestRest unit. A couple of years ago, one of the cycle magazines had a report on the CyclePump, and had a picture of it with the cover off. I was absolutely amazed to see it was the exact cheap crappy unit that I had taken out of one of the $10 plastic WalMart type units. It was just put in an aluminum case. If that is still the case, it is one of the biggest rip offs of all time. Will anyone with a later one take the cover off and post a picture?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 5:54 pm

Slime

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...t.asp?Item=SLM
Works ok for me.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #15 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 6:39 pm

WalMart 12 volt mini compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
Bought a $10.00 one from wally-world. stripped the plastic off it. now it stows easy (under seat). works great. even if only lasts long enough to pump up one tire on the road, its paid for itself.
Yup, me too. Around 10-15 bucks IIRC. I took the plastic off, wired it for a BMW powerlet plug, and stuck a pressure gauge on the hose.

Very small, stows well. Watch out for moving parts when using it. I just lay it on the ground and let it vibrate around. I have used this for several years. It isn't pretty but it is practical.
post #16 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
I bought the CyclePump and the in line air pressure gauge from BESTRESTPRODUCTS.COM and love them. Used them several times to add air and they worked great. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for, IMHO.

Ray
+1 with Ray I have the CyclePump also and have used several times also have the pressure gauge. I wanted something that it was going to work when I needed it. It came with its own bag, also got a tire plug kit and some plug strips from the Auto Supply store. Good luck with your purchase. I agree that you get what you pay for. Yes, and Charlie can tell you that when you have one, you better check your tire pressure regularly. I mest up my front rim after I hit a crater on the road while going nuts during Vermont BBD trip. There was not enough air in the tire The group got me a Pressure gauge to help my estupidity enjoy life to the fullest

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

Last edited by spinedr; Feb 5th, 2008 at 8:32 pm.
post #17 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 8:21 pm
Mister Moto

I bought this Craftsman off of a clearance table at Kmart for $15, comes with a digital guage built in.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airpump.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	16476  

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

post #18 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Cyclepump is the one i use.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #19 of 23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
I have a 10 buck wally world one too and it has faithfully taken care of three cars, 2 motorcycles and countless bikes for the last five years.
post #20 of 23 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 6:20 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I bought this one recently and like it a lot. Course, you know what they say - leave it at home and you'll have a need for it on the road. Carry it with you and you'll have no need for it!!!!!!
Plus 1 I've carried mine for 2 years and works great

Stevie Shreeve
post #21 of 23 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys......

Steve
post #22 of 23 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 9:05 am

Slime

Someone posted on the ADV site that Auto Zone has the Slime 40001 on sale for 9.99$. I have not checked yet but if they do I am stocking up.
post #23 of 23 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 7:48 pm

I stopped by Auto Zone, and sure enough, $9.99. Clerk said it was priced wrong, should have been $29.99, but since it was on the shelf for that price he sold me one. Used it on the LT and my wife's FJR1300, comes with direct to battery, cigarette lighter plug and more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in