2003 LT Are they good ones? Any feedback is welcome - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

2003 LT Are they good ones? Any feedback is welcome

I am considering buying a 2003 LT. Are they worth investing in?

I am told the comm system is a JM/BMW combination. I have read here that the BC1 and 2 are junk. However, I didn't think that 2003 have JM systems. Any thoughts?

I am looking for some general feedback on this year specifically. I don't want to invest in a newer model at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:39 pm

I have a really nice silver one if you're interested. Custom seat, lights, GPS etc.
Overall, they're a blast to ride, but they do require more maintainence then your average bike.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:33 pm

I cannot comment on the comm system....but I have an 03 with 64k on it and have very happy with it.......Enjoy

post #4 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've got the '03 with 61k miles and the J&M comn system. Works very well.

dan
post #5 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:58 pm
Ted

The 2003 LT was a good year! It was the 1st year to have the 17-ball bearing and I believe there has been only one 2003 final drive failure reported on this site. Can't comment on the comm sys since I do not have one. Given that the bike has been properly maintained and cared for, the 2003 will be your best value. If it has more than 25K - 30K miles, it will need new shocks if they haven't already been replaced. I've owned mine since July 2003 and still love it - good luck!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 9:07 pm
BMW Guru

Very happy with my 03. I was quite happy with my 2000 also.

The com system in the 03's is the BC3 made by J&M. Works great.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
The 2003 LT was a good year! It was the 1st year to have the 17-ball bearing and I believe there has been only one 2003 final drive failure reported on this site. Can't comment on the comm sys since I do not have one. Given that the bike has been properly maintained and cared for, the 2003 will be your best value. If it has more than 25K - 30K miles, it will need new shocks if they haven't already been replaced. I've owned mine since July 2003 and still love it - good luck!
I have 36K on my 03. What's wrong with my shocks?

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #8 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 3:22 am

I have an 03 LTC. Have owned it since '05. Have put 30K on the bike. Overall I am very happy with it. I have no problem with my shocks either. The bike has everything I need. I am happy with it.

Purchased an extended warranty before the warranty ran out. The previous owner didn't ride it which caused seal problems. It has had the rear main seal replaced and an output shaft seal replaced. But other then that, the bike has been terrific.

Just make sure the bike has some mileage on it and hasn't been sitting around and you should love it. I think the 03 - 04 is your best value right now.

Under the right circumstances, I would buy again... Mine does not have the comm system.
post #9 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 6:47 am

I have an 03! at purchase time cloc read 6-7K, 3 years ago this month! I now have 48K+ . I would have a lot more but had to take a break from LD riding due to health issues.

In the time I have had it. I have replaced rear bearings, I caught it before any damage was done to other parts in RD, All that was replaced was bearings and seals.

I have not had major problems with the com system. I have had an issue with the rear connector cable. After careful observations and questions I discovered Miss E was hitting the cable with her foot on mount and dismount thus causing the separation in the cable.

I replaced the shocks with Ohlins, last year. What a difference that made! It did increase seat height about 1/2 inch or so. So if that is an issue, take that into consideration. I believe Ohlins can be ordered in a shorter version, you may ask about that if you order them.

I would recommend that you attend tech sessions. You can then do maintenance yourself and KNOW that it was done. Plus save money also.

My other issue with this bike are tires. If you ride allot of miles, you will replace tires often. Just something to be aware of, not really a big deal.

Now after the reality check, I must say that the LT is the most fun I have had in a long time. A majority of our riding is two up, and I dont think you will find a bike as comfortable as the LT. It is not uncommon for Miss E and I to ride 10 to 14 hour days. The last CCR, I rode to Tan-Tar-A in one day about 12 hours. I think just under 700 miles!

Miss E has been known to fall asleep onboard. I dont recommend it for the driver though!

Several Farkles I recommend:

Moto lights
HID headlight (lowbeam especially)
Highway ottomans
Alaska leather seat cushion
Cee Bailey windshield
Throttle buster
Bak-Up backrest
Ohlins shocks

Hope this helps, You want to look under the seat for the build date also, some think after a certain date rear drive failure is minimal.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

Last edited by NOGILLS2; Feb 5th, 2008 at 6:53 am.
post #10 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:21 am

I am satisfied with mine. The word that caught me in your initial post is "invest". Just make sure you don;t see the purchase as an "investment" to make money on, because the LT doesn't have good resale. HOWEVER, it is a GREAT bike to ride!

I think they are great bikes that can be bought for good prices. Possibly the most bang for the buck you can find. IF you have or haven't purchased by March 1, we are having a tech session/ERC at Surry Community College in Dobson NC. I know it's a pretty long haul for you, but you can probably meet several of us and get to see the bike undressed. Or if you have one by then, you may be able to get some services performed if you need. You supply the parts and the rest of us will help you service. Check the Southeast forum for details.

Randy
post #11 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Hmmm?? You ask a very difficult question.... I have never looked at a motorcycle as an investment..... I never looked at my truck as an investment either

Now as to the '03 LT, great bike,, but most all BMW's seem to be good quality.... You might want to look around a little more for a used '05 LT.... You are getting more technology and some nice additions with the '05 and newer.... Power center stand is a huge plus.. More engine power.... Small upgrades throughout the bike...Just a thought...........Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #12 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Silver for sure.

I have an 03 that I've had very little problems with and I don't find that the maintenance routine is any more exhaustive than any other bike I've owned. I do my own maintenance. I don't seem to have any problems with center stand so for me a hydraulic one is just more weight and one more thing to go wrong.

That just goes to show you that everyone has different needs and opinions. My intercom is by Autocom so I can't speak to the factory version. None of the people that I ride with that have factory intercoms have ever complained about them as far as I can remember.

The ride on this bike, especially 2 up, is just great. Even riding by myself is a great deal of fun. I rode mine home from Denver last year in 19 hours and 19 minutes (1283 miles) and enjoyed the experience.

Just grab it if it is in good condition and enjoy. Especially if it is silver because that is the sharpest, fastest, most reliable color out there
post #13 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 5:33 pm

03 here best purchase I ever made.
bought in 05 with only 1300 miles on her.
2 tips out to Yellowstone
1 to Arizona
No regrets.
Even got the best color BLACK

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #14 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Smile

Bought an 03 LTE new, it now has 75,000 miles on the clock. Had to change a leaking fork seal at aprox. 30,000 miles. cost $130.00 parts and labor at dealer. Did a preemptive slave cyl. & weep hole at a tech sesson. parts cost $112.00. It has been the cheapest motorcycle i have ever owned.
post #15 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone for the Information

Thanks ya'll for the feedback. I may have lost the opportunity to buy the 03 due a prior sale, but I have come to realize that if it is meant to be, it will work out.

I have been lurking here for 5 or so years waiting for my son to finish college. Over the past 15 years, I have owned a 93 GW, 00 GW, 00 GS, 96 RT, and 95 KRS1000. I am wanting to purchase another touring bike for my wife and I. I have not owned or ridden a MC in 3 years, but I live close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and I miss going up there on a bike.

In the past, I got real turned off on this model because of the negativity about FDs and such. You still see a little of it on this sight, but over the years I have seen a definite improvement. I have enjoyed reading the great responses I have received on this limited postc.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will keep lurking and pull the trigger when the right one comes along.

Brad Moody
Greenville, SC
post #16 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 6:55 pm

I've got a 2003 LT that I've been very pleased with. It had 6,000 miles on it when I got it, just over a year ago, and now has about 18,000 and I really haven't ridden it since August due to health problems first for myself, and now my wife. I've never had any problems with it. Just changed the fluids and put on new tires and a battery.

Can't help you with the sound system. I don't know what kind mine is or how to work it other than to turn it on and scroll around until I find what I'm looking for. It's an AM/FM/CD player with a six CD changer is all I know.

I'm probably going to have to sell it, but man I hate to.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
post #17 of 20 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Hey Wayne!!

I sincerely pray that whatever plauges you and your family leaves you soon-I am a believer in karma & everything I've read from you tells me me you got the positive sort.

Keep On Keeping On!!!

Mike
post #18 of 20 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:05 am

Thanks Mike. I think we've either hit the bottom, or are pretty close and starting to pull out. It's in God's hands, so we know all will be well, one way or the other.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
post #19 of 20 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Check the manufacturing date to make sure that it is after May 2002 when the rear drive switched to 17 balls. You can check by using VIN decoder

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #20 of 20 Old Feb 9th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Smile Bmw 03

Bought new in 03...107,835 miles, no big problems...lots of happy memories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in