proud new owner of 05 LT,but scared!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Smile proud new owner of 05 LT,but scared!!

Just picked up my 05 LT feb 3rd,17500 miles. After reading things on this site I'm half scared to ride it. Do these bikes ever run well without catastrophe failures with just normal maint done. Lets here some happy stories. Nice to be part of the club, I think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:02 am

Sometimes all you hear about is problems, The truth is that the LT is a very trustworthy and hardy machine. Change the oil when its time and ride it like you stole it. I put 50k on my LT before I sold it and it was virtually trouble free. Enjoy your LT and don't give it another thought. Welcome to the site and the best bike you have ever owned. Unless of course you have a GT!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:21 am

Don't worry!

Don't worry, the machine is fantastic.

Maintenance is really easy to do. I have 48,000 miles on the bike and this is the first time I've had to adjust the valves. It never uses any oil.

I had my rear drive bearing replaced as a preventative measure and I never think about it now. I removed it yesterday as part of my other work and it's easy to remove if needed.

The rear drive oil has been clean with almost no wear metal since I first changed it.

I'm in the middle of a big maintenance job now ("Maintenance-o-rama" thread). After I get through replacing the slave cylinder I will have the "no-think, no-worry" syndrome about that too. I panicked a little after a boo-boo (my fault) in trying to remove the swing arm but I'm well on the way to resolving that too.

I've had the bike for 3 years and put 40,000 miles on it. I believe in doing the PM and then won't worry about it. It has never failed me and has only needed normal maintenance.

If you do run into something unusual, there are some great people here who will encourage you and share their wisdom with you.

Don't worry, the bike will be as reliable or better than your 4 wheeled vehicles.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050

post #4 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:25 am

Loved my LT for 45K miles. A few interesting stories along the way. But nothing that kept me from buying my second brand-new BMW in '06.

FWIW, I've owned 7 Hondas, and a Kaw. And I've owned several brands of off-road vehicles. They all break. No really! They do!

Welcome to the club.
post #5 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:39 am

Love my 05 LT. Mostly fluids and tires on it and the 99 RT. Solved my only warranty problem. Alarm failed to disengage in Chicago before the MOA last July (2200 mile round-trip from home). BMW Chicago replaced the main receiver under warranty; I vowed to never set the alarm again. Who could steal and manhandle an LT without the engine running??

Ride and enjoy.

Bruce
post #6 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:43 am

Over 100,000 trouble-free BMW miles here. Don't worry, and if something breaks, fix it - and then don't worry.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:58 am

Wink my 05 will

have 36K miles in the first 15 min of spring riding. 35,985 mi on bike. Last summer took the month of August and did a four corner. Maine, Florida, California, and Washington St. SO rode back northern route from Eugene, OR.
12,025 mi in 4 weeks. Had no problems at all, well except one with a stealer of a dealer in Orlando, FL. (long story) I have over 100K on the R80RT and when it was reconditioned a few yr ago, was told engine was still in original Spec.

Ride it like you stole it, and if you are concerned about maybe a problem down or on the road, get an extended warranty

Just my .02

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #8 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 3:27 pm

05 Dream

I have two riding seasons on my 05 LT with no problems. I have put about 32,000 miles on it the last two summers, it has a total of 38,000 miles. I have changed the brake fluid, the brakes and went through two sets of tires. I change all the fluids every fall after about 15,000 miles and I use Amsoil in everything. I also have put about 20,000 of the miles pulling a Time Out camping trailer. Just maintain it and ride it hard and life will be good.

Have Fun
Rodger

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe
post #9 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Most of the people in the BMW community have years of riding experience, with allot of years riding other brands..... Harley's, Honda's, and such.......

Stop worrying about the bike and ride it!!!!! Any brand can break,, BMW's do not break anymore than the rest and allot less than some...............Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #10 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbots
Just picked up my 05 LT feb 3rd,17500 miles. After reading things on this site I'm half scared to ride it.
BE AFRAID!!.........BE VERY AFRAID!!!!!!

Naaahhh, just kiddin'.....couldn't resist stackin' poop on the new guy. The LT is a great bike. Many bikes have far more problems and rear drives are not difficult or terribly expensive to repair.....ride and enjoy!
post #11 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:48 pm

11k in the last 12 months; not one single problem! 29k on her now.

Enjoy the ride,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #12 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:08 pm

In 3 years I put 88K on my last LT, I had a rear end go out and the clutch oiled up twice. My thoughts then and now are, it's just a machine and its gonna break. Fix it and ride it like you stole!!! I've done that on all my other 4 wheels vehicles.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 9:09 pm

Two Beemers in my stable. Love them both. RT for solo riding and LT for when the Mrs. wants to tag along. Put 20K a year on the RT and about 15K a year on the LT. Ride them both all year round (thanks to heated suits). Do the scheduled maintenance on them each 6K, and forget about it. Your LT will most likely give you years and years of very reliable service.

As for the others? Sure there have been some very legitimate gripes about bikes breaking down early. I believe those folks, and they have my sympathy and support. But remember also, that for every one who writes about their problems, there are 10 or 20 out there who never write about their successes. Remember the old joke, the union steward came in and said they were going to get a $5.00 per hour raise, improved health insurance and they were only going to have to work on Thursdays. One old grizzled worker rose from his seat and scowled, "You mean EVERY $&#*[email protected]* Thursday?
post #14 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:42 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbots
Just picked up my 05 LT feb 3rd,17500 miles. After reading things on this site I'm half scared to ride it. Do these bikes ever run well without catastrophe failures with just normal maint done. Lets here some happy stories. Nice to be part of the club, I think?
They do just fine, don't let the screeching whiners scare you. I've had 3 LTs and have ridden the piss out of all of them and enjoyed every mile. I've experienced some of the main problems discussed ad nauseum on this site, but I got them fixed and kept on riding. It's a machine, and like anything with more than 1 part there is a potential for failure. Don't sweat it, just ride it!!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #15 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 3:31 am

Have an '03 and love it !!!! Had seal problems but had them fixed under extended warranty and just keep on riding it...

Don't worry unless you are in a situation that you really have something to be concerned about. Worry does nothing to help you. Just ride it and love it. There is nothing out there like it ....
post #16 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:38 am

I have a 04, and had the same thoughts you are having. Bought it last summer. I got it 3 weeks before I was to start a 3,500 mi trip out west.
After seeing all the FD threads & clutch threads I was paranoid about taking the trip. I pushed thru a instant membership to BMWOA so I could get the anonymous book. (you may want to join & get the book.) I stayed on interstate highways all the way out to ID. Thinking I did not want to be stranded away from larger cities. I had no problems at all.
The longer I went, the more I loved it (came from Honda VTX 1800) On the return I took all 2 lanes through the middle of no where. Did the 30,000 mi service last Fall. FD oil was clear, no metal flakes etc. It runs great.
Going out west (twice) this summer, all back roads.
I've just quit worrying about it. The LT is a great bike. Enjoy it.
If and when something breaks down, I'll get it fixed and keep riding. It's worth it.
Just my $.02 worth.
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #17 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:49 am

I agree...if you are going to worry about a bike breaking down...you shouldn't ride...too much stress.

I flew out to Denver last Fall and bought a '02 LT from a member and drove it back to Minnesota stopping in the Black Hills and took 2 lane roads all the way home. If she broke down...I know how to call for a service truck.
Never had a bike that did not break down somewhere, sometime!

Just do your maintanance and ......RIDE!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #18 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 2:35 pm

Some people are so paranoid,its a wonder they bother to get out of bed.

Just ride the bloody thing!
post #19 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Hey, Rbots,
fill in your profile, you'll feel better right away.

If you don't post again, we'll assume you have changed your address to BMW, K1200LT.

The truth is out there... you must ride to find it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 20 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 4:19 pm

Thumbs up

Have FUN and just Ride it. 92000 with no issues. Going to Nova Scotia in August from Fl. Will Have 125000 by then. When she breaks I will fix her and move on. Do ALL the regular maintenance and you will be fine.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in