side stand vs center stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

side stand vs center stand

I see a lot of LTs parked on the side stand more than the center stand. I use the center stand because it is easier for me to get off & on. My knees are not the best and being a little robust, it is easier. Any hints as to when to use one over the other? I know if you want to put in the max fuel, use the side stand. But what about other times. Is there some rule of thumb to go by? Thanks for the help. Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:28 pm

I think the LT came out with the hydro-electric center stand in '05. Push a button and the stand comes down, the bike goes up. My thought would be that the LT's you see on the side stand are possibly pre '05s and the owners just don't want to wrestle the machine up onto the center stand. Also there is the possibility that they are parked on ashalt. It's easy to put a "hockey puck" under the side stand to keep the bike from falling over. I haven't tried getting a support under the center stand. OK. I did once. It wasn't pretty. "Big Kitty" fell over. The board I used was a little too thick. You can be sure I won't try that again.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 36 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:10 pm

Interesting that you brought this up. I am still in the process of looking for a LT.
I was looking at an 03 that had cluth problems but the dealer sent it to BMW to have it fixed. I am not going to buy that one but went to test drive it again yesterday after the clutch was fixed. Alot of smoke initially when I started and then took off. The dealer ( not BMW ) said that is normal if you leave a BMW on the side stand because it allows oil into the engine. I seriously doubted that but agreed and left.

any truth to that?

post #4 of 36 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:16 pm

yes, parking your bike on the kick stand will allow oil into the cyllinders, BUT, if you shut the engine off and let the bike sit upright for about 20 seconds the oil will settle out and not usually leak into the cylinders. I like to use the kick stand most of the time. It is more stable that way. I once had a bike (Honda ST 1100) blow over in high winds while on the center stand.
post #5 of 36 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:22 pm

...and I forgot to mention, I also always pit it in gear when it is on the kick stand
post #6 of 36 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:32 pm

Yep, I can vouch for that too. We bought a 99LT with 41k in November. Didn't smoke on the test drive, but the day after we got it home, I thought we just made the biggest blunder having bought the bike. The smoke just billowed out and filled our entire driveway the next day when I first started it up.

I read up on all the posts about it on this forum. I now keep the bike upright for 30 seconds or so before parking it for the night, and use a board under the side stand as well. Haven't had a problem since. That was 1500 miles ago.

Ditto on keeping it in gear. Almost had it roll off the side stand twice, before I read about having to prevent it from rolling. DON'T rely on the shift indicator! More than once it showed being in first, let out the clutch to park and it rolled, still in neutral.

Might want to take a second look at the bike.
post #7 of 36 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:43 pm

Got an 02

Never use the center stand except to work on the bike. Kinda flat around here to... As others have said, make sure you roll it forwards or backwards before you put the stand down and get off.. Let the bike rest in first gear.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 3:43 am

You want to roll forward against first gear then lean it over. Backwards & it might still have enough slack to roll forward & fall.

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #9 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 4:31 am

I almost always use the side stand. I have owned the bike for going on 3 years. And it rolled off the sidestand once 2.5 years ago in a sloped parking lot when I left it in neutral. Always leave it in first gear and take up the slack and have never had a problem since. If I had an '05 or beyond, I am sure I would use the center stand. But, with an '03, it is just easier.

Rule of thumb that I follow: if the ground is iffy, I use the center stand.. Otherwise, I use the side stand.
post #10 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:46 am

I almost always use the center stand since my 07 has the powered one and it is more stable for getting on and off. I use it to park on a turntable in my garage every night and just spin it around to head out in the morning.

Regretted one time though. I parked in an open parking lot one day when we were having 50mph wind gusts. I'm a little short so I usually slide left to get my left foot on the ground to kick me off the center stand. Just as I kicked it off the center stand a big gust hit from the left and over she went.

Lessons learned:
1. I can pick it up my self.
2. if you can, park heading into the wind.
3 If can't do 2 then kick off stand with foot opposite wind.

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #11 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 6:54 am

Garage
I use the side stand.

With engine stopped and clutch out, I let it roll either forward or backward, whichever way "is downhill" until it stops. If there is no downhill, I roll it forward.

Then I lean it onto the stand.

Works like a charm.
post #12 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:14 am

depends upon the slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
You want to roll forward against first gear then lean it over. Backwards & it might still have enough slack to roll forward & fall.
Should have clarified my remarks. Only reverse when the slop is to the rear and that is rare... I think I got that right. Got to paint a picture....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:58 am

After having three near misses with the centerstand with my 02 - all at service stations filling up - I have learned my lessons.

So now I -

1) Always kill the engine with the side stand and in first gear.
2) Always stay on the bike when gassing her up at the station.
3) Always look for a parking spot with a slight uphill slant and park nose first.
4) Always (OK 95% of the time) put her on the centerstand after I get off.
5) I have a plastic sidestand support plate that I carry with me (the only HD accessory I own) and have used it on gravel but only as a last resort.

With so much practice putting her on and off the centerstand, I am pretty good at it. (I do find its easier when I weigh 200 lbs than when I am in svelt form)

Regards,
Skozar
post #14 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 9:21 am

Two other rules

Look out for either gravel, sand or wet spots when you put your foot down and watch out for cages backing up. I learned both the hard way!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 9:35 am

Center stand 90% if level/ flat enough. Side stand on uneven ground.
The side stand seems to me to not afford enough lean to keep it from going to the starboard side if someone (kids, wind, etc) were to get it going that way just a little bit. I haven't had a problem with that happening, but coming off a Harley which leans a whole lot more on the side stand (almost too much seems to me -- like something's gonna break) the LT has much less lean.

The advice on 1st gear is essential, as experience taught me the hard way.

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #16 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:58 am

Assuming I am on fairly level hard ground (asphalt or cement) I use the side stand. Always leave it in first, and let it roll into a stop (meaning, backward if facing slightly uphill, forward if slightly down).

I stay on the bike while removing helmet and gloves, which gives oil time to settle out. I never have smoke - unless I space out, and lean her over on the side stand too quickly, which is rare.

When garaged, she's always on the center stand.

I also always fill her up (to the bottom of the fill neck - DON'T overfill, but that's another string!) on the side stand because you can get a little more in without over filling.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Last edited by hallzee; Feb 4th, 2008 at 12:22 pm.
post #17 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydvicioustx
Interesting that you brought this up. I am still in the process of looking for a LT.
I was looking at an 03 that had cluth problems but the dealer sent it to BMW to have it fixed. I am not going to buy that one but went to test drive it again yesterday after the clutch was fixed. Alot of smoke initially when I started and then took off. The dealer ( not BMW ) said that is normal if you leave a BMW on the side stand because it allows oil into the engine. I seriously doubted that but agreed and left.

any truth to that?
Your Dealer was right ... I own a 05 LT and GT and both of them smoke if parked on the sidestand. This is apparently a trademark of the flying brick

I rarely leave any bike on the sidestand.

If you use the electric stand on the 05 and later models it is good to remember to pull the brake lever in tight when you mount or dismount.

My bike rolled off the center stand as I stood up to dismount and I just jumped clear ... narrowly missing getting my foot under that bumper

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #18 of 36 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 5:22 pm

People who have '05 and newer LT's use the center stand almost exclusively... But thats in my limited experience.... Me I have hardly ever used the side stand,,, The button is so cool ...Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #19 of 36 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skozar
After having three near misses with the centerstand with my 02 - all at service stations filling up - I have learned my lessons.

So now I -

1) Always kill the engine with the side stand and in first gear.
2) Always stay on the bike when gassing her up at the station.
3) Always look for a parking spot with a slight uphill slant and park nose first.
4) Always (OK 95% of the time) put her on the centerstand after I get off.
5) I have a plastic sidestand support plate that I carry with me (the only HD accessory I own) and have used it on gravel but only as a last resort.

With so much practice putting her on and off the centerstand, I am pretty good at it. (I do find its easier when I weigh 200 lbs than when I am in svelt form)

Regards,
Skozar
DO NOT fill the bike while on the center standd. The manual actually states that. For those that have not removed the can...that is one of the things that cause it to malfunction. ALWAYS FILL THE BIKE ON THE SIDE STAND.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #20 of 36 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 5:51 am

Re: side stand vs center stand

Hi All,
you must also remember that the hydraulic stand is problematic. There are plenty of reports about it failing. I have had this experience on my second LT model with this feature. With a €1000+ replacement cost, the side stand is a far cheaper option and far more reliable.

It's a terrible pity that there is a design weakness in the hydraulic stand and a pity that there's not an option when ordering the bike to have the older manual stand fitted instead

My opinion is that BMW have screwed up on this big time. The number of people reporting failures speak for themselves
post #21 of 36 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:09 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Don I only used the center stand. I know this is controversial comment but I believe the side stand is not safe to use and needs to be redesigned to better support such a big bike.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #22 of 36 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:16 am

I have a 04 and use the center stand almost exclusively. It's just not that hard to get it up on the center stand.
The only exception I make is filling her up. I always thought I was getting in a little more gas when on the side stand due to the angle of the bike.
Now I know I've been doing it the right way for the wrong reason..
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 36 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:22 am

Have only used the side stand and have not had smoking problems on start up; 30k miles if that matters.

Roll forward in gear, release clutch to get against the compression stroke and extend side stand.

Do not leave bike running with side stand down to take pictures of scenic drive if you are stopped heading down-hill.

Leave bike in-gear anytime it's parked.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #24 of 36 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:45 pm

Garage
Wink Re: side stand vs center stand

My side stand may as well be called the "fueling stand" because that is the only time it is used.

All parking, mount/dismount operations are done with the center stand. What's the point of spending $20k on a bike with a hydraulic center stand to use the side stand?

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #25 of 36 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracleitus
My side stand may as well be called the "fueling stand" because that is the only time it is used.

All parking, mount/dismount operations are done with the center stand. What's the point of spending $20k on a bike with a hydraulic center stand to use the side stand?
+1. Center stand is no big deal to use (02)and it is easier to get my leg over the back rest.(when on the center stand)

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #26 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:30 am

I use the side stand when out and about. I try to remember to shut the engine off and wait a few seconds to allow the oil to drain from the heads. When I can I use the center stand for prolonged parking. My thinking may be wrong but if I can relieve some of the beasts weight from the rear drive and give the suspension a break at the same time, might lead to a longer life for the scooter.
post #27 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:42 am

My bike spends very little time on the sidestand. Unless I am refueling, I almost always put it on the centerstand.

Part of the reason is to avoid the smoking-on-startup issue. I once owned a "finest year" 1985 K100. If you parked an early model Kbike on the sidestand, it would blow smoke like a mosquito fogger for seems like half a mile. It conditioned me to always park on the centerstand.

I have left it on the sidestand on a couple of occasions when it has been really windy.

I have a driver backrest on my bike. I find it easier to clear the backrest with my right foot if I step on the left peg first. That can be done on the sidestand but it feels strange.
post #28 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:07 am

Does the side stand smoke do any damage?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #29 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:40 am

I used to almost exclusively use the power center stand. I got a little concerned over burining it out, so I swapped to the side stand. I always use the side stand when filling up.

I cover mine with a little "halter-top" kind of cover. It only covers the top half or so of the bike. It was so windy the other day that the bike BLEW OVER (opposite the side stand). I suspect a sail-effect from the cover.

Now I'm 100% Centerstand. I'll figure how to rebuild the unit if it craps out.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #30 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:04 pm

John,

Must disagree with your comments about the power centre stand.

For someone who uses it on a regular basis, I have no complaints at all, quite the opposite.

Itīs one of the best extras that a bike this size could have.

Everybody ( 2 people ) I know who have had a problem, whatever it has been, has had the stand replaced by BMW at no cost.

Simon
post #31 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 2:02 pm

Talking Re: side stand vs center stand

I don't feel nearly as old as I am after reading all of this foolishness.

You guys are a bunch of grannys.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #32 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Does the side stand smoke do any damage?
Depends on how much you inhale....

-Scurrie

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #33 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrie
Depends on how much you inhale....

-Scurrie

NO NO I didn't inhale, I wanted to inhale, but couldn't

Now PLEASE Elect my wife

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #34 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 4:36 pm

My 05 has a side stand but i have never used it,i would rather do it the hard way by bushing the button for the center stand

Mike
73's ka0mlh

post #35 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:16 pm

Garage

I use the side stand, with bike in gear and rolled forward, almost exclusively. It usually does not smoke. On those rare occasions that I have seen it smoke, I pretend it's just a flashback to my days riding an '82 K75RT, or even further back to the '73 Suzuki Titan, which was supposed to smoke.
post #36 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:29 pm

Talking Re: side stand vs center stand

If people ask about the smoke just tell them the bike has a diesel engine

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in