Where do you suppose the oil's coming from? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Where do you suppose the oil's coming from?

Hello all,

Today I decided to put the JPEGs on my LT. The RT in down getting a spline lube and I was going to spend a few hours getting her back together, but the LT and I are going to Phoenix next week and I decided that I'd better get those JPEGs on for the trip. While laying on my back doing all the marking, and remarking for the installation, I noticed a drop of oil hit the ground. I chased it down to coming from the center stand bracket. I checked all around the oil drain plug and filter cover, and they all seem to be bone dry. While I was working on the pegs, another drop of oil came down. Back in it's normal spot in the garage, I noticed it's been leaking a few drops there as well.

My question to you is where you think it's coming from? While installing the Remus exhaust a few months ago, I did notice some oil weeping from the left side of the engine, but I didn't think enough to cause it to drip. I'm also concerned that it could be my rear engine seal, but my clutch isn't slipping, which I would expect.

It isn't a great big leak, as when I checked the oil level cold it is exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, in the middle of the sight glass.

I did check and it appears to be engine oil and not brake fluid (so not the slave cylinder). The only thing I haven't checked yet is the transmission plug. I had the trans fluid changed at Leo's South in MSP, and as you may recall from an earlier post, they pretty much managed to farg it up. Nothing I find would surprise me after that visit.

Now for vital statistics that you'll need to help me diagnose.

00 1200LT. 61,000 miles. There seems to be a rather large accumulation of oil on the center stand bracket under the bike. Could this be left over oil from the transmission fluid change from last November? The clowns there filled it with 75W140 even though I specifically asked for 75W90. The oil seems thin enough to be motor oil, but I guess on a cold day all the oil seems stiff. I really can't tell how dirty the oil is, because after running down the center stand brackets, it's picked up a fair amount of grime.

All input is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:05 pm

Oil source

I would try and clean the area around the tranny drain plug. It is under oil constantly and could drip even when not in use, Brake cleaner and a rag works fairly well for this. Normally tranny fluid has an odor that is totally different than engine oil.

The engine would not be leaking unless it had been run recently. I don,t think the engine oil has an opening to leak out unless some one drilled a drain hole in the clutch housing.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:11 pm

I would look really close at the cracks between the engine and transmission, as it looks like a oil seal in the trans or engine has gone bad. And next the clutch will go bad.

DON

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:52 pm

Are you sure it is oil?? The rear main seal is known for problems. I would have it checked immediately. If the clutch starts slipping, it is too late.
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Greg, here is a thread showing the engine rear main seal area weeping.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...64234#poststop
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 1:37 am
BDC

As Don says.....

Look closely where the transmission joins the engine - look for oil staining at the joins. It will be unmistakeable and easily noticed. If you do notice oil in this location, something is leaking into the bellhousing.

This could be engine oil from the main seal or transmission fluid from one of the tranny seals or even brake fluid if the slave has gone bad. (or a combination of two or three of these fluids)

Put some on your finger and sniff - if it has a strong almost sulphurous smell it is tranny fluid.

If you're lucky it could be a leak from the tranny drain plug.

Good luck - Chris
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 3:07 am

Another possibility, since you mentioned the left side of the engine leaking onto the center stand, is the engine output shaft seal. Mine started leaking as you say onto the center stand.. That would be a less expensive job then the rear main for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in