What did I screw up? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 8:35 am Thread Starter

What did I screw up?

Just finished a major service and on my ride yesterday noticed a significant hesitation when starting from a stop. The harder I accelerated, the worse it was even to the point of getting a small "pop" backfire a couple of times. Stalled it once when not paying enough attention. Generally clutch out at about 3K RPM when starting off.

Haven't cut the brown wire, so have experienced the hesitation in the hot months and this is similar, but more pronounced and it was only in the mid 50s yesterday on the ride, and have not experienced that hesitation previously except when the temps are high.

So, I've come up with some suspects, but not sure they are the right ones or how I could figure out which one to chase without tearing it apart and doing the service all over again.

Bad fuel - did I just get a bad batch of fuel in the tank?
Bad fuel filter - I actually took the tank off and had the dealer install the fuel filter, so would think they did it right, but perhaps not, or the filter itself is bad.
I'm pretty sure I got all the hoses hooked up correctly, but perhaps not.
I have not overfilled it, but perhaps gas got in the canister, have not performed the canisterectomy. Would this be a symptom?
Spark plugs. The backfire makes me think suspect a timing or spark issue, but at idle or revving on the side stand, don't hear anything abnormal, only hesitation seems to be under load.

Oh collective wisdom, where do I start?

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:09 am

Check the throttle cables where they go into the threaded adjuster. Seen it before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:50 am

When you say ... major service... just what did you do ? More info would help, could be pinched fuel line under the tank. But more info would help.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:33 am

Check that the plug wires are all on snug. I had one not fully engaged to the plug and it caused similar problems. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
When you say ... major service... just what did you do ? More info would help, could be pinched fuel line under the tank. But more info would help.
Checked valve clearance
Replaced plugs
Replace brake fluid (had dealer do)
Replace clutch fluid (had dealer do)
Replace air filter
Replace fuel filter
Change oil and filter
Change transmission fluid
Change final drive fluid
I think that's about it.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
Check that the plug wires are all on snug. I had one not fully engaged to the plug and it caused similar problems. -Chuck-
Will do - thanks.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:43 pm

Could be a bad spark plug (or gap?) too. It happens.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 2:37 pm

Joel, if it comes to it. You might disconnect battery, reconnect and turn on key then turn throttle wide open and back to stop a couple of times. To reset throttle control.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #9 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 3:39 pm

sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. Check all your vacuum hoses especially under the left fairing.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 6th, 2008, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
Well, I think that was it. When I checked them, I was able to pull one off with my fingers - definitely not right. Storming out right now, so won't be able to test it until tomorrow, but hopefully that is the cure. Would have sworn I double checked all those - but who knows. Thanks.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:27 am Thread Starter

That was the fix - all is well again. What I can't believe is how well the bike ran on only 3 cylinders with only the hesitation under hard acceleration. Thanks for the help.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
That was the fix - all is well again. What I can't believe is how well the bike ran on only 3 cylinders with only the hesitation under hard acceleration. Thanks for the help.
Glad all is well Joel. Yes, the LT runs amazingly well at highway speed on 3 cylinders. I lost a cylinder during "The Void" 26 hr rally at about hour 5, and went another 900 mi. on 3 cylinder operation and was able to finish. If you have any recurrence of the problem, replace the plug wire, mine had burnt a hole through the rubber insulation and was grounding to the metal sleeve on the outside of the wire. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in