Newbie Service Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Newbie Service Questions

Hello,
I've been lurking around this site for about 2 months now. Great information can be sought after here from alot of talented people. I have bought a new to me 2003 LT (got what seams to me a good deal). The bike has 17,500 miles on it and came with no owners manual. I only had a chance to put about 100 miles on it before I stored it for the winter (great ride). I would like to have it serviced before the spring. I researched the service records on it and it only has had the 600 mile check up, 2 recall services completed,rear tire 2 times and front tire once (front & rear recently), new brakes and battery. The oil has been changed 4 times. It seams like no other fluids were changed. I have received quotes from 2 dealers and 1 BMW mechanic that operates out of his garage. I was quoted $1,100.00 $1,097.00 and $1,027.00 to change out all fluids, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter and throttle cable (seems tough to twist). Does this seem reasonable? Is there anything else I should be concerned with? I would like to learn to do some of this work myself. Maybe get in on a tech session local.
Previous ride and still own 98 GL1500.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:07 pm

That quote seems resonable from what I hear on this board. I would see if you can hook up with some people around you and get a tech session and save you a boat load of money. See if it is possible to drill your weep holes so you don't have to worry about that. You will need a modified 30mm socket to do this. There are a few pictures around here if you want to make your own, also a great right up on how the weep hole procedure is done.

Have fun with the bike when you are able to get it out.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
That quote seems resonable from what I hear on this board. I would see if you can hook up with some people around you and get a tech session and save you a boat load of money. See if it is possible to drill your weep holes so you don't have to worry about that. You will need a modified 30mm socket to do this. There are a few pictures around here if you want to make your own, also a great right up on how the weep hole procedure is done.

Have fun with the bike when you are able to get it out.
Thanks for the info. I would like to drill the weep hole when I get the chance

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:04 am

When you said new brakes, did you also mean flushing the brake fluid with those new brakes? All circuits should be flushed every 4 years regardless of mileage. On your '03 you have servo assisted and linked abs brakes. They can build up condensation in the lines. BMW use to say every 2 years but recently updated it to 4 years. That would have been last year for you if it was never done...
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:13 am

One of the first accessories I bought was a service manual.
It explains the simplest to the most complicated procedures.

It's not cheap, but the payback period is one service interval!

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:21 am

Bob,

Thanks for the update on the brake fluid change. My 2006 manual says annually, which I thought was too often. At 2 years my fluid still looks like new, but was thinking about changing it. Where did you learn it has been increased to 4 years? How about the clutch fluid? My manual says every 2 years and it still looks new.
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:48 am

Tim,

Martin at BMW of Denver mentioned it to me a a couple of months ago... Not sure about the clutch fluid
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
When you said new brakes, did you also mean flushing the brake fluid with those new brakes? All circuits should be flushed every 4 years regardless of mileage. On your '03 you have servo assisted and linked abs brakes. They can build up condensation in the lines. BMW use to say every 2 years but recently updated it to 4 years. That would have been last year for you if it was never done...
I do not believe the fluid was changed when the brakes were done. I have also been looking into the service manual and cd.
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:06 pm

It's usually good to have "local" friends... even on the LT family.. ask around and you'll find some who can help

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Changing gearbox oil may be a bit challenging. Engine oils is fairly easy. rear drive oil is very easy to change. I've done all these, but would not suggest to someone with no mechanical experience.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. The first time around I am going to have a dealer do the changing of all fluids and throttle cable. While they have it apart I'll have them do a look around and check for any possible work needed. I am going to purchase a manual on the bike. I enjoy learning and working on my vehicles to a certain point.
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Manual and Video

I just went thru similar issues re manuals, etc. cause I got a 2001 LT in October 2007 (after 23 years on a Yahama Venture). I found two excellent sources of technical information. First are the Paul Sayegh video tapes. Cover all the basics, oil changes, tupperware removal, brakes, etc. They are excellent. Paul has a website you can get them from. Second is a factory manual, which from the Dealer is $$ but you can get them from eBay (CD, not paper copy) for about $3 - $6. Probably illegal copy though. Also, I highly recommend the CLYMER book on the BMW LT. I just picked one up, based on info I got from this site, and it is really excellent. Will list for about $50 but you can usually get it discounted for about $30 or so. Finally look at the Hall of Wisdon on this site for technical information. And the articles (Oil Changing 101 for example) on this site. Best of luck.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 9:29 pm

... copy ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully2028
..... Probably illegal copy though. .... Best of luck.
Please, do NOT support illegal copying. Yes, the "Genuine" costs lots more than "stolen"... buy the Clymer and save your honor.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 5:26 am

Thesed will give you the confidance to work on the bike yourself. Worth every $
http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/service-video.htm

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #15 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2008, 6:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Bob,

Thanks for the update on the brake fluid change. My 2006 manual says annually, which I thought was too often. At 2 years my fluid still looks like new, but was thinking about changing it. Where did you learn it has been increased to 4 years? How about the clutch fluid? My manual says every 2 years and it still looks new.
I wouldn't want to leave it 4 years. As you may know, brake fluid is hygroscopic and you could find that out when you need your brakes the most. The water boils under pressure, makes steam, no brakes.

If the brake system is tested after the crash, there will appear to be no fault with it.

Just pussin' through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in