Valves adjusted from 6k to 60k miles? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Valves adjusted from 6k to 60k miles?

I am looking to see how often you have found it necessary to adjust the valves between 6k and 60k miles, and were they any that were more than 1 or 2 thousandths out? Is there a point where it is not that likely they need further adjustment? Thanks!

Last edited by yechave; Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:28 am. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:59 am

Valves settle in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I am looking to see how often you have found it necessary to adjust the valves between 6k and 60k miles, and were they any that were more than 1 or 2 thousandths out? Is there a point where it is not that likely they need further adjustment? Thanks!
I had several intake valves that were slightly out of spec (tight) at my 60K inspection.

I don't think you can rely on them not changing after a certain mileage, if that's what your thinking. Are you hoping that you won't have to check them after a certain mileage? Personally, I wouldn't risk doing that, checking according to BMW's recommended intervals is probably a good idea.

I have checked mine according to the recommended sched and have never had one that was far off. IIRC none were ever too loose, always on the tight side, and were brought into spec by going to the next thinner "bucket".
post #3 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:16 pm

Wayne ,

Last winter Jan. of 07 I set all I & E valves at the loose end of spec. By August of 07 and 24K later a recheck revealed 0 change. Yesterday I checked the valve spec still no change. The odometer has over 130K and My spec did not budge in over 34,000 miles.
Seems to be stable, I will check at 24K intervals, 12K intervals come to soon.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:16 pm
Banned

I think on my 137,000 mile 2000 K1200LT, the valves were adjusted early on by my dealer at maybe at 6,000 or 12,000 miles. I then checked them myself at 12,000 and eventually 20,000 mile intervals and they never needed adjustment. But I think that is not the norm.
post #5 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:45 pm

I have 28k with no adjustments required.. still "in spec" across the board.

Now, I do not "high rev" without a load on the engine... do not do WOT just to hear it "sing".... no "throttle blipping".... etc... not that this type of activity damages the bike... just part of how I operate my bike.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:51 pm

Valve Adjustment

When I had my first valve check, the technician commented that it appeared to him that I did not ride the bike hard.

I asked him how he could tell and he explained that all the valves were in spec and as long as I continued to ride conservatively, i.e., no burn-outs, wheelies, stoppies or jack-rabbit starts, I could pretty much expect the valves to remain in spec for the duration.

FWIIW

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #7 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 1:56 pm

I did a valve adjustment on five valves for the first time at about 125k and none were more than a thousandth out of spec. I find this simply amazing. I have owned VW's Porsches and plenty of motorcycles that would not go more than 3k without adjustment.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

I ride very conservatively. While I have no idea what services have been done, the original owner towed a trailer and I would assume he put on the most miles and I hope did the valves when suggested. I am about the fourth owner from what I can tell. The last guy had it for six months and did very little service.

It has 42k now. I intend to take it apart come spring (probably will have another 1500 miles on it by then) and change the fuel and air filters, charcoal canister (as a precaution, and don't want to remove it), check the vacuum hoses,install wiring for aux lights (not sure what yet), make or buy a mount for the Magellan Crossover to go on the Stingray or get the Copilot shelf (anyone has a used one PM me please), & change both shocks. The motor sounds good and runs really well. We will have around $10k in this at this point.

I did not want to take it apart to check the valves to find it then needed to go to the dealer anyway to adjust them. Don't need the expense and did not want to deal with the long wait to get an appointment. I never had to adjust the valves on any other bike I owned, that I can recall.

Greatly appreciate the replies. I feel a bit more confident believing it should be good for at least another 12k before I check the valves. If I last that long, I will be pleased.

Thanks!
post #9 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave

I did not want to take it apart to check the valves to find it then needed to go to the dealer anyway to adjust them. Don't need the expense and did not want to deal with the long wait to get an appointment. I
Beleive me, if you get as far as checking the valves, you are almost there. I have done it, and I am no grease monkey. All you then need to calculate is what size buckets you have in there, what you need in there and put the new ones in. Very little expense compared to what you will be spending if it all goes pear shaped.
Mind you, has anyone know of a damaged engine because their valves were not checked?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #10 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 5:02 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

When I talked to my Service Manager on this topic and expense at 12,000 he said do not worry about it. At 12,000 we will go over it and listen with a stethoscope and if it sounds fine go to the 18,000 and do it then.

This is why I like this Dealer because he also feels the BMW maintenance schedule is aggressive, and believes that listening, checking the fluids well when drained, visual inspection, and how I feel the bike is running a better gage of maintenance. He told me flat out he will do what he feels in his opinion needs done, and if breaks in warranty, he will fix it, period.

I would think the biggest issue, that I was not aware of until someone on this Forum posted is the LT valves wear tight.

Now a loose valve you can hear pretty well.

I am not totally sure of what symptom (s) of a tight valve would be?

What, combustion wise, would a tight valve create?

I assume that a tight valve is one that is dropping farther into the cylinder, thus getting closer to being able to strike a piston?

I want to get the first one out at the dealer, but from then on I would like to do it. As others have said 12,000 is pretty quick and I sure can live with 18-24,000 checks if it seems safe to do so.

I guess on a used bike you have to do it once to see where you are as a point of referance anyway.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
When I talked to my Service Manager on this topic and expense at 12,000 he said do not worry about it. At 12,000 we will go over it and listen with a stethoscope and if it sounds fine go to the 18,000 and do it then.

This is why I like this Dealer because he also feels the BMW maintenance schedule is aggressive, and believes that listening, checking the fluids well when drained, visual inspection, and how I feel the bike is running a better gage of maintenance. He told me flat out he will do what he feels in his opinion needs done, and if breaks in warranty, he will fix it, period.

I would think the biggest issue, that I was not aware of until someone on this Forum posted is the LT valves wear tight.

Now a loose valve you can hear pretty well.

I am not totally sure of what symptom (s) of a tight valve would be?

What, combustion wise, would a tight valve create?

I assume that a tight valve is one that is dropping farther into the cylinder, thus getting closer to being able to strike a piston?

I want to get the first one out at the dealer, but from then on I would like to do it. As others have said 12,000 is pretty quick and I sure can live with 18-24,000 checks if it seems safe to do so.

I guess on a used bike you have to do it once to see where you are as a point of referance anyway.
Tight valve clearance is only a couple thousandths, so has no bearing whatsoever on valve to piston clearance. Tight exhaust valves however, can cause premature burning of the valve/seat, which when started will cause valve work to be needed far ahead of normal, which is probably well in access of 250,000 miles if kept adjusted properly.

The reason is that all solid lifter cams are ground with "clearance ramps" which take up the normal clearance fairly slowly until all the clearance is out, then rapidly open the valve. That is to reduce both impact damage and noise. If the valves are allowed to run below normal clearance range, the valve starts to open slowly (relative) on the clearance ramp before being opened on the fast opening ramp. This slow opening causes hot exhaust gasses to blast through the tiny gap at ultransonic speed for much longer than in normal valve opening, and that starts to erode the seating surfaces. Those very tiny, microscopic size erosion pits then fairly rapidly enlarge until you have a noticeable valve leak, which progresses quickly to badly burned valves and seats requiring a valve job.

The valves and seats in the LT engine must be pretty darned robust though, becausee for the several years I have been on this site, I don't recall anyone requiring a valve job! Maybe because we usually preach "don't let your valves run tight!", and most heed the warnings.

Loose valves are not as much of a problem, but on the LT engine (or any cam over valve design) the normal pattern is for them to wear tight, not loose.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 29 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 7:13 pm

Checked them myself at 12K and 24K, they have barely moved but still in spec.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 29 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 8:14 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you VERY much on that explanation.

I was assbackwards.

I understand now that it is the valve not opening enough. And because of the overhead cam on the buckets wearing on the buckets not opening the valve to it's full throw. Which how far is that in one of these? I mean how far doest the valve open into the cylinder?

I also now see how the valve seats would wear by not allowing the full fill by the valve being short, and I would think on exhaust not allow all the spent gasses out, and overheating that seat. Intake I think would be poor gas mileage, not getting proper air fuel mix, and dropping the gas out of suspension.

Also I see it would seem to depend on which valve, exhaust or intake as to how it would affect combustion.

Seems pretty complicated on a 4 valve a cylinder bike. It also confirms to me that a proper valve check will be the ONLY way to know.

Again I thank you for the education it is valued, and helps me grasp the mechanical aspects of this motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Tight valve clearance is only a couple thousandths, so has no bearing whatsoever on valve to piston clearance. Tight exhaust valves however, can cause premature burning of the valve/seat, which when started will cause valve work to be needed far ahead of normal, which is probably well in access of 250,000 miles if kept adjusted properly.

The reason is that all solid lifter cams are ground with "clearance ramps" which take up the normal clearance fairly slowly until all the clearance is out, then rapidly open the valve. That is to reduce both impact damage and noise. If the valves are allowed to run below normal clearance range, the valve starts to open slowly (relative) on the clearance ramp before being opened on the fast opening ramp. This slow opening causes hot exhaust gasses to blast through the tiny gap at ultransonic speed for much longer than in normal valve opening, and that starts to erode the seating surfaces. Those very tiny, microscopic size erosion pits then fairly rapidly enlarge until you have a noticeable valve leak, which progresses quickly to badly burned valves and seats requiring a valve job.

The valves and seats in the LT engine must be pretty darned robust though, becausee for the several years I have been on this site, I don't recall anyone requiring a valve job! Maybe because we usually preach "don't let your valves run tight!", and most heed the warnings.

Loose valves are not as much of a problem, but on the LT engine (or any cam over valve design) the normal pattern is for them to wear tight, not loose.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 29 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Thank you VERY much on that explanation.

I was assbackwards.

I understand now that it is the valve not opening enough. And because of the overhead cam on the buckets wearing on the buckets not opening the valve to it's full throw. Which how far is that in one of these? I mean how far doest the valve open into the cylinder?
You still are a bit Lee. The valve seat is what wears on the LT not the bucket. As the seat wears the valve stem is now "approaching" the bucket and if close enough it will not fully seat - thus burn more valve seat away. That is why the valves wear tight rather than loose.

Think of it as the valve is not closing enough. Hope this clears it up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #15 of 29 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:50 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You still are a bit Lee. The valve seat is what wears on the LT not the bucket. As the seat wears the valve stem is now "approaching" the bucket and if close enough it will not fully seat - thus burn more valve seat away. That is why the valves wear tight rather than loose.

Think of it as the valve is not closing enough. Hope this clears it up.
Got it................

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #16 of 29 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:00 pm

Still good.

Had my 99 LT checked at 50,000 miles and still good. No adjustment needed

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #17 of 29 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:15 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
Had my 99 LT checked at 50,000 miles and still good. No adjustment needed
Have you owned it since new?

I ask because I wonder if in it's life it had them checked or adjusted?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #18 of 29 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 8:19 am

Thumbs up 2nd Owner

I'm the second owner, but I called the shop that sold the bike to the original owner, Bob's BMW, and they went over the service records with me. Other then fluids, filters and some of the normal wear and tear stuff, that's all that been done to the bike.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #19 of 29 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 2:58 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

That is great and encouraging news for sure.

Good for you.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #20 of 29 Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 4:10 pm

Unless Raffy had to do a bucket swap on old Red Rover before he sold her to me, mine were in spec until we went down in September at 124k miles.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 3:38 am

Took my 2000 in for service back in July of 05 shortly after purchase. Had 58,000 on him. Two owners prior to me, kept all receipts etc.

Was introduced to the upcoming CCR then and didn't have anytime to get familiar with repairs on the bike, so I took it to my local (Long Beach BMW Moto Dealer), had them go through head to toe. Valdi was the Master Mechanic at that time, great guy, walked and talked me through much to get familiar.

According to receipts, Malcom Smith Motorsports in Riverside,Ca. supposedly checked valve clearances 6 months earlier, said everything was fine.

Valdie said... Well, lets not say what he said, but rather showed me just how far out of spec they were.

Prior riders to me were a CHP Motor, and a Edison Helo Operator. I'm guessing the CHP owner was the tougher rider of the two.

Once the adjustments were made, WOW, what a difference.

I'm a more concervative rider most of the time. Will likely check my clearances before the upcoming 2008 CCR and try and remember to post back with an update to see what the differences are.
post #22 of 29 Old May 19th, 2009, 6:40 am

Re: Valves adjusted from 6k to 60k miles?

I've got 42k miles on mine since I bought her new in 2002 and have always had mine checked at 12k intervals. The've never been off spec.
post #23 of 29 Old May 19th, 2009, 7:16 am

36k with no bucket changes needed.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #24 of 29 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:01 am

The replies to this post beg the question: Is it more likely that the costs of recommended valve checks might on average exceed the cost of an eventual valve job? Most posters seem to have never seen a valve out of adjustment on their LT after the first 6000 mile check.

I know this is heresy, but with oil changes and absolutely necessary repairs , I have never paid a dealer or mechanic for recommended trips to the shop on cars or bikes. I do not pay a huge amount of money when my car reaches 36,000 miles for a routine that includes crap like "lubricate door hinges" and other fluff. This does not impact warranty coverage and I usually replace my cars after 150000 miles. Of course, if I have tire wear I do alignment, all fluids are changed at my liberal intervals and if it breaks, I fix it.

In my opinion, much "routine maintenance" is getting taken for a ride, and not the good kind.. I admit, I am not an expert, but I sure do have a lot of miles on my LT!
post #25 of 29 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:08 am

Recently had a tech session up here and replaced 2 intake and one exhaust. All one size tight. 2003 LT 23,500 miles.
post #26 of 29 Old May 19th, 2009, 9:13 am

Mine didn't need anything till 48K then it needed only one bucket swapped on #1 Exhaust valve.

Tight valves can also cause poor starting due to decreased vacuum/ compression.

Just check them every 12K and around 50 or so you'll probably need some kind of adjustment.

I rode mine fairly aggressivly. Now having said that, Nothing like some of these guys ride.
I'm talking about YOU, Jimbo Wilson.
That man rides an LT harder and faster than anyone I know, for sure.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #27 of 29 Old May 19th, 2009, 11:26 am

First shims I ever paid for were for the 02 KLT at the 120k mile service, those shims sure are expensive!!

Mechanics didn't seem to worry about it much. But, when you need it, get it, made a huge difference on my bike in the running dept, but I knew it was going out a bit when I took it in, just by the way it was running.
post #28 of 29 Old May 19th, 2009, 5:34 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I just checked mine a while back in a Easton PA Tech Session. Big shout out for that session and great people.

14,000 I have 3 exhaust on the .010 which is the tight end of the limit, and 2 intakes at .060 so I will check again around 24-28,000 and see if they got any tighter.

If those had not been that close I probably would not have checked again until 36,000.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #29 of 29 Old May 20th, 2009, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I just checked mine a while back in a Easton PA Tech Session. Big shout out for that session and great people.

14,000 I have 3 exhaust on the .010 which is the tight end of the limit, and 2 intakes at .060 so I will check again around 24-28,000 and see if they got any tighter.

If those had not been that close I probably would not have checked again until 36,000.
I'm with Lee on the great people at the Easton Tech Session - I did my valves there too. I only had one intake at the lower limit, rest of them were middle of the range at 48K.

I'll be needing to do my 60K in August after I get back from Alaska, am thinking that I will be pulling at least one cam at that time.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in