Slave cylinder, final drive early warning signs???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 7:33 am Thread Starter

Slave cylinder, final drive early warning signs????

Hey Guys,
I have an 04 LT with 26k on it and am starting to get a bit "anxious" from reading all the posts on here regarding slave cylinder and final drive problems on the LT's. What are the early warning signs of problems with these two areas? I would hate to be a "long ways down the road" when either of these fail on me. It seems like these problems are almost inevitable. I love the bike but the number of, and expense of potential problems and routine maintenance is potentially a lot more than I expected.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by loser; Feb 1st, 2008 at 9:27 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:09 am

Smile

Don't feel anxious. Most of us never had the much publicized issue even with high mileage. Ride you bike and enjoy the heck out of it.

If you get involved doing your own maintenance you may want to tackle some of the preventive tasks, especially if you are high mileage rider. Tech sessions are fun and save you a bundle.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:51 am

Most of those who know the LT best suggest drilling a weep hole as soon as you can and certainly the Clutch Slave Cylinder should be changed as preventative maintenance at around 40k. Personally, I would change the Input Shaft Seal (output side - just in front of the slave) at the same time.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

which tech manual.....

I will probably do much of my own maintenance. I have done most ofthe work on my HD's over the years but am totally unfamiliar with the LT. Which service/tech manual do you guys reccomend for an "LT virgin"....
Thanks,
Steve
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 3:45 pm

Look for the Clymer, available on amazon.com Here, and also the Paul Sayegh videos Here.
Also check your local tech sessions, which are a great way to learn from members who dunnit and also to make new friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser
I will probably do much of my own maintenance. I have done most ofthe work on my HD's over the years but am totally unfamiliar with the LT. Which service/tech manual do you guys reccomend for an "LT virgin"....
Thanks,
Steve

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 16 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 4:41 pm

Gilles is right! Get the Clymer and if you are a novice, certainly get the DVD's. I have both the BMW manual and the Clymer and the Clymer has more detailed instructions (based on an actual teardown). Has more pictures too!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 7:07 am

Quote:
Hey Guys,
I have an 04 LT with 26k on it and am starting to get a bit "anxious" from reading all the posts on here regarding slave cylinder and final drive problems on the LT's. What are the early warning signs of problems with these two areas? I would hate to be a "long ways down the road" when either of these fail on me. It seems like these problems are almost inevitable. I love the bike but the number of, and expense of potential problems and routine maintenance is potentially a lot more than I expected.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve: Thankfully, I don't know about the signs and symptoms of final drive failure. The clutch is another story!

I have a 2006 K1200LT with 24K+ on her now. At 16K I noticed some slipping in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear when aggressively getting on her. (Tach showed an increase and speedometer/bike slow to respond). Long story short. Leaking seal caused lubricant to infiltrate onto the clutch plate. Dealer replaced all needed parts.

No additional problems to date.

v/r

AL

AL BOBST
BMWMOA # 123333
06 K1200LT

86 K100RT
74 KZ-1
68 305 Yamaha
USAF CMSgt (R)

post #8 of 16 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 8:10 am
Disturbed Member

The warning signs for an impending read drive failure are not many if you get something at all.

For me it was a speed dependand rough running. in the rear that was not the tire. I was/am in tune with my bike and I knew exactly how a worn tire feels, or how different types of asphalt feel, ...

The rear drive on mine failed at around 18k and would I have less miles on her I would not have been able to tell anything is wrong. From the first signs to absolute failure took about 200 miles.Some say they had no warning on the rear drive or much less.
post #9 of 16 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereman
Steve: Thankfully, I don't know about the signs and symptoms of final drive failure. The clutch is another story!

I have a 2006 K1200LT with 24K+ on her now. At 16K I noticed some slipping in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear when aggressively getting on her. (Tach showed an increase and speedometer/bike slow to respond). Long story short. Leaking seal caused lubricant to infiltrate onto the clutch plate. Dealer replaced all needed parts.

No additional problems to date.

v/r

AL
The last couple weeks before the rear drive failure on my 02 LT, it felt like a flat tire.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #10 of 16 Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:23 am

Slave cylinder, final drive early warning signs????

I think 04 Model had one of the lowest rear drive failure rates.

Matt Kas
04 Black LT

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Steve

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #11 of 16 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:37 am Thread Starter

Fingers crossed....

I changed my FD oil yesterday and I think it looked very clean with no noticeable metal flakes, particles. Thanks for the info guys.......

Steve
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 7:43 am

Exclamation Check the CLUTCH FLUID Reserve on the Handle Bar?

Seems like I remember reading about this previously and wondered if there would be an indication of less fluid showing on the indicator viewing window. Would it be practical to actually mark it with a grease pencil, the level at a known location (like your garage) and just keep an eye on it. Would there be enough warning if the level dropped? Does it actually start to drop at the reservoir?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:06 am

Being one of the newest to the LT family I'm not sure I'd notice any difference in feel. This is a good question Dan.

I did put almost 400 miles on it since I got it 2 days ago.
Hip

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #14 of 16 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:11 am

Thinking of drilling mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip001
Being one of the newest to the LT family I'm not sure I'd notice any difference in feel. This is a good question Dan.

I did put almost 400 miles on it since I got it 2 days ago.
Hip
Not quite ready to pull the trigger, but with 37,000 miles, it's probably time to drill the hole. It sure would be nice if just a drop in fluid level were a good indicator. I generally check the break and clutch reserve before most rides. It is very easy, but a slight drop, without a mark on the window would be hard the detect.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 16 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

A drop in fluid is a good indicator of a leak, I just don't think it is good enough as damage could already be done by the time you notice it. Better to have the weep hole and check it regularly.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 16 Old Feb 4th, 2008, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
A drop in fluid is a good indicator of a leak, I just don't think it is good enough as damage could already be done by the time you notice it. Better to have the weep hole and check it regularly.
I was hoping that wasn't the case. Drilling the hole seems to be pretty easy. Getting it ready to drill and reassembling seems to be the task!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in