BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Think Ill just ride her

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  wrmoss 
#1 ·
I went out and bought a 00 LT with 15000 miles on her in December. I test rode her for about an hour and loved it. It wa 25 degrees out and I had to turn the grip heaters down my hands were so hot!! Now she sits in my garage next to my HD 03 Low Rider waiting for spring to come. The worst thing that has happened to me so far is me finding this web site. Between hearing about the rear drive problems, slave units that have to be replaced or face major clutch damage, and shifter linkage that just falls off, Im beginning to question BMWs reputation for quality. I think come spring Ill just ride her and hope for the best unless someone convinces me to do otherwise. It is a beautiful bike. Good to meet you all!!

#2 ·
dbyer58 said:
I went out and bought a 00 LT with 15000 miles on her in December. I test rode her for about an hour and loved it. It wa 25 degrees out and I had to turn the grip heaters down my hands were so hot!! Now she sits in my garage next to my HD 03 Low Rider waiting for spring to come. The worst thing that has happened to me so far is me finding this web site. Between hearing about the rear drive problems, slave units that have to be replaced or face major clutch damage, and shifter linkage that just falls off, Im beginning to question BMWs reputation for quality. I think come spring Ill just ride her and hope for the best unless someone convinces me to do otherwise. It is a beautiful bike. Good to meet you all!!
David I would not worry about thing that you can not control. Rear drive can and some will last forever.Drill a weap hole to drain the fluid if your slave cyl goes out so it will not hurt clutch. Get a spare shift linkage to keep on the bike. Then RIDE THE PISS OUTA IT :dance:

#3 ·
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

#5 ·
Dbyer is correct! All the stress about something that "might" happen is not needed. I choose to be informed in case it does happen but not gonna keep me from putting the fist in the wind! Besides when you're on the LT the stars align, the heavens open up, and ALL IS GOOD!

Dave, I like the PMS comment!

#7 ·
Concerns About Lt

I have always loved my ride and had maybe a little unrealistic hope that it was never going to have major problems until I lost my slave cylinder at 15000 miles. It was upsetting I'll confess after laying down nearly 21.000 bucks for this beauty, I let it get to me even more when I found this web site and began to read about the other big issue FD failures. Some of the guys here smacked me up side the head,thanks I needed it! to a point for my over reaction and needless fears. I've just been riding it and enjoying it again doing all I can to keep it in good running condition and hopefully it will be one of those that makes it to 60 or 80 thousand before it needs a FD or another clutch slave cylinder. But you have purchased an older unit and probably did not drop the big bucks like many of us have so when or if it needs some work save a little between now and then and hopefully all will go well for you. If and when something goes wrong then you like all of us will have to decide either to sell or fix and keep. May you enjoy it until then and may the road be kind to you as you rip it up!

#8 ·
I have been patiently waiting for someone to get so upset with one of the known failures happening to him that he wants to dump the bike cheap, unrepaired. So far though, after some teeth gnashing, and wailing, the victims usually get the bike fixed and after getting back on the road realize it was not so bad as to make them want to give up all the good the LT offers.

Good for them, bad for me. :histerica

#10 ·
I love something Mark Twain said,

"Some really bad things happened in my life...and some of them really happened." Ride...ride and ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.