Think Ill just ride her - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Think Ill just ride her

I went out and bought a 00 LT with 15000 miles on her in December. I test rode her for about an hour and loved it. It wa 25 degrees out and I had to turn the grip heaters down my hands were so hot!! Now she sits in my garage next to my HD 03 Low Rider waiting for spring to come. The worst thing that has happened to me so far is me finding this web site. Between hearing about the rear drive problems, slave units that have to be replaced or face major clutch damage, and shifter linkage that just falls off, Im beginning to question BMWs reputation for quality. I think come spring Ill just ride her and hope for the best unless someone convinces me to do otherwise. It is a beautiful bike. Good to meet you all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 7:42 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyer58
I went out and bought a 00 LT with 15000 miles on her in December. I test rode her for about an hour and loved it. It wa 25 degrees out and I had to turn the grip heaters down my hands were so hot!! Now she sits in my garage next to my HD 03 Low Rider waiting for spring to come. The worst thing that has happened to me so far is me finding this web site. Between hearing about the rear drive problems, slave units that have to be replaced or face major clutch damage, and shifter linkage that just falls off, Im beginning to question BMWs reputation for quality. I think come spring Ill just ride her and hope for the best unless someone convinces me to do otherwise. It is a beautiful bike. Good to meet you all!!
David I would not worry about thing that you can not control. Rear drive can and some will last forever.Drill a weap hole to drain the fluid if your slave cyl goes out so it will not hurt clutch. Get a spare shift linkage to keep on the bike. Then RIDE THE PISS OUTA IT

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 6:11 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 6:51 am

Smile

99.9% of the paranoia about the LT is on this web site. Just kick the tires and lite the fire.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 7:14 am

Dbyer is correct! All the stress about something that "might" happen is not needed. I choose to be informed in case it does happen but not gonna keep me from putting the fist in the wind! Besides when you're on the LT the stars align, the heavens open up, and ALL IS GOOD!

Dave, I like the PMS comment!

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 7:27 am

I think I have had all 3 big $$ items go on me in the time I have had the bike.
Why do I still have it?
Cos it's only money and money don't put a smile on your face like the LT does!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 7:51 am

Smile Concerns About Lt

I have always loved my ride and had maybe a little unrealistic hope that it was never going to have major problems until I lost my slave cylinder at 15000 miles. It was upsetting I'll confess after laying down nearly 21.000 bucks for this beauty, I let it get to me even more when I found this web site and began to read about the other big issue FD failures. Some of the guys here smacked me up side the head,thanks I needed it! to a point for my over reaction and needless fears. I've just been riding it and enjoying it again doing all I can to keep it in good running condition and hopefully it will be one of those that makes it to 60 or 80 thousand before it needs a FD or another clutch slave cylinder. But you have purchased an older unit and probably did not drop the big bucks like many of us have so when or if it needs some work save a little between now and then and hopefully all will go well for you. If and when something goes wrong then you like all of us will have to decide either to sell or fix and keep. May you enjoy it until then and may the road be kind to you as you rip it up!
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 5:49 pm

Wink

I have been patiently waiting for someone to get so upset with one of the known failures happening to him that he wants to dump the bike cheap, unrepaired. So far though, after some teeth gnashing, and wailing, the victims usually get the bike fixed and after getting back on the road realize it was not so bad as to make them want to give up all the good the LT offers.

Good for them, bad for me.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:20 pm
KIC

Welcome to the insanity. Take your meds and enjoy the forum, then go out and ride that puppy !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welcomesign.gif
Views:	15
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	16393  
Attached Images

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:34 pm

I love something Mark Twain said,

"Some really bad things happened in my life...and some of them really happened." Ride...ride and ride.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in